PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Australia and its boss Jayne Hrdlicka hit with bullying claim

Sunfish
12th Apr 2022, 21:04
Virgin Australia and its high-flying chief executive Jayne Hrdlicka have been accused of bullying a senior pilot at the airline group in a Fair Work court case.

Captain Michael Fitzgerald launched Federal Court action on Tuesday against the airline.

A Virgin Australia spokeswoman confirmed it was being sued by the company’s former general manager of flight operations after an extended period of personal leave. The company also confirmed that allegations had been made directly against Hrdlicka.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/virgin-australia-and-its-boss-jayne-hrdlicka-hit-with-bullying-claim-20220412-p5ad1p.html

That might be hard to prove, . Not all bullying involves direct threats to a person. The subtle form is "social bullying" - a campaign of deliberate exclusion from the activities of the management group. Invitations dry up, names get left off meeting attendance or document distribution lists, etc. It is very hard to prove such things because they involve sins of omission, not commission.

No Idea Either
12th Apr 2022, 21:44
oh I don’t know Sunny, most corporate bullying docs usually include ‘omission” as a contributor. Not defending the fellow, glad to see him go. And what about this ‘pearler’ from The Australian;

The airline told The Australian Mr Aggs “was *responsible for making all decisions in relation to Mr Fitzgerald’s employment”

Look out Stu, a big yellow bus is about to come your way……….

lucille
13th Apr 2022, 01:56
I read the article and I was curious to see how bullying was defined and Googled my way to horror. Sure put the heebie jeebies up me. At the end of the day, anything that might melt a snowflake can be construed as bullying. Saying the wrong thing or not saying the right thing can be construed as bullying. Thing is, "wrong" and "right" in that context gets to be defined by the victim.

Indeed, will a V1 cut with a 20 knot crosswind component in the sim be defined as bullying? Will taking over a mishandled approach on the line be considered bullying? Will calling for the before landing checklist without appending the word "please" to the request be considered bullying? Its looking like this new age workplace is not for the faint of heart.

PoppaJo
13th Apr 2022, 02:15
I wouldn’t have been hanging around too long post once PS had been given orders to depart. This behaviour is common during these executive transition periods, most of the previous executives left pronto. It was clear she was going to cause havoc amongst anyone from Virgin Mark 1 who remained.

dr dre
13th Apr 2022, 02:56
I read the article and I was curious to see how bullying was defined and Googled my way to horror. Sure put the heebie jeebies up me.At the end of the day, anything that might melt a snowflake can be construed as bullying. Saying the wrong thing or not saying the right thing can be construed as bullying.

That’s pretty much all incorrect. Read the actual WH&S law:

Workplace bullying and the law (https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/workplace-bullying-and-law)

Workplace bullying is repeated, unreasonable behaviour directed at an employee or group of employees that creates a risk to health and safety.

Indeed, will a V1 cut with a 20 knot crosswind component in the sim be defined as bullying?

No because:

constructive comments which are objective and indicate observable deficiencies in performance or conduct and constructively delivered feedback or counselling intended to help employees to improve their work performance

(Ie feedback comments about on a sim) are not considered bullying.

Will taking over a mishandled approach on the line be considered bullying?

Again:

genuine and reasonable instructions

are not considered bullying.

Its looking like this new age workplace is not for the faint of heart.

You mean not for those who think being a complete knob to your co-workers is OK?

tossbag
13th Apr 2022, 06:23
It's relatively straight forward to terminate employment for non performance. So long as you follow procedure. Most important thing is accurate note keeping.

No need for bullying, those who do it usually can't help themselves, leaving themselves open to fair work claims.

minigundiplomat
13th Apr 2022, 07:30
It's relatively straight forward to terminate employment for non performance. So long as you follow procedure. Most important thing is accurate note keeping.

No need for bullying, those who do it usually can't help themselves, leaving themselves open to fair work claims.

A fair work claim is pretty much part of the exit process for any management pilot.

Icarus2001
13th Apr 2022, 13:38
Have a look at what is on offer if one wins a claim…not much.

Jet Jockey
13th Apr 2022, 22:54
Maybe Jayne should install a female chief pilot like she did at Jetstar. Problems solved!

PoppaJo
14th Apr 2022, 02:24
Another article from News Corp just released. While typically during executive team changeovers, the ‘cleaning out’ phase or so on, expect a few disagreements along the way, but we are onto the fourth or fifth article now. I’m sorry but get her out and put someone else in the job. It’s a train wreck.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/virgin-culture-in-question-as-more-staff-depart/news-story/e63cdd2e0272c40a2e56d92b445191de?amp

Ollie Onion
14th Apr 2022, 02:29
Having seen Jayne in action these rumours do not surprise me, she speaks about how she appreciates all the staff in the media and then sets about destroying their terms and conditions behind the scenes.

Icarus2001
14th Apr 2022, 02:36
PoppaJo the link is behind a paywall. :bored:

PoppaJo
14th Apr 2022, 04:43
PoppaJo the link is behind a paywall. :bored:
I see. Sorry worked for me, however here is another summary from AA. In other news, it would appear some are jumping ship to Bonza also.

https://australianaviation.com.au/2022/04/exit-of-virgins-group-medical-officer-raises-more-culture-questions/

anonfly
14th Apr 2022, 11:02
How is any of this surprising? She is known for leaving a path of destruction where ever she turns up.
I wouldn’t mind the “hard arse” attitude if it meant results. More often it doesn’t. Demoralised workforce and people leave in droves.
Maybe she should sit in on a few NTS courses 😂

PammyAnderson
27th Jul 2022, 11:20
From the SMH today :

https://amp.smh.com.au/business/companies/ansett-old-boys-club-virgin-pilot-details-hrdlicka-bullying-claims-20220727-p5b50r.html

rowdy trousers
27th Jul 2022, 12:19
And her hand picked chief pilot appointment at Jetstar to combat the Ansett old boy’s club was a resounding success 😩

Sunfish
27th Jul 2022, 17:25
Having personally been bullied by a senior female manager, I can attest that the activity is no laughing matter. Women managers do it very subtly through “social bullying” -something they learn, I think, as teenage girls.

‘’Virgins defence sounds plausible on the surface unless you have actually experienced social bullying. It includes a whole series of actions, each in itself apparently trivial, but in totality they produce a devastating result. I do not know if Virgin did any of the things I list below.

‘Examples of tactics:

- whispering campaigns about a persons personal life. (eg: rumors about alcohol use, domestic violence, sexual behaviour , etc)

- “accidental” (not) omission from invitation lists for work related social functions. ( wait till you see your boss take several of your subordinates to lunch without inviting you, etc)

- curtailment of your company representation role at industry seminars, meetings, etc.

- Gaslighting.

- deliberate sabotage of your operational role. (eg/; delays in accessing reports, budgets and other necessary documents)

- “accidental” omission from meeting invitations, distribution lists, etc., followed by blaming you for being “out of touch” with operations.

- unreasonable work related demands, such as impossible reporting deadlines.

​​​​​​…….Those are just a few “mean girl” tactics I and others, have experienced in another industry. They all sound trivial and plausibly deniable by the company if they are taken individually. However humans are very good at discerning patterns of behavior. Your subordinates will know you are marked for removal before you do.

‘’It’s not hard to end up with PTSD from this behaviour.

Snakecharma
27th Jul 2022, 21:43
pot, kettle, black

Paragraph377
27th Jul 2022, 22:31
One doesn’t become the CEO of an entity by being ‘nice’. A high percentage of CEO’s get to that level because they are psychopaths or sociopaths (there are some good books out there that cover these types of people). Either of these personalities don’t make for a ‘nice’ person in the least, and selfish, vindictive, narcissistic and bullying traits usually become manifested and quite obvious as enough time passes by. In short, most CEO’s are complete assholes.

Now, if you have a CEO who is brought in to rebuild a business with the view to the business being sold off or floated in the share market, which in turn will see the CEO receive tens of millions of dollars as the reward for their hard work, well you are going to have a CEO who is likely to be a hard knuckled vicious asswipe who will stop at nothing to receive their large pot of gold awaiting them at the foot of the rainbow.

C441
27th Jul 2022, 23:42
And it gradually filters down the hierarchical tree. As each level of management is subjected to the bullying from above, so do they apply the same pressures to the employees they oversee simply to ‘survive’. It takes a while but soon you have a quite toxic culture in the organisation; something that was quite evident some years ago at the other airline of significance.

It takes a very strong manager to resist the temptation from above. Thankfully there were a couple in QCC. Hopefully VA have a couple who’ll provide a more appropriate environment.

VH-ABC
27th Jul 2022, 23:44
Methinks this is not the first time this lady has been sued. Or the last…

AerialPerspective
28th Jul 2022, 12:20
If anyone thinks that bullying only started at VA after JH arrived, then they are way off the mark.

It has had an utterly toxic culture for quite some time. Good people get thrown out or squashed in that place and in many instances, complete and utter morons get promoted. I mean, I can think of one example but I won't give too many details as this is supposed to be an anonymous forum; but imagine someone who is so incompetent they can't even handle their job or one several rungs below it, who behaves in a manner (such as at functions) that would have them fired from any other company (such as the sort of stuff that would be frowned upon even in Mad Men) and they actually get promoted.

In the comments section of an aviation publication some months ago there was a mention of someone that had got made redundant and the comments section basically had responses such as 'hope the replacement is actually interested in their department and not in advancing themselves at the expense of morale and doing their job'.

I knew who they were talking about and the person concerned had been on a fast-track and no one could see it.

Here's where it gets complicated. Since JH arrived, more than a few of those types have been shown the door. Thus, not sure everything she is doing at VA is bad IMHO.

The accusations may be true about JH but looking at it on the surface, I tend to think what's missing is context. I mean the comment about the Ansett boys-club, was it said laughingly with a smile and now the words alone are being weaponised??

nonsense
28th Jul 2022, 15:28
...In the comments section of an aviation publication some months ago there was a mention of someone that had got made redundant and the comments section basically had responses such as 'hope the replacement is actually interested in their department and not in advancing themselves at the expense of morale and doing their job'.
That alone tells you something about the organisation concerned; redundancy is what happens when the job ceases to exist and the person becomes redundant.
If as you describe apparently everyone knew there would be a replacement then that's not a legitimate redundancy.

Paragraph377
28th Jul 2022, 21:39
Virgin has always had a fear of hiring ex-Ansett staff. They did it from day 1 of operation and tried to avoid hiring pilots, cabin crew and ground staff. The Virgin culture became toxic early in its life as an airline and it sounds like that is still the case.

PoppaJo
28th Jul 2022, 23:55
Why is this even being broadcast across the nation? Who cares. Keep it behind closed doors like the million other HR cases that employers deal with every day. This case isn’t unique and it isn’t the first.

wombat watcher
29th Jul 2022, 00:12
Virgin has always had a fear of hiring ex-Ansett staff. They did it from day 1 of operation and tried to avoid hiring pilots, cabin crew and ground staff. The Virgin culture became toxic early in its life as an airline and it sounds like that is still the case.

Are you sure?
The inaugural Chief Pilot was an ex Ansett pilot ,Indeed, he was the Ansett VP in the AFAP in the 1989 dispute.

Lookleft
29th Jul 2022, 00:31
The inaugural Chief Pilot was an ex Ansett pilot ,Indeed, he was the Ansett VP in the AFAP in the 1989 dispute.

Thats true. He was also the person who first introduced pay for your own type rating with an Australian domestic airline. He was also the person who became very wealthy when Virgin was floated. To clarify P377's comment, Ansett pilots were employed by Virgin but they were aka "The Dirty Dozen". If you were employed by Ansett after July 1990 then you were a "cleanskin" and were an acceptable Ansett pilot. Anyone employed between 1989 and that date in 1990, or you had certain surnames, were never going to get in. There was a story of one young bloke in the latter category who was invited for an interview but at the end of the process the interview "team" kept repeating his surname and told him that there would be no position for him in Virgin. So this statement from P377 is correct:

The Virgin culture became toxic early in its life as an airline and it sounds like that is still the case.

Jack D. Ripper
29th Jul 2022, 03:37
I suspect there is a lot more to this than makes sensationalist reading.

Can’t imagine Jayne or Bain tolerating mediocrity, particularly given the perilous nature of the airline (and industry) at the time.

Old mate may have simply found he was not a good fit for the new performance culture.

Paragraph377
29th Jul 2022, 06:32
Are you sure?
Indeed the first CP was ex-Ansett, but he sure as hell made sure other Ansett pilots weren’t employed. Spineless turncoat. I know a lot more information first hand, including information that came directly from the office of the inaugural HR manager and several other members of Godfrey’s boys club, but I will decline to comment about that publicly for legal reasons. Suffice to say there are many stories told at the odd pissup of former AN, ANZ and other airlines. But as mentioned, the toxicity commenced very early in the peace. So yes, one or two ex-AN have gotten through, but less than 1%.

Branson sold the public and the staff his fluffy nice guy/just here to make aviation fun and fair bull**** and people swallowed it hook, line and sinker. VB staff, and then VA, climbed over each other to rise through the ranks. Nothing has changed over the past 2 decades, if anything it has gotten worse.

Make no bones about it, JH is there to build up the company on behalf of her Wall Street masters and then flog the lemon on the sharemarket, again. Her take will be huge and she will then ride off into the sunset with tens of millions in the bank. It’s been done before. Remember the initial float of VA, while loyalist staff worked for peanuts and the airline owned no assets they floated the lemon and Branson made around $960m, Godfrey and Sherrard made close to $100m each and other members of the boys club made anywhere between $1m and $10m. not a bad little earner ey? When it is floated again JH won’t have to work for a very long time. That’s the thing about the Wall Street white shoe brigade, they always take a big chunk of coin while the peasants fight over the carcass.

Chronic Snoozer
29th Jul 2022, 07:15
Make no bones about it, JH is there to build up the company on behalf of her Wall Street masters and then flog the lemon on the sharemarket, again. Her take will be huge and she will then ride off into the sunset with tens of millions in the bank.

Whilst making rank and file employees feel bad they dared to ask for a 2% pay rise……

Servo
29th Jul 2022, 07:54
Whilst making rank and file employees feel bad they dared to ask for a 2% pay rise……

Whilst flight crew got a 20% pay cut. Nice.

Red69
29th Jul 2022, 08:41
That will hopefully change if the union grows a back bone.
There's been no better time in history to be fighting for a pay rise. There are labour shortages all around and there are plenty of pilot jobs around. Come EBA time VA pilots should be fighting for that 20% pay cut back plus inflation over the last few years. It should be a significant pay bump to get them back to where they should be. I imagine industrial action will be well and truly on the cards for the pilots to get what they want.

Paragraph377
29th Jul 2022, 10:30
That will hopefully change if the union grows a back bone.
There's been no better time in history to be fighting for a pay rise. There are labour shortages all around and there are plenty of pilot jobs around. Come EBA time VA pilots should be fighting for that 20% pay cut back plus inflation over the last few years. It should be a significant pay bump to get them back to where they should be. I imagine industrial action will be well and truly on the cards for the pilots to get what they want.
Now that 9 years of Liberal mayhem has ended hopefully there will be a slowdown in the stripping away of workers rights, wages, penalties and conditions. Don’t get me wrong, both Liberals and Labor have a lot to answer for, but the Liberals have murdered the lower class and the middle class.

AerialPerspective
29th Jul 2022, 14:03
Having personally been bullied by a senior female manager, I can attest that the activity is no laughing matter. Women managers do it very subtly through “social bullying” -something they learn, I think, as teenage girls.

‘’Virgins defence sounds plausible on the surface unless you have actually experienced social bullying. It includes a whole series of actions, each in itself apparently trivial, but in totality they produce a devastating result. I do not know if Virgin did any of the things I list below.

‘Examples of tactics:

- whispering campaigns about a persons personal life. (eg: rumors about alcohol use, domestic violence, sexual behaviour , etc)

- “accidental” (not) omission from invitation lists for work related social functions. ( wait till you see your boss take several of your subordinates to lunch without inviting you, etc)

- curtailment of your company representation role at industry seminars, meetings, etc.

- Gaslighting.

- deliberate sabotage of your operational role. (eg/; delays in accessing reports, budgets and other necessary documents)

- “accidental” omission from meeting invitations, distribution lists, etc., followed by blaming you for being “out of touch” with operations.

- unreasonable work related demands, such as impossible reporting deadlines.

​​​​​​…….Those are just a few “mean girl” tactics I and others, have experienced in another industry. They all sound trivial and plausibly deniable by the company if they are taken individually. However humans are very good at discerning patterns of behavior. Your subordinates will know you are marked for removal before you do.

‘’It’s not hard to end up with PTSD from this behaviour.

Sunfish, I too have been a recipient but from an all male show. In my case, I demonstrably in any objective manner, outperformed every other manager and arguably had more support and respect of my subordinates than any of the others that did the bullying and gas-lighting. The senior manager even interviewed my staff in groups to gain 'intelligence' so he could 'help me' - he ended up with egg on his face as there was absolutely nothing that was shared by my people other than general frustrations which they indicated were not down to me, but him and the rest of management.

This person also ambushed several of my direct reports and tried to get some sort of dirt on me. It netted him nothing but he painted it to me as they had come to him of their own volition without any encouragement. When I was confronted with this I asked him "Such as what??". He couldn't come up with one single problem they allegedly highlighted. So I threw a subject in that I knew they didn't blame me for but was a corporate failure and he grabbed it with both hands and said "Oh, Yes, That's right, that was one thing".

When I confronted him months later with this little escapade (as none of the URGENT followup he indicated ever took place, he just quietly dropped the whole thing) he said "I was trying to help" and I said "No, you were trying to set me up".

There's so much more but I think I had reached the point where I wanted out anyway so I used the exercise to completely and utterly dismantle him and any points he raised. As for my peers, one of them accused me of stopping him from 'achieving greatness' to which I replied that this attitude was pretty rich coming from someone, I reminded him who my department had not only met all of its targets but had spent time preparing a training session for his staff to expand their understanding to which he had dismissively replied "It's a waste of time, they can't understand it". (yes, denigrating the intelligence of his own people).

Add to this, constantly talking over me at meetings, interrupting, undermining, doing nothing then trying to shift blame. Using every weasel word management-speak BS expression to try and gaslight me into doubting myself.

Unfortunately I'd been around too long and run into and put in their place, the full range of narcissists, sociopaths and no-hopers in my career.

I won't say it wasn't stressful, but my response to it was to channel that stress into smart, cutting and confronting responses that exposed their bastardry.

Imagine my surprise when I was invited to a meeting with 5 minutes notice to discuss a restructure. When I was handed the proposed structure I had to bite my lip not to laugh when it - surprise surprise - excluded my position.

When the final decision was made, they tried to sit and run through how great the new structure was going to be and I just looked at my manager and said "With all due respect, my reading of the situation is that I am now out of a job and redundant, so the structure is not in my immediate field of view nor in any way relevant to my future, therefore, I'd just as soon ask that you keep it to yourself (then, turning to the HR Rep I continued) How much and when does it get paid??". She explained the numbers and I said "OK, thanks. I'll get back to work".

I then proceeded to conduct myself in a thoroughly professional manner for my last 4 weeks. This, despite the pretenders and frankly, MBA-type 'nappy rashes' they were pretending had sufficient knowledge and could easily fill the gap, spending all of their time in my department 'learning the ropes' (an admission they had ZERO idea) with some of my direct reports saying to me "Do these people have no shame, it's like you just died and their arguing over which part of your grave they want".

There was one enjoyable part in all this and it was patiently waiting and observing how long it took my so-called 'colleagues' to crawl out of their snake pit and summon enough guts to talk to me. One of them said "I'm sorry" to which I replied "Sorry for what". Response was "Oh, I just worry about your kids". I then looked him in the eye and said "My kids are fine. They have two parents who love them. Please, do NOT waste a nano-second of emotional energy worrying about me, I am absolutely fine. I used to bill $2000 per day as a consultant (bravado I admit) and I am perfectly fine." Don't waste your time on me.

I was so cool and calculated in my tone and body language they didn't know where to look. One by one it was enjoyable to watch them squirm.

I've been in the industry 40 years and that was the most disgusting, disrespectful, infantile and incompetent act I've ever seen by a manager who talked the good show but when it came down to it was influenced by the mob and utterly incapable of separating genuine intent from manipulation. He didn't last long afterward which is really funny because if he'd acted differently, the entire organisation would have been better for it.

Many of the staff in my department left the company, a number stating in their exit interview that it was because they didn't want to work for a company that treated people the way they treated me.

I walked out with my head held high. I never bagged anyone behind their backs but told some of them to their face what the reality was.

The worst of them got promoted after I left and still pathetically clings on to any way to keep a job to this day - he reminds me of the old Keating line of "dragging and scraping his carcass around and fusing it to whomever can keep him from having to join the unemployed" because the person I'm talking about knows that trolley pusher is about what they'd get in the open market.

It's only because I come from a line of strong leaders in my ancestry, including a father who had more integrity and guts than anyone I've ever known and a GF and Great GF who were both in law enforcement that I was able to weather the anxiety and stress.

I walked away with more of their money than had I resigned and I walked away with my reputation intact and the ability to sleep at night because I also looked after and entrenched the good people that I know 'they' would have destroyed after I exited.

AerialPerspective
29th Jul 2022, 14:27
Now that 9 years of Liberal mayhem has ended hopefully there will be a slowdown in the stripping away of workers rights, wages, penalties and conditions. Don’t get me wrong, both Liberals and Labor have a lot to answer for, but the Liberals have murdered the lower class and the middle class.

I used to try and be balanced in politics but the Liberals have completely **** their nest as far as I'm concerned. My family used to vote Liberal many years ago but never again.

The best thing that could happen for this country at this point is for the Liberal Party to disappear back under the rock from which, in it's current form, it has emerged from and die a natural death, let the Nationals return to the agrarian snobs they always were and bring on the Teal Party and the New Liberals to provide a counterweight to Labor and the Greens. Hopefully that way we can go back to a place where general competence prevails even though the political cycle may deliver results that move between classical liberalism and social progressiveness.

What we have now is an ALP which, probably in the interests of survival for a better day ahead has been a bit me-too when it came to national security BS and a Liberal Party that is out and out corrupt and for which there is no line of decency that they won't cross. Thus, they need to be executed as a political force and let's go back to progressives and small 'L' liberals.

AerialPerspective
29th Jul 2022, 14:31

And as a result (not only Ansett, by the way, Qantas and TN as well) their operation is a joke, largely directed by kids virtually out of high school and MBA types who populated all the plethora of 'specialist' roles, none of whom were specialists in anything other than BS.

Sunfish
29th Jul 2022, 22:13
Aerial perspective + 1.

‘’I’ve had most of that directed at me, including being asked to write a report recommending a dodgy $10 million investment that had the sole purpose of getting my boss a seat on the Board of a venture capital company, something she greatly prized. When I refused my days were numbered. I found out later she went behind my back to get one of my staff to write that recommendation. He refused too.

‘’She cost that business at least $250 million as well as carefully searching through the organization and destroying every pocket of management expertise she found because anyone with expertise was deemed a “threat” to her. Those that left were replaced with (mostly female) incompetent sycophants.

‘’She had an AM and proceeded to wreck more organizations before retiring. I read about the failure of the last business that she chaired only a few weeks ago.

‘’As you said, the most important thing is being able to sleep at night - the “sleep test”.

Jack D. Ripper
30th Jul 2022, 06:06
And as a result (not only Ansett, by the way, Qantas and TN as well) their operation is a joke, largely directed by kids virtually out of high school and MBA types who populated all the plethora of 'specialist' roles, none of whom were specialists in anything other than BS.

What makes you think VA has a monopoly on ‘MBA types’? Not even close.

Does it surprise you? They are smart, think alike, are commercially savvy, work as a team and can communicate incredibly effectively.

Sadly the reality is that the days of people with deep operational experience running airlines are long gone.

AerialPerspective
30th Jul 2022, 07:46
That alone tells you something about the organisation concerned; redundancy is what happens when the job ceases to exist and the person becomes redundant.
If as you describe apparently everyone knew there would be a replacement then that's not a legitimate redundancy.

i never said everyone knew, just that the comments were a commentary on the person they'd just got rid of - saying that hopefully the next person will be interested in the job and achieving something and not spending their entire time feathering their own nest and preparing for their next move. They meant, I think, whatever role popped up with similar responsibilities. I'm not entirely sure that the person wasn't dispensed with for organising a job with a competitor on company time, but that's only hearsay.

AerialPerspective
30th Jul 2022, 07:47
What makes you think VA has a monopoly on ‘MBA types’? Not even close.

Does it surprise you? They are smart, think alike, are commercially savvy, work as a team and can communicate incredibly effectively.

Sadly the reality is that the days of people with deep operational experience running airlines are long gone.

Did I say anywhere that I confined my comments to VA?? Although the thread is about Virgin Australia, so why other companies are being brought into it is beyond me.

I agree though, it's ALL of industry now, not just aviation.

AerialPerspective
30th Jul 2022, 07:52
Aerial perspective + 1.

‘’I’ve had most of that directed at me, including being asked to write a report recommending a dodgy $10 million investment that had the sole purpose of getting my boss a seat on the Board of a venture capital company, something she greatly prized. When I refused my days were numbered. I found out later she went behind my back to get one of my staff to write that recommendation. He refused too.

‘’She cost that business at least $250 million as well as carefully searching through the organization and destroying every pocket of management expertise she found because anyone with expertise was deemed a “threat” to her. Those that left were replaced with (mostly female) incompetent sycophants.

‘’She had an AM and proceeded to wreck more organizations before retiring. I read about the failure of the last business that she chaired only a few weeks ago.

‘’As you said, the most important thing is being able to sleep at night - the “sleep test”.

Yep, and I forgot to mention, although your response about the report put it in my mind, one-on-one conversations with my manager who agreed with everything then at the next management meeting virtually parroted everything I'd said including my conclusions and analysis and passed it off as his own thoughts.

That was the point where I realised early on that I was dealing with a low-altitude-flyer (no pun intended) who had absolutely zero nous or ability to be circumspect about others and was just influenced by the most manipulative and treasure-seeking of the group. Never ever questioned or looked into their performance, but believed everything they said about me.

Unfortunately, industry is replete with these unintelligent know-nothings who climb their way up by stumbling from one disaster to another and blaming everyone else but themselves.

Dunning-Kruger Effect writ large.

Sparrows.
30th Jul 2022, 09:56
Although the thread is about Virgin Australia, so why other companies are being brought into it is beyond me.

Because every Aus/NZ thread turns into a Qantas discussion. Unfortunately I think it must be a Pprune Law.

AerialPerspective
30th Jul 2022, 11:06
Because every Aus/NZ thread turns into a Qantas discussion. Unfortunately I think it must be a Pprune Law.

Yes. True. A form of 'whataboutism'. Can't criticise any company without the inevitable "but what about what xyz airlines did......."

C441
1st Aug 2022, 03:02
Now that's gotta be a Pprune record.
In cricket terms, Aerial's managed a "7 for…" (7 out of ten posts) including 2 hat-tricks! :) :ok:

Sunfish
1st Aug 2022, 07:30
Jack D Ripper: What makes you think VA has a monopoly on ‘MBA types’? Not even close.

Yes Jack, I have one of the better ones and you flatter me. However it is a total, fatal, fallacy that possession of that qualification means that you can manage anything at all without direct personal coal face experience of the industry concerned. It is utter BS and my career is living proof of that.

In fact the decay of so many institutions and companies around the world is caused by this creeping credentialism. You need coal face experience or you are just another empty suit parroting empty phrases. I think it’s now “ESG” and “triple bottom line”. When I was anointed the bible was the book “In search of excellence” that talked about such management concepts as “simultaneous loose / tight requirements and similar malarkey . One of the touted examples of excellence was Boeing. Remind me how that worked out.

My reading of what happened is that the CP was asked to screw his own workforce for the benefit of investors and when he wouldn’t he was replaced by someone who would. Narcissists have no problem being ruthless however I would have thought that if pilots are true professionals, then they have a professional code that overrides company financial objectives. Requiring a pilot/manager to act counter to that duty to their profession is impossible.

Jack D. Ripper
1st Aug 2022, 12:29
I don’t disagree with you Sunfish. Nor do I place too much emphasis on the MBA, more on the the Plat du jour.

PPRuNeUser0198
19th Aug 2022, 06:50
Virgin claims the CP only made bully accusations after his request for a $0.9m payout and gold status lounge access was declined. And he would have "departed quietly if a deal was reached"...

https://australianaviation.com.au/2022/08/pilot-claiming-bullying-asked-for-900000-say-virgin/ (https://www.linkedin.com/posts/austaviation_pilot-claiming-bullying-asked-for-900000-activity-6966271496583315456-hr6O?utm_source=linkedin_share&utm_medium=ios_app)

PoppaJo
19th Aug 2022, 08:21
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/virgin-files-defence-to-bullying-claims-against-jayne-hrdlicka/news-story/f6187ca189ae6807f338e4407ec76809

Virgin files defence to bullying claims against Jayne Hrdlicka

Virgin Australia has filed an explosive defence to a bullying complaint by former chief pilot Michael Fitzgerald, claiming he only took legal action when his demand for almost $1m to “go quietly” was rejected. Mr Fitzgerald lodged an unfair dismissal complaint against Virgin Australia in April, shortly after he was terminated following an extended period of medical and personal leave.

He claimed he was “discriminated against for mental illness and injury, caused by the conduct of Ms Hrdlicka”, alleging she spoke down to him in group settings, and blamed him when pilots rejected a new enterprise agreement (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/exvirgin-chief-pilot-takes-aim-at-ceo-jayne-hrdlicka-in-unfair-dismissal-claim/news-story/c2622bef1e89bde6de24db0c4ce43e63).

In its defence filed in the Federal Circuit Court on Thursday, Virgin Australia denied any wrongdoing by Ms Hrdlicka and said Mr Fitzgerald raised the prospect of redundancy after three months of medical leave between July and October 2021.

After seeking advice, chief operating officer Stuart Aggs told him a redundancy was not available but Mr Fitzgerald could exit on his current salary terms.

“No allegation was made at that time that Mr Fitzgerald had been bullied at work, and no further information was provided regarding his medical condition,” the defence states.

Two weeks later, he was informed of his entitlement to 12-weeks pay, or $86,148, if he wished to resign subject to him signing a deed of release.

In response to the offer, Mr Fitzgerald’s barrister Chris Watters sent a letter enclosing a demand for $925,000 plus other benefits including gold status Virgin lounge access, staff travel and related in-air benefits.

Virgin Australia reinstated its previous offer, prompting Mr Watters to send another letter requesting a severance payment of $769,700.

“Mr Fitzgerald’s preference is not to engage in complex, expensive and protracted litigation,” said Mr Watters’ letter.

Sign up“Mr Fitzgerald is prepared to depart the company quietly, and on good terms, subject to payment of a settlement sum of $769,700 by way of an ex-gratia payment (that is not taxable) to be paid to Mr Fitzgerald’s bank account.”

According to Virgin Australia’s defence, the demand was rejected on December 17, and on December 22 Mr Fitzgerald filed an application for a “stop bullying order” in the Fair Work Commission.

“This was the first occasion on which Mr Fitzgerald had ever raised any allegations that he had been bullied at work,” said the defence.

His application was set down for a conference in the commission on March 1, 2022, and in the meantime Mr Fitzgerald attended two independent medical assessments at Virgin’s request.

On the morning of March 1, Mr Aggs made the decision to terminate his position, based on his receipt of the medical reports indicating he was “permanently unfit for work”.

“No part of Mr Aggs’ reasons for dismissing Mr Fitzgerald, were because he made an application for stop bullying orders,” said the defence.

Virgin Australia denied other claims made by Mr Fitzgerald regarding his treatment by Ms Hrdlicka, including an allegation she referred to him as “another one of the Ansett old boys’ club”.

The defence also denied that Ms Hrdlicka blamed him when pilots voted down a new enterprise agreement, or accused him of “failing to rally the troops”.

The matter has been set down for mediation on November 15.

Sunfish
19th Aug 2022, 14:44
My take if what I read if it is an accurate reflection of what was said is that Fitzgerald was told he was expected to behave towards his staff with the same level of care as his boss. Every member of Virgins management will eventually be faced with the same choice: align themselves with Bain behaviour or leave with their professional standards intact.

‘’’I wrote about this type of behaviour in general in 2020. In my opinion Bain wil leave a trail of broken staff, suppliers, customers and mum and dad investors by the time they finally finish sucking the blood out of everyone connected with Virgin.:

You still haven’t seen the claws or smelt the rotting breath of this vampire. Nothing you can think of in your worst nightmares is impossible as long as it’s legal. Don’t you realise that you are standing between the Bain staff and a generational fortune? Some of you still don’t get it. These guys are going to walk away with fortunes that will support their great grandchildren. That is why I keep reminding you about their exit strategy.

When you sit down at table with them remember that. What is at stake is your salary versus them becoming rich beyond the dreams of avarice. Plan accordingly.j

To put it another way, what happened at the milk company?

https://www.afr.com/rear-window/a2-milk-challenges-jayne-hrdlicka-s-falsehoods-20210316-p57b8w

Anyone for tennis?

https://www.crikey.com.au/2022/01/24/tennis-australia-double-fault-in-tiley-hrdlicka-double-act/

Snakecharma
19th Aug 2022, 23:06
Sunfish - I won’t say too much, however the fact that the individual in question (not the CEO) is claiming “bullying” is karmic to say the least.

There is a trail of people who have been victim to his behaviour and that of his cronies - many of whom are still there. Aided and abetted by a senior operations executive

TBM-Legend
20th Aug 2022, 05:45
Why is this even being broadcast across the nation? Who cares. Keep it behind closed doors like the million other HR cases that employers deal with every day. This case isn’t unique and it isn’t the first.

because it’s in the newspapers. What are you on about?

the children on here should spend more time doing other things than complain incessantly about everything

kitchen bench
20th Aug 2022, 06:09
should spend more time doing other things than complain

but you're here complaining :confused:

Sunfish
20th Aug 2022, 20:24
TBM, the implication is that the entire management structure of Virgin will be populated with clones of the CEO. Plan accordingly. All this case is about is that one senior manager allegedly objected to being absorbed by the borg and was allegedly bullied out of the organisation as a consequence.

PoppaJo
20th Aug 2022, 21:24
Aided and abetted by a senior operations executive
Old mate from Jetstar Ops is going, I wonder if she has the seat warmed for him? Aggs is last man standing from memory.

Paragraph377
21st Aug 2022, 02:01
Old mate from Jetstar Ops is going, I wonder if she has the seat warmed for him? Aggs is last man standing from memory.
Mrs Jane must have photos of Stewie with a goat! Thought she would have cut him loose long ago as he is a dud relic from the early VB days.