PDA

View Full Version : EASA 1st class medical and limitations

Tigerflash
10th Apr 2022, 07:09
Hello everyone , hope you guys are well .

I am in the process of converting my ICAO CPL to an EASA fATPL (I have about 1400 hours) .
Problem is that my class 1 medical (French CAA) was issued with 2 restrictions. SSL ( I basically can only renew my medical at the same medical center it was issued) and a TML (Time limitation of the medical’s validity ) of 12 months.

As I am unfamiliar with EASA land, I would like to know if this will be a deal breaker in terms of employment opportunities in Europe .

squarecrow
10th Apr 2022, 08:19
EASA Class 1 is valid for 12 months normally. I take it you are under 50?

Class 2 medical certificates shall be valid for a period of:
(i) 60 months, until the licence holder reaches the age of 40. A medical certificate
issued prior to the licence holder reaching the age of 40 shall cease to be valid after
the licence holder reaches the age of 42;
(ii) 24 months, for licence holders aged between 40 and 50. A medical certificate
issued prior to the licence holder reaching the age of 50 shall cease to be valid after
the licence holder reaches the age of 51;
(iii) 12 months, for licence holders aged above 50.

I guess the TML is for class 2 privilages so you must revalidate medical at 12 months irrespective of if you need class 1 or 2.

I personally dont see why your SSL should be held against you, I know of 1 Pilot who has an OML on class 1, this means this person
must fly as or with a Co-pilot. Cant fly Single pilot commercial ops, eg cant fly a Piper Navajo on Air Taxi work, Can fly as crew on
Multi pilot certified aircraft like a Boeing which this person is flying.

Tigerflash
10th Apr 2022, 08:31
Thank you for your answer !

As far as I understand the TVL would only affect my class 2 privileges.

it’s been a bit stressful since I really want to fly in Europe at some point of my career.

Any idea how easy it is to remove a limitation from a medical? I was given the TML and SSL because of mild asthma. As of today I haven’t had any symptoms in close to 15 years and live a completely normal life. Been flying for 10 years now….

squarecrow
13th Apr 2022, 07:48
No problem.

Unfortunately I cant give you an answer to your question. It would depend on the individual case and
the Country Authority Aero medical section and there Guidelines etc. May I suggest from what you are saying you have a look
and see if the State Authority who granted your Class 1 has a procedure for you to request a secondary
assessment. I can only qoute the UK CAA were you can request that based on your medical history.
In your case No symptoms for a long time. If they do just be prepared to provide relevant medical reports
to support your request.

All the best,