PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Career Advice in the USA

aviator35
5th Apr 2022, 09:17
Hello Guys,

I want to get your opinion about my career progress. Let me give you brief summary of myself.

I'm 32 years old. I have a Ph.D. degree in Aviation Safety. I have worked in Turkish Airlines in the B737 fleet and currently, I am working in Emirates in the B777 fleet. I have accumulated 4500 hours total on jets (B737-B777). I haven't worked as Captain anywhere. So I don't have any PIC. I have a green card and I want to work in the USA. I enrolled in my ATP/CTP course + B777 type rating and I'll get my license in mid-August 2022.

I know the US is hiring like hell now. I want to resign from Emirates and go to the USA. Regarding this, I have a couple of questions. I really appreciate it if you can contribute with your answers.

1-) With zero PIC and 4500 jet hours, Am I competitive enough for majors? I don't want to go Regionals. My plan is to stay at Emirates until I find a good job in the states.
2-) I'm trying to check the companies in the USA but the contracts and everything are a little bit confusing. What airlines, in order, do you recommend for me to apply (salary, LOQ, bases, career opportunities, etc.)?
3-) As I said previously, I will have FAA Medical, ATP license with a B777 rating, and a Radio operator permit in August. Later on, I'll immediately start applying for the FO positions. Where and How can I study for specific airline assessments.
4-) Are low costs good for working in the USA? By knowing the conditions in European's Low costs (Ryanair, Easyjet, etc.), I'm a little bit scared of low costs. I was all the time with Legacies (TK, EK). Do you recommend going to any low-costs in the USA?
5-)What are the things that I need to consider before going the US?
6-)Everyone in my current company is advising me to go to the US, but no one is talking about the cons of doing this. Are there any disadvantages of going to the US over staying in EK?

Thank you so much for the answers in advance.

Climb150
5th Apr 2022, 15:46
My first question is without any PIC, how will you qualify for an FAA ATP?

This website is much better than pprune

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/legacy

bafanguy
5th Apr 2022, 18:56
My first question is without any PIC, how will you qualify for an FAA ATP?

This may shed some light on that issue:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/Data/interps/2012/Duncan-AFS-200_2012_Legal_Interpretation.pdf

bafanguy
5th Apr 2022, 19:07
aviator35,

While I can't answer all your specific questions, I'd say that generally you're competitive in today's hiring environment. Apply to every US airline you're even remotely interested in, take the first offer you get and fine tune your career options/moves from that point.

Get your applications professionally reviewed; money well spent. There are a number of interview prep companies. I have no experience with any of them. Check APC or jet careers for recommendations from people who've used them. Again, money well spent.

When it comes to picking an employer, I wouldn't get too concerned about the labor contracts of one airline vs another. In general terms, the labor contracts of the Big Six, i.e., AA, DL, UA, SW, UPS, FedEx, are all within the very acceptable range. At the LCC level, they aren't as good as the Big Six but may very well suit you just fine. The ACMI carriers are a tough way to earn a living but there is money to be made if you can live with the lifestyle. The regionals ? Ummm, well, they're regionals.

If you don't care where you'd be based, that eliminates an issue many people have. But looking at what bases each airline has can be a big lifestyle factor. Don't commute !

Go for it !!! And do it ASAP so you don't miss the wave.

rudestuff
5th Apr 2022, 19:10
I guess to expand on the original question: in the US its acceptable to log PIC as sole manipulator (read PF) whereas in UK/Europe its not. So a guy in Europe could have 4000TT mainly on Jets but only have 100 PIC, whereas someone in the US could have exactly the same experience, but their logbook might show 4000TT/2000PIC due to the differing rules on logging flight time. Would this make a difference?

bafanguy
5th Apr 2022, 19:20
I guess to expand on the original question: in the US its acceptable to log PIC as sole manipulator (read PF) whereas in UK/Europe its not. So a guy in Europe could have 4000TT mainly on Jets but only have 100 PIC, whereas someone in the US could have exactly the same experience, but their logbook might show 4000TT/2000PIC due to the differing rules on logging flight time. Would this make a difference?

rudestuff,

I guess it depends what one is trying to accomplish: meet time requirements for an FAA ATP or what is acceptable to the HR people while trying to get an interview. Two separate issues.

aviator35
12th Apr 2022, 11:38
aviator35,

While I can't answer all your specific questions, I'd say that generally you're competitive in today's hiring environment. Apply to every US airline you're even remotely interested in, take the first offer you get and fine tune your career options/moves from that point.

Get your applications professionally reviewed; money well spent. There are a number of interview prep companies. I have no experience with any of them. Check APC or jet careers for recommendations from people who've used them. Again, money well spent.

When it comes to picking an employer, I wouldn't get too concerned about the labor contracts of one airline vs another. In general terms, the labor contracts of the Big Six, i.e., AA, DL, UA, SW, UPS, FedEx, are all within the very acceptable range. At the LCC level, they aren't as good as the Big Six but may very well suit you just fine. The ACMI carriers are a tough way to earn a living but there is money to be made if you can live with the lifestyle. The regionals ? Ummm, well, they're regionals.

If you don't care where you'd be based, that eliminates an issue many people have. But looking at what bases each airline has can be a big lifestyle factor. Don't commute !

Go for it !!! And do it ASAP so you don't miss the wave.

Thank you so much. Definitely, I don't want to miss the opportunity. In August, I'm gonna start ATP/CTP course combined with a B777 type rating. I'll get Class I medical as well. Thereafter, I'll start applying to the companies. I don't have anyone in the USA, so I'll live on the base. The base is not that important for me. Thank you so much for the information.

rudestuff
12th Apr 2022, 11:46
One question, why the 777 type rating? You won't get hired off the street onto a 777 and the airline will provide you with whatever type you need for the first job.

aviator35
12th Apr 2022, 12:16
Hey,

I'm currently flying B777. I have a B777 type rating on my foreign license. Therefore, It is easier and cheaper for me to get FAA ATP with a B777 type rating. Otherwise, I need to fly more simulator sessions. It's more complex to get FAA ATP without a type rating under my conditions.

rudestuff
12th Apr 2022, 13:03
Ah fair enough. I thought airlines were paying for all conversion training these days?

am111
20th Apr 2022, 22:08
aviator35 You seem to be a couple of steps ahead of me. Mind if I send you a PM with a couple of questions to compare notes?

Kenny
22nd Apr 2022, 03:20
One question, why the 777 type rating? You won't get hired off the street onto a 777 and the airline will provide you with whatever type you need for the first job.

Not strictly true…..UAL is currently putting new-hires onto the 777. Now, getting a job there might be problematic but I’ve had a former Qatar CA and an EK CA, both new-hires, in the sim this month.