PDA

View Full Version : best way to clock up hours

kebabman
21st Jan 2001, 18:59
After I get my PPL (if i do...) what is the best way to get hours? How many do I need to get my atpl? And how long roughly would it take me to get these hours? Is there any truth in the myth of getting hours by flying as a parachute jumpers pilot? cheers, kebabman

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Jan 2001, 00:50
You'll need at least 150 hours before you can start on an upgrade course to a CPL licence. Most people end up buying those hours in some form or another, many go to places such as Florida where the flying is a lot cheaper.

You can fly parachute aircraft and glider tugs on a PPL (or at least you could under the UK system?) but you'll find that many operators have rather higher insurance minimums than 'brand new PPL' before they'll let you near their aircraft. My local parachute club requires 100 hours pilot in command, for example.

You can knock out 100 hours flying in a few weeks, if you've got the money and you knuckle down. You'll also have to go and do a bunch of theory exams for the JAR ATPL which normally involves a ground course of around 6 months, and the exams themselves at the end.

Then the money spending really starts ... CPL upgrade, instructor rating (if you choose to build the 1000 or so hours you need for the airlines that way), Multi rating, Instrument rating, MCC course, etc etc. I could write about these things forever ... go and get a prospectus from a commercial training school and it will outline most of this stuff in greater detail. Email me and I'll send you one from my mob if you want.
Oh yes - talk to as many people, and check out as many schools as you possibly can before you part with any money, and keep an eye on PPRuNe, you'll need to develop a sixth sense for hype, scams and lies when you're shopping for flying schools!

Best of luck.

Luke S.T.

steven
22nd Jan 2001, 14:41
I personnally built my hours by working in a flying club in exchange for 1 hour per day. This allowed my to get my PPL,night and half way through my IMC for free. Also I got the hours neccessary to start the ATPL's. Why don't you try all your local airfields for any work that may involve partial or total discounted flying. It may involve refuelling aircraft in the wind and rain or doing lots of crummiy jobs but its better than getting in debt from paying for flying yourself.

low n' slow
22nd Jan 2001, 16:07
I'm not shure how things work in the UK but in Sweden the authoroties have given the clubs the responsibility (or at least some of it) of fire surveilance. Quite a simple job actually, just flying nav-routes continously. and observing... Most clubs find it a drag to have to fly these routes (?!) so they're quite often happy to give them away (?!!). My dad's friend raised over a 100 hours in 3 weeks! As I said though, not shure how it works in the UK.
I wouldn't consider towing gliders for hourbuilding as a tow is only about 4-7 min. Perhaps you'd get 1,5 hours a day that way. In that case flying parachuters would be a better option. Although I would think that towing gliders would be a good experience and I should think that it's quite fun to do aswell.
Cheers/ low n slow

aerotowman
22nd Jan 2001, 16:40
Well there's nothing wrong with doing a bit of glider towing to build some hours. You can do it on a PPL in the UK, however you won't get paid. Most clubs insist you have gliding experience and also some tailwheel time.

This is about the time when most clubs start looking for their summer tug pilot. On a busy day you will be doing at least 30 tows a day, which at 10 minutes per tow is about 5 hours per day.

Aerotowman

AYLGR
22nd Jan 2001, 20:15
I thought if you were towing and left the engine running whilst the next guy hooks up, you can log the total time as PIC as you are legally in charge of the aircraft, you certainly don't have to log 30 x 10 min sectors if they are virtually continuous.

Bob

aerotowman
22nd Jan 2001, 20:21
Yes AYGLR you are correct. However it averages out at about 10 minutes per tow. The figures quoted are just to give an idea of how much flying to expect. In addition must operations are reasonably slick so that the time spent waiting for the next guy to hook on is pretty low.

Max L/D
22nd Jan 2001, 20:53
Yes, I would agree that glider towing is an excellent way to build hours. This is providing you don't mind washing the plane at the beginning & end of the day and helping out with general maintenance and chores for no pay.

It is also great fun, and the hours are there to be built if the club is a reasonable size, and you are willing to fly all hours god sends. I built nearly 1000 hours over 2 seasons. Hurry up though as most clubs will be selecting their pilots for this season around now.