PDA

View Full Version : Mess undress

kintyred
5th Apr 2022, 21:44
Hi all,

An ex-service (now civvy) mate of mine has been invited to a unit reunion in an Officers’ Mess and the dress code is ‘mess undress’. Can anyone shed any light on what this means? Thanks in advance for all the really helpful comments!

trim it out
5th Apr 2022, 21:53
Matelot function?

Timelord
5th Apr 2022, 22:25
Black tie / DJ unless he can still get into his No5.

Ascend Charlie
6th Apr 2022, 01:04
Mess Undress was often known as a Pressed Ham on the outside of the Mess windows.

alfred_the_great
6th Apr 2022, 05:27
Black tie

mess dress is white tie.

NutLoose
6th Apr 2022, 10:18
Matelot function?

That'll be anti flash hood, white socks and black shoes.... I don't think I've missed any other clothing off the list.. :E

sittingstress
6th Apr 2022, 18:04
Hi all,

An ex-service (now civvy) mate of mine has been invited to a unit reunion in an Officers’ Mess and the dress code is ‘mess undress’. Can anyone shed any light on what this means? Thanks in advance for all the really helpful comments!

Mess undress is an invention of the untrustworthy inhabitants of HM's grey war canoes.

Please, as a matter of urgency, advise your friend to decline any invitation to be taken up the fo'c'sle by a stoker.

idle bystander
6th Apr 2022, 18:15
Mess undress is an invention of the untrustworthy inhabitants of HM's grey war canoes.

Please, as a matter of urgency, advise your friend to decline any invitation to be taken up the fo'c'sle by a stoker.
Or down to the golden rivet.

langleybaston
6th Apr 2022, 19:11
I cannot resist this tale from Gutersloh.

WO and Sgts Mess New Year Fancy Dress thrash.

A WO turns up, already rat-arsed and is challenged for wearing no fancy dress.

"I'm elephunt!" he said carefully, pulling trouser pockets inside out and flapping them. "Shee?"
"WHERE'S YOUR TRUNK THEN?"

Oh Oh .................

MPN11
7th Apr 2022, 10:16
A tale from the MoD Bean-stealer's Dormitory [aka RAF Uxbridge]. We few genuine Living-In held a small Bad Taste Party. An elderly and quiet gp capt joined in, wearing has normal office suit ... embellished with a breast pocket full of assorted pens. His reputation soared!

langleybaston
7th Apr 2022, 12:18
At least he didn't add an Eagle lapel badge [the older boys' comic of the 1950s].

The lad that always came top of the B stream [A, B, C] did the pens, pencils and badge. To which he added prefect badge in the VI th..

To be fair he is now an Emeritus Professor of the History of Science.