PDA

View Full Version : What's the Problem at BA Now?

old,not bold
2nd Apr 2022, 18:08
Much against my better judgement, I booked a BA flight to an EU city 2 years ago, and foolishly accepted a voucher instead of a refund when Covid prevented it.

So, stuck with the voucher, I had to use it to book a flight to the same city next Monday 4th April.. So far, so good.

Or rather, so bad. Going to Manage my Booking I find a message saying;"Potential service disruption may affect your journey. Please review your options below."
The options are (A) cancel and get a refund. (B) do nothing and just turn up as planned, hoping that it's OK, or (C) rebook on to another flight.

(A) is out of the question; for various reasons we have to go. It's most definitely not a holiday. Other paid-for reservations would be lost, with no refund, ie hotac, transport to the air etc.

(B the information provided is useless; What the hell does "may affect your journey" mean? Will it, or won't it? What's the cause of the "potential" disruption? BA's IT? Massive fleet breakdowns? Strike? Why can't the stupid sods in BA give us the information we need to make a judgement call? What's the risk of not getting a flight if we do just turn up?

(C) Rebook when? Tuesday? Wednesday? When? How do we know? How long will the "potential disruption" last" Who will refund all the money already shelled out irretrievably for transport and hotac? BA? In your dreams.

Does anyone have any insight into why BA is predicting disruption next Monday? Is it severe? unlikely/likely/very likely?

I did call the appropriate number to get the full story and advice from a friendly customer service agent. Ho, ho, ho. Guess what? They're rather busy at the moment, so the final recording on any menu option is "Sorry, we're very busy, Please call again later. bleep, bleep. bleep."

Why does anyone book BA, I wonder. I know, that's what I did. Well, I hope others will benefit from my experience.

Meanwhile, can an insider offer any information as to what the real situation is? Please?

HOVIS
2nd Apr 2022, 18:11
If you have been reading or listening to the news recently you may have noticed stories about disruption and delays due to staff shortages. Particularly, security and handling agents. I would guess that that is the problem.

old,not bold
2nd Apr 2022, 18:26
Yes, many thanks for that, I had read about the staffing problems, as well as massive IT failures. But in order to make a sensible decision about what to do, ie which option to go for, I need to know which, how severe, etc etc. And it might be something else entirely.

The flight is one segment of a complicated trip and if I'm going to unravel it I need to do it now.

And, typically, BA confronts me with a blank wall of indifference to the consequences to their customers' interests of their incompetence.

PAXboy
2nd Apr 2022, 20:57
My guess is that - until the day, the airline do not know either. In my field of work, Covid has laid low too many people and every day there are calls to say that someone cannot come in as they have tested positive or have symptoms.

The NHS has the same problem, a friend of mine who works in a GP surgery said that eight people went down with Covid in one week. No company can plan for that kind of staff outage. My brother and his family had booked for Cirque du Soleil at the Albert Hall. Made a weekend of it with family from Devon and Nottingham. Got to the door - Sorry but too many of the backstage crew and performers tested positive, you'll get your money back. Two grandchildren rather dissapointed.

That is what the UK is currently dealing with. No company, particularly one as large as BA with such a range of staff all needing to be fit and ready to go - can promise much these days. We travelled long haul with them just over a week ago and, apart from a delay whilst waiting for cleaners to complete their work on the A380, all went fine.

We were one of the last out on a Friday night, so I was not surprised at the delay. Flight and Cabin crew all fine as usual.

Hartington
3rd Apr 2022, 08:20
It's not just the UK that's struggling. US carriers are having a bad time as well.

Son went to Boston with BA last weekend for a convention. He came back on the daylight with a connection to home in Newcastle. Plane was on time. No baggage and connection cancelled. He picked himself up, filled in the lost baggage report online while on Heathrow Express and caught The 2000 from Kings X. Bag turned up 48 hours later. Not ideal but he's done enough travelling (since he was a child) to know that you there are times when a bit of personal initiative works best.

Colleagues of same son went on United via San Francisco to Seattle. Plane late from London, missed connection, one bag missing, next flight only had one seat (for two people) next available seat 24 hours later. They decided who should take the one seat, the other went standby (and got on).

It's going to be like this for a while yet.

BA do seem to be making a bit of a meal of the problems though.

Uplinker
3rd Apr 2022, 09:17
The Easter holidays?

That and Covid probably mean that schedules are very difficult to guarantee.

One would hope that a company such as BA would have very robust processes, very good staff training and back-up in place to maintain as near normal service as possible. Isn't that why we pay a lot more for BA tickets than the LOCOs?

Could the OP get the refund and do their trip via trains instead? Eurostar was running normally a few weeks ago when I had to work in Paris. You have to provide a Covid vaccination certificate and a passenger locator form, but it is fairly straightforward.

old,not bold
3rd Apr 2022, 09:26
I can sympathise with BA, up to a point, over the external influences they cannot control, eg Covid keeping staff at home.

My sympathy reduces mightily about the things that result from bad/incompetent management, eg IT meltdowns.

But any trace of sympathy disappears when they decide to adopt a policy of issuing a vague, unspecified, useless "warning" of "potential disruption", and then responding to phone enquiries about what this might mean for a specific flight with "We're too busy to talk to you, please call later".

Presumably the warning has the purpose of enabling BA to say "Well, we did warn you", if anyone is denied boarding and complains.

I was recruited into BOAC in 1969. That, and the BA that it eventually became, was a company people were proud to join and work for. Until it became the foreign-owned cash cow, strike-ridden, poorly equipped, organisation it now is, with it's staff mostly ashamed to work for it, and a incompetent management led by foreigners who doesn't understand IT, let alone air transport, and communicating with their customers.

PS..... Uplinker, Yes we could get the train, probably; getting a train from Warsaw to the West at the moment isn't easy. But only with huge disruption to other essential parts of the trip. As for the refund, get this, quoted from the "warning" of "potential disruption";

"f you wish to cancel your booking a refund will only apply if your fare rules allow it."

Only BA would think of that; it's indicates 100% tone-deafness, and a quite outrageous attitude to the customers they treat so badly, and the law.

nomilk
3rd Apr 2022, 09:48
Until it became the foreign-owned cash cow, .... and a incompetent management led by foreigners who doesn't understand IT, let alone air transport, and communicating with their customers.

You mean all these foreigners that manage successful airlines in the rest of the world? Or are foreign airlines all managed by wonderful British expats that make these foreign airlines successful?

You are old, but your post makes you sound even older, really ....

old,not bold
3rd Apr 2022, 09:58
No, I mean people with no sense of pride in BA as the British national carrier, a title it still carries, with little justification. To them, it's just a financial exercise; sweat the assets until they've nothing left to give, then reverse out.

BTW, I don't mind sounding old, it's what I am. Advancing age both allows and qualifies me to tell it like it is. So there.

Those foreigners might manage successful airlines elsewhere, pity they can't do it in the UK, isn't it?

nomilk
3rd Apr 2022, 10:19
Those foreigners might manage successful airlines elsewhere, pity they can't do it in the UK, isn't it?Ever thought that it might have something to do with the UK? An airline whose pilots voted for Brexit in large numbers, practically sticking their fingers to their European colleagues in the cabin; flying out of a European hub that does not accept ID cards from its closest neighbours who are often not used to needing a passport, claiming that ID cards are not safe (even though they have the same standards as passports nowadays) ... the list goes on.
The culture of short-term thinking is very British, I know of many European managers who got a culture shock moving to Britain and having to deal with very old IT, even the Excel version was so old that Microsoft would not support it. (To sign up for settled status they had to install Microsoft Explorer, discontinued for years :D )

sandringham1
3rd Apr 2022, 10:30
I too was BOAC then BA and witnessed the introduction of new IT. First thing that would happen would be that the accounting aspect of it was paramount and got a disproportionate chunk if the funding, leaving the front line users with a functionally difficult and illogical mess. And the problems showed up during the pre launch trials but the people involved in those trials were either the geeks who loved the challenge or the yes men who liked the kings new clothes.

old,not bold
3rd Apr 2022, 10:51
Ah yes, I remember it well; by 1973 I was in a BOAC Associated Company, which set up its computer reservation system piggy-backed onto the BA system.

A workstation appeared on my desk. I soon discovered that with my Supervisor log in I had not only the power to look at the reservation status of every sector of any service in the next 3 months, but that I could also type out a message to a friend, enter a 4-digit screen address, and send it to his screen where within milliseconds it would wipe what he was doing and show the message. This annoyed the hell out of recipients, but it pre-dated email by about 20 years and was quicker than Telex.

And yes, it was a "functionally difficult and illogical mess", so not a lot has changed.

Dear God, I'm drifting my own thread. Sorry, it's an age thing.

radeng
3rd Apr 2022, 10:58
How many staff have been "let go" during the pandemic with no thought of the consequences when things start to get back to normal? Some changes at the top few levels of IAG might be a good way 'Pour encourager les autres'.

DaveReidUK
3rd Apr 2022, 11:22
An expression involving chickens coming home to roost springs to mind ...

old,not bold
3rd Apr 2022, 11:29
Yes, I've just had that confirmed by a friend currently in the thick of it (but on leave this week) who estimated that their staff shortages are 80% due to bad management and sacking far too many trained and experienced people in the last few months, and 20% due to the present Covid wave. His views about IAG resolutely driving the airline downhill are unprintable in a family forum like this one.

beamer
3rd Apr 2022, 14:59
I am reliably informed that Britains largest holiday airline is in a right old state as the summer season approaches. Not enough pilots, management trying to abandon the scheduling agreement plus the usual problems of inadequately staffed handling agents and security personnel at the airports.

bar none
3rd Apr 2022, 17:51
Further to all of the above potential travellers will go apoplectic when they see the short haul fares being charged at the moment. e.g. Man Lhr £405 single economy class.

bar none
3rd Apr 2022, 18:05
Sorry, above info is now out of date. The fare is now £429.

davidjohnson6
3rd Apr 2022, 18:07
Sorry, above info is now out of date. The fare is now £429.
It's called "pricing out" and is common in many industries when a supplier just doesn't want somebody's business. Consider the case of the car insurance company giving a 17 year old a quote of £10k to insure an old banger

bar none
3rd Apr 2022, 18:16
Price example.

London Kracow 5 April.

Ryanair £41 one way

British Airways £357 one way.

And the Ryanair flight is more likely to operate.

What has British Airways become?

davidjohnson6
3rd Apr 2022, 18:32
British Airways is getting a name for IT failures and generally being unreliable. They need to fix their reliability fast. That may mean allowing load factor to decline significantly for a couple of weeks so there is plenty of slack in the system which would mean fewer customers complaining and greater ability to recover from any further IT failures in the next 2 weeks. This will buy time for a CIO to throw large quantities of money at fixing the most critical IT vulnerabilities.

Sometimes a business has to turn customers away if they don't think they have the ability to deliver a good quality service

Leaving people stranded before they go see families over Easter because of another IT failure will not be forgiven. High fares for 2 weeks for those who have not already booked will be forgiven.

Flyhighfirst
3rd Apr 2022, 18:42
Much against my better judgement, I booked a BA flight to an EU city 2 years ago, and foolishly accepted a voucher instead of a refund when Covid prevented it.

So, stuck with the voucher, I had to use it to book a flight to the same city next Monday 4th April.. So far, so good.

Or rather, so bad. Going to Manage my Booking I find a message saying;"Potential service disruption may affect your journey. Please review your options below."
The options are (A) cancel and get a refund. (B) do nothing and just turn up as planned, hoping that it's OK, or (C) rebook on to another flight.

(A) is out of the question; for various reasons we have to go. It's most definitely not a holiday. Other paid-for reservations would be lost, with no refund, ie hotac, transport to the air etc.

(B the information provided is useless; What the hell does "may affect your journey" mean? Will it, or won't it? What's the cause of the "potential" disruption? BA's IT? Massive fleet breakdowns? Strike? Why can't the stupid sods in BA give us the information we need to make a judgement call? What's the risk of not getting a flight if we do just turn up?

(C) Rebook when? Tuesday? Wednesday? When? How do we know? How long will the "potential disruption" last" Who will refund all the money already shelled out irretrievably for transport and hotac? BA? In your dreams.

Does anyone have any insight into why BA is predicting disruption next Monday? Is it severe? unlikely/likely/very likely?

I did call the appropriate number to get the full story and advice from a friendly customer service agent. Ho, ho, ho. Guess what? They're rather busy at the moment, so the final recording on any menu option is "Sorry, we're very busy, Please call again later. bleep, bleep. bleep."

Why does anyone book BA, I wonder. I know, that's what I did. Well, I hope others will benefit from my experience.

Meanwhile, can an insider offer any information as to what the real situation is? Please?

You must not have had a look at the news. Almost all the major airports in the UK are suffering the same. 5-6 just to get through security. At manchester airport on Friday people were jumping the barriers at x-ray to get to their flights. It is absolute chaos right now. No sign of immediate improvement over the next few weeks either.

So I would say a good airline would allow you to cancel for a full refund (for a problem not of their making) or if feasible to rebook for a later date or like they said show up and take your chances.

Also for a sense of balance, on Friday EasyJet cancelled 100 flights due to staff shortages. At the last minute. Would you not prefer an airline to give you some heads up that things aren’t running smoothly and allow you to decide how urgent your trip is?

Flyhighfirst
3rd Apr 2022, 19:10
No, I mean people with no sense of pride in BA as the British national carrier, a title it still carries, with little justification. To them, it's just a financial exercise; sweat the assets until they've nothing left to give, then reverse out.

BTW, I don't mind sounding old, it's what I am. Advancing age both allows and qualifies me to tell it like it is. So there.

Those foreigners might manage successful airlines elsewhere, pity they can't do it in the UK, isn't it?

But it isn’t “the national carrier”. It is not owned by the government. It has no duty to the country, just passengers and shareholders, and workforce. American Airlines is not the national carrier of the US.

Just like British Gas is not the national utility supplier, or British American Tobacco is not the national Tabasco company of those countries. It is a name.

Your other comment I bolded doesn’t make you sound old. More prepubescent.

Surely you would like to be forewarned of potential issues even if they can’t say for a certainty it will affect you? This is the core issue that winds me up. You are grumpy at them warning you, but if they hadn’t and you turned up and there were significant delays or even a cancellation you would be again grumpy that they didn’t inform you. It’s a no win scenario for them, and most companies right now.

S.o.S.
3rd Apr 2022, 19:47
Please remember to discuss the problem and not insult each other. This is a very important topic and we all have our own view based on personal history, experience and expectations.

No further comments about the person posting, just information and opinion about the topic.

Tocsin
3rd Apr 2022, 20:20
You mean all these foreigners that manage successful airlines in the rest of the world? Or are foreign airlines all managed by wonderful British expats that make these foreign airlines successful?

You are old, but your post makes you sound even older, really ....

And another one goes on the ignore list...

Tocsin
3rd Apr 2022, 20:24
But it isn’t “the national carrier”. It is not owned by the government. It has no duty to the country, just passengers and shareholders, and workforce. American Airlines is not the national carrier of the US.

Just like British Gas is not the national utility supplier, or British American Tobacco is not the national Tabasco company of those countries. It is a name.

Your other comment I bolded doesn’t make you sound old. More prepubescent.

Surely you would like to be forewarned of potential issues even if they can’t say for a certainty it will affect you? This is the core issue that winds me up. You are grumpy at them warning you, but if they hadn’t and you turned up and there were significant delays or even a cancellation you would be again grumpy that they didn’t inform you. It’s a no win scenario for them, and most companies right now.

Close, but saved for now as you made me laugh with "national Tabasco company".

Why do people have to make ad hominems, the world wonders...

Flyhighfirst
3rd Apr 2022, 20:59
Please remember to discuss the problem and not insult each other. This is a very important topic and we all have our own view based on personal history, experience and expectations.

No further comments about the person posting, just information and opinion about the topic.

Maybe because the post is totally wrong? It may be a very important post if it was worded what is wrong with aviation/airports lately. That issue has been in the press repeatedly over the last couple of weeks. Instead the poster chose to erroneously place all the blame on one single carrier, even though the issue is affecting every carrier. Even though admits he has seen the news in regards to the issues. Admits a bias in his initial post.

It’s a definition of trolling for a reaction. Which I suspect I will be on furlough for daring to talk back to a moderator but oh well.

S.o.S.
3rd Apr 2022, 21:55
Flyhighfirst I am the one Mod that you can talk back to!

I think you are missing the point. As part of the rules of PPRuNe that you agreed to, it is to discuss the topic and not what you may think of the person who wrote it. If you think another person is wrong, please set out your counter argument. There are other forums in PPRuNe used for outright disagreement but we try to keep the 'Cabin' reasonable.

I think it is clear that there are a number of reasons why the airline world is in the current state and the interaction of those different factors. It is interesting to read views of the origin of these problems and, critically, our members own experience of the system/s - good or bad.

Please bear in mind that: Whilst this particular Forum is my prime responsibility, some of the other Moderators who also have oversight in here are not as easy going as I am. It is rare for me to 'furlough' someone here as I prefer an open comment - but it does happen.

Lastly, if all who read this thread have learnt something - then that is great. For example, I had not yet read of easyJet cancelling 100 flights. I would like people to stay, give experience and humour.

pax britanica
4th Apr 2022, 12:57
Isnt there even the tiniest mention of our Governments decision to discontinue all Covid precautions resulting ina massive ramp up in infections. Not lethal by and large but with tens of thousands of people suddenly getting Covid symptoms sufficient to keep them of work surely has to bear some of the blame. BA do some stupid things mind you and are not very well run but then the metric for a well run company in UK is increased profits / decrease staff and little to no attention paid to product quality or customer service

esa-aardvark
4th Apr 2022, 12:59
Having worked with (not for) a few IT outsourcing companies I can tell you that
some of their aims are:-
1. Grow the contract.
2. Try to keep information away from counterpart managers so they become deskilled and useless.
3. employ very cheap staff, who may be useless if there is a problem.

As an aside I know of several contracts which my organisation placed with decent small companies,
and the small company was soon taken over by a large one with foreseeable results. All legal.
Obviously no names.

Richard Dangle
4th Apr 2022, 13:18
Advancing age both allows and qualifies me to tell it like it was

Fixed your post. You're welcome :)

arf23
4th Apr 2022, 17:19
having worked in IT for 30 years I can also guarantee the worst possible thing is to throw money at IT and makes lots of fixes. It's an axiom that for every bug you fix you introduce a new one.

Somebody needs to look at all these failures and see what common root causes there may be, in terms of technology, interfaces, built-in redundancy, people skillset, testing and diagnostics etc. I spent a lot of time monitoring databases I was responsible for, and they very rarely crashed as I could spot problems days or hours before they became critical. But BA risks losing it's top tier brand reputation by being cheap with IT, which is a false economy. These days IT is an investment, not an expense. We all have smartphones and expect to interact by and large using the smartphone, with the vendors IT setup,

davidjohnson6
4th Apr 2022, 17:50
arf23 - you may well have a point that throwing money at IT is a bad idea - I can certainly understand your opinion
Doing the root cause analysis and trying to rebuild BA's IT systems into something stable and robust will presumably take years - it's going to be a long hard slog, and BA will benefit if the likes of Accenture, EDS and Infosys are kept as far away as possible
But... and there is always a but... what would you do if you were the CEO or CIO of BA, knowing that your IT is a terrible state, it's the start of the 6 months most important to annual revenues, the company has had an awful 24 months of pandemic and that the customers with high commercial loyalty status are getting distinctly nervous about booking with BA ?

It's likely the CIO and immediate team have a lot of knowledge about how the IT infrastructure works - it may well be honourable for them to resign in the long term, but equally honourable for them to stick around for a few months to help fix the mess first
No, sticking lots of plasters on gaping wounds is not the right thing to do long term, but what *should* the CIO of BA do right now to keep the company operational and credible over the spring and summer ?

wiggy
4th Apr 2022, 19:12
The IT at BA may well be a mess and is certainly worthy of debate but from what I'm hearing this week's issue is very much Covid bug related, not IT bug related..

Some sectors/trips are apparently being cancelled at pretty much the last possible moment when the folks who look after the crew side of things realise they don't have enough fit bodies.

Hartington
4th Apr 2022, 19:28
Air travel disruption across the USA (https://www.travelmole.com/news/air-travel-disruption-across-us/?region=uk)
Easyjet cancellations (https://www.travelmole.com/news/travel-chaos-as-easyjet-cancels-hundreds-of-flights/)

Saintsman
4th Apr 2022, 19:42
As we know, software developers are clever people. Perhaps too clever for their own good really.

They often make things far more complicated that they need to, which is why we find bugs in the system. There are a couple of reasons for making it complicated. They enjoy the challenge and the longer it takes to get it working, the more money they earn.

Whilst it’s simplistic to say simple, it’s often what an IT system needs to be. Far too many are not used to their full potential, because they don’t need to be used that way. They contain solutions to problems that no one identified previously.

However, to put the blame on the software people is unfair. They are responding to what was asked of them, when often the client doesn’t really know what they want. They just know that they need something better than what they already have and they do that by asking the specialists to give it to them. When given a blank piece of paper, everything, included the kitchen sink, is going to be be up for option. Lots of nice to haves and much less essentials. It’s no wonder things go wrong and take ages.

Its not just aviation either, with the MOD and Government departments amongst the worse organisations overspending and late.

Chuck covid into the mix and it’s not surprising that things are bad at BA. They need to take a hard look at themselves if they are going to get out the mess they’re in.

James 1077
4th Apr 2022, 21:37
Maybe because the post is totally wrong? It may be a very important post if it was worded what is wrong with aviation/airports lately. That issue has been in the press repeatedly over the last couple of weeks. Instead the poster chose to erroneously place all the blame on one single carrier, even though the issue is affecting every carrier. Even though admits he has seen the news in regards to the issues. Admits a bias in his initial post.

It’s a definition of trolling for a reaction. Which I suspect I will be on furlough for daring to talk back to a moderator but oh well.

My reading of the email wording in the post would give me a similar reaction to the poster: telling me of a "potential service disruption" is absolutely no use to anyone. I really do not understand why businesses try and hide behind platitudes and generalisations. If something is going wrong then that's fine, it happens, no one can expect 100% reliability 100% of the time without paying for triple redundancy backup, which, as SLF I know I don't. But please tell me what has gone wrong so that I can understand it and plan around it. Saying "due to Covid-19 related staff absences a potential service disruption" lets me plan better as I can better understand the risk. Just saying "potential service disruption" doesn't let me plan, is it Covid? Is it IT? Is it strike action? Is it bad weather? Is it due to the potential grounding of 90% of the fleet? Each of these has different risk profiles. Without knowing which it is I'm in the dark as to whether to take the risk and turn up, take the refund, rebook with a different airline / different time etc.

PAXboy
4th Apr 2022, 21:57
This is almost thread drift as Covid is the immediate problem but ... A good friend of mine was on a long term contract for BA developing software when it was all outsourced. It is a long and painful story. For myself, I was in Telecommunications and IT for 27 years and saw the start of the outsourcing game / fashion in New York in 1987/88. I did not like it and have never liked it. Call me old fashioned but I quote my father who was in Personnel Management (before it became Human Resources) and then in a specialist agency recruiting 'C' level staff and their close subordinates.

In his retirement when I discribed outsourcing to him he said: "Unless you have control over an employee's salary - you have no control." He also quoted the famous line "You need to be able to reach out and grasp someone warmly by the throat ..." The outsourced employee is not answerable to the client - but to their own manager who has the money.

I agree with those (above) who state that the refurbishing of the software suite at BA is a mammoth task and better to be dealt with by Main Board directors who actually understand IT and not put out to big consultancies. This process will take years but, as far as we know, IAG has not yet started. I DO UNDERSTAND the cost of this and the difficulty of doing so post Covid but - they should have started it five years ago when the weakness of their systems was becoming apparent.

Many senior company people in the UK do not understand that they are an IT Company who happen to: Make Baked Beans / Paint / Cars or operate aircraft for pax and cargo. The IT enables everything. I have seen at first hand, large UK companies fail to understand this.

ATSA1
5th Apr 2022, 07:20
I am booked on a Virgin Atlantic flight to LHR in a couple of weeks..can anyone advise if they have had any scheduling problems? Much googling hasnt turned up any problems, but if its outside agencies causing the problems, surely they will be affected too?

Also, whas the queue like at border Control in the early morning/ plenty of gates open?

Bergerie1
5th Apr 2022, 07:29
PAXboy, I am an ex-BOAC/BA man and agree with you 100%. I watched the start of so many things being outsourced. In some areas it can definitely be a benefit but in the core areas of business like IT it is a false economy and you quickly lose control of standards.

Asturias56
5th Apr 2022, 08:03
A real problem is that you also lose control over flexibility. You outsource- you have a contract for people to do things - but that never covers emergencies or unknowns - if it does it's often at prohibitive rates.

When you need to react fast you get trapped into discussions with lawyers and contract folk trying to sort out who pays what

Uplinker
5th Apr 2022, 10:06
With the Easter holidays, Covid, Brexit, passport control, fuel prices, staff shortages, supply problems, the war in Ukraine etc., one might be able to work out that extra delays are very likely at the moment, but still nice to be given a heads-up.

I think I would rather be warned of potential disruption, even if the actual delays on the day could not be quantified or accurately predicted. I would probably turn up at the airport three hours early instead of 90+ mins early for example.

Regarding outsourcing, I remember Sir John Harvey-Jones in the late 70's or early 80's going around telling companies to buy components in rather than make them in-house. That works up to a point but as has been pointed out, you lose control - if a component is sub standard, you can't walk downstairs onto your factory shop floor and find out what is going on, you have to start a correspondence with the boss of the supply company, who might in turn claim that all is well, or get their legal people to go through the small print of the contract. So things can take weeks or months, rather than days to resolve. The same applies to services such as IT.

Problem is, companies lose sight of the purpose they were formed for. They start off making a high quality component or providing a high quality service, but after a number of years, they start to reduce costs to increase the bosses' pensions and bonuses, and the company changes into making money, rather than making the quality widget or quality service they started out with. Or, they rest on their laurels, without realising that newer companies are providing a much better widget or service at a lower cost.

hunterboy
5th Apr 2022, 11:09
In BA’s case, they always seem to be more focussed on the process rather than the end result. A minor example of this is the pilots rostering and scheduling as is. Daily begging texts for pilots to volunteer at short notice could be avoided if they allow pilots to pick trips up electronically. While the eMaestro system is slowly being reinstated, the rostering system is still assigning TASS days on the last days of the month on pilots rosters meaning that any overtime will be reduced by the amount of TASS, making it hardly worth it. Incidentally, the pilot overtime rate in BA is 1.25 x Normal rate . Knock off 50% for tax, and most guys and girls will rather sit at home .
Talking to the engineers and terminal staff, there is a lack of motivation to help the company out, even at double time being offered. Chickens and roosts come to mind.

HOVIS
5th Apr 2022, 11:45
Closing the pension scheme upset and demotivated many. An enormous financial loss for a good 50% of BA staff from all departments.

Union Jack
5th Apr 2022, 12:03
I'm currently awaiting a response to a message sent to the Chairman's Office two weeks ago, after it took two weeks for the Executive Club to decide that my concerns were not theirs....

Jack

paxnerd
5th Apr 2022, 14:33
I started to lose faith in BA's system five years ago when they failed to book/pay for a JAL connection in a return ticket bought long in advance. Then took 18 months to respond to the complaint and refund the extra charge. The recent logistical crises are massively exacerbated by IT incapacity and I'm simply no longer booking BA long haul, for the sake of:

1. being able to check in and

2. finding a plane and a crew there when I do.

Saintsman
5th Apr 2022, 16:18
Just had an e-mail from BA encouraging me to take an April break. They obviously need more bookings...

SLF3
5th Apr 2022, 17:50
The last four return short haul flights I have taken with BA have seen three sectors cancelled prior to departure, and three delays of 1 - 3 hours.

This is in addition to the inability to check in on line, the queues to check in at Heathrow, and the queues at immigration in Europe as the EU get even for Brexit, which cumulatively add over two hours to any short haul journey.

And sky high prices.

Which is why I am staying at home this Easter.

PAXboy
5th Apr 2022, 22:59
I am getting emails direct from BA several times a week telling me of all the offers. The kids in marketing still justifying their existence or perhaps they have been told to counteract all the bad publicity with low prices.

HOVIS
5th Apr 2022, 23:07
and the queues at immigration in Europe as the EU get even for Brexit, which cumulatively add over two hours to any short haul journey.

It's called 'taking back control' 🙄

Blackfriar
6th Apr 2022, 06:50
With the Easter holidays, Covid, Brexit, passport control, fuel prices, staff shortages, supply problems, the war in Ukraine etc., one might be able to work out that extra delays are very likely at the moment, but still nice to be given a heads-up.

I think I would rather be warned of potential disruption, even if the actual delays on the day could not be quantified or accurately predicted. I would probably turn up at the airport three hours early instead of 90+ mins early for example.

Regarding outsourcing, I remember Sir John Harvey-Jones in the late 70's or early 80's going around telling companies to buy components in rather than make them in-house. That works up to a point but as has been pointed out, you lose control - if a component is sub standard, you can't walk downstairs onto your factory shop floor and find out what is going on, you have to start a correspondence with the boss of the supply company, who might in turn claim that all is well, or get their legal people to go through the small print of the contract. So things can take weeks or months, rather than days to resolve. The same applies to services such as IT.

Problem is, companies lose sight of the purpose they were formed for. They start off making a high quality component or providing a high quality service, but after a number of years, they start to reduce costs to increase the bosses' pensions and bonuses, and the company changes into making money, rather than making the quality widget or quality service they started out with. Or, they rest on their laurels, without realising that newer companies are providing a much better widget or service at a lower cost.

You should in-source what is essential to your business and outsource only where it is uneconomic to do so or it’s an ancillary service. An airline is now a slick IT system that flies planes, so the first thing to have control over is that. Carrying passengers is a people business so you should employ, motivate, direct and manage your own staff. However if you screw either or both up, that’s your own fault. BA has been trashed by its own management. Sure, it has faced a massive change in the airline model to loco, but they have failed to address this. Many wrong turns, including setting up Go and then selling it. (Ex-BA staff with an MBA sponsored by BA).

Asturias56
6th Apr 2022, 08:16
"nd the queues at immigration in Europe as the EU get even for Brexit,"

It was pointed out throughout the Brexit negotiations that this would happen - the British Govt denied it , as they denied so many things that have come to pass

Doug E Style
6th Apr 2022, 15:28
the queues at immigration in Europe as the EU get even for Brexit

At all of the major European airports with which I’m familiar, there have been two queues for immigration purposes for many years; EU and non-EU. Anyone who thought that UK passport holders would continue to be able to use the EU queue after Brexit is, quite frankly, a moron.

DC10RealMan
6th Apr 2022, 15:41
I don't think that it is a problem with just BA but it appears to be a post-Brexit, post-privatisation thing in the UK. I was recently quoted over £800 for two returns on the train from my home in Cheshire to London Euston. I decided to fly myself to Elstree for half the price and in half the time.

Alsacienne
6th Apr 2022, 17:45
Anyone who thought that UK passport holders would continue to be able to use the EU queue after Brexit is, quite frankly, a moron.

Doesn't stop them from trying it on .... and getting sent to the back of the non-EU queue as a result!

old,not bold
6th Apr 2022, 19:29
As a postscript to my first post in this thread, T5 on Monday last was crowded but operating well. One or two cancellations on the board, but no sign of the disruption BA warned might occur. I could observe this for 5 hours having got there early! There were plenty of security staff, don't know about handling.

My original thoughts of the uselessness of a warning on the website of "potential disruption" still stand. If the warning has any purpose other than later claiming they warned people so cannot be held responsible if passengers turned up to be told of disruption, it should provide facts and information to allow readers to make an informed assessment of the risk.

On the flight itself, I'm not sure of a bottle of water and small bag of crisps really substitutes for catering. Why bother?

But no worse than a loco. I did have a look at fare prices 4 hours before departure and they were breathtakingly high, eg GBP600 for basic economy, 1-way, for a 2-hour flight.

ZFT
7th Apr 2022, 01:46
Those UK pax complaining about queues are only now experiencing what non EU pax have had to put up with at Heathrow for years

Bengerman
11th Apr 2022, 10:30
Ever thought that it might have something to do with the UK? An airline whose pilots voted for Brexit in large numbers,)

That's interesting, what evidence do you have for this? Asking for a friend.

redsnail
11th Apr 2022, 18:46
I flew BA to Lisbon on the first weekend of the UK school holidays in April. (Not my choice, it was for work). The airport was very busy but seemed to be moving ok. (I am fortunate to be able to use the First Class check in and screening at T5 - so I have no idea how security was coping).
I loved the upgrade but I wished my bag could have joined me. It took BA 2 days to get it to me.

I suspect the ramp services are really feeling the pinch as who wants to work in all weathers for not brilliant money? BA and other UK airlines are really struggling to (re)hire ground staff after the pandemic.