PDA

View Full Version : Tables and chairs

25F
14th Apr 2022, 02:29
Courtesy of Mr. Boeing and MOL I was sat today wondering what is so difficult about providing a table that is actually horizontal, as I held beverages in one hand and attempted to eat nibbles from a tube of potato-related snacks wedged between my thighs. Because, of course, anything that isn't in the slight depression that is the "cup holder" will start to slide down towards you.
I do not recall problems like this in my VC-10 youth.
Could one just design the thing to operate at the correct angle in the cruise?
Or maybe even provide some adjustment mechanism?
Or even (crazy idea) some sort of cup holder that could come out of the arm rest or seat in front?
Obvs: anything more complicated incurs higher maintenance. But as far as I can work out the thing has been *designed* to tip stuff on to your lap.

25F
10th May 2022, 20:13
On my last two flights I used my phone to measure the angle of the table on the ground and in the cruise. (Bit sad, but you need to make your own entertainment sometimes).
Sure enough on the first it was dead level on the ground and pitched towards me by two degrees in the cruise. On the next it was already pitched towards me by two degrees on the ground. Clearly over time the table gets worse.
But why on earth design it to be level on the ground, where nobody uses it?

DaveReidUK
11th May 2022, 06:39
On my last two flights I used my phone to measure the angle of the table on the ground and in the cruise. (Bit sad, but you need to make your own entertainment sometimes).
Sure enough on the first it was dead level on the ground and pitched towards me by two degrees in the cruise. On the next it was already pitched towards me by two degrees on the ground. Clearly over time the table gets worse.
But why on earth design it to be level on the ground, where nobody uses it?

Next time you're on a longish flight, measure the table angle at the start and end of cruise. They will differ.

S.o.S.
11th May 2022, 17:29
A very good question 25F. The only problem now is that I am going to have to start checking tray tables! In older aircraft, they sometimes list to one side as well.