PDA

View Full Version : Air Nippon

fromwayback
25th Aug 2002, 10:53
Hi all,

I would appreciate any info on flying for Air Nippon domestic for an expat.. Is it a good place to work, Is it easy to mix with the locals etc... thanks

horn
3rd Sep 2002, 17:39
Any expats out there who work for ANK, am considering applying for a position with a possible Osaka base, also how tricky is it to convert to a Japanese ATPL? Any advice appreciated.

Ivan Urge
5th Sep 2002, 13:08
I gather both of you are interested in the Dash 8 jobs. It sounds good but ask youself if it is not tax free, (USD9700/mo) and if you have to pay for accom and air tickets once per month, then is it worth it? Japan is very expensive and you would be liable for Oz or Jap taxes or possibly both. Several years ago many expats working for Harlequin hastily departed to the Americas when the Jap tax department sent them tax bills that would make your eyes water. Despite what many working for Air Japan are doing either the Oz or Jap tax departments will catch up with them. It is sad that the two agencies for Air Japan are paying gross salaries when the standard worldwide is to pay salary after tax. It is yet another sign of erosion in conditions for contract pilots.

Getting the Jap licence is not tricky it just takes time. They will give you more than enough information to pass the checks. It is just up to you to fill in the boxes.

Osaka itself is OK to live in if you can escape every now and then.

Buy yourself some white gloves for the sim evaluation. It might endear yourself to them!!!!.

Piz Buin
6th Sep 2002, 12:13
All true from Urge, specially the tax issue, be very careful...... :eek:

horn
6th Sep 2002, 22:57
Thankyou for the replies.
Most appreciated, have not contracted before but compared to Dash- 8 pay for scheduled carriers in the UK the pay is extremely attractive(Line Skipper USD3100 per month after tax). It is certainly not as expense as living in Japan but hopefully if nothing else my management will realise that we are cheap labour and buck their ideas up before we all leave!

dv8
21st Oct 2002, 09:06
I think it all boils down to ..... Do you like sushi or not :D :D :D

Piz Buin
23rd Oct 2002, 22:52
I heard the conditions have changed already...down to USD8700, 5 weeks in Japan, 12 days off. :eek:

Shagtastic
24th Oct 2002, 16:27
Horn,

Japan is actualy cheaper than rip-off Britain by a long shot.

Food is cheap, beer about the same if not fractionaly cheaper and bloody easy to get a hold of even on a Sunday!! Cars half the UK and electronics just a joke.

I think your USD$9,500 will go a long way even after tax.

Have fun

:) :)