PDA

View Full Version : First higher charges, now...

VictorBravo
25th Aug 2002, 10:18
I went out to YSBK this afternoon to find that a ruddy great big fence has gone up along the road at the end of the runway! It's about two feet next to the road so you can't park and watch aircraft any more. Although I can see that there are good safety/security reasons for doing so, it's never been necessary before so why now?

I'm majorly p!ssed off - I used to study before lessons there. It used to be a great place to take the nieces & nephews to watch aircraft and explain what goes on, and many other families used to do likewise. The odd little spaces they've left aren't the same. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wing Root
25th Aug 2002, 10:28
Likewise at parafield. The nice spot next to "Aero Centre" is essentially useless now.

Good article about this sort of thing here...

Letter to an Airport Kid (http://www.avweb.com/articles/lounge/tpl0035.html)

Rich-Fine-Green
25th Aug 2002, 21:55
sad to see.

I was once an ankle biter that spent hours peering through an airport fence.

Now, if I see someone on the other side of the fence, looking at my aircraft (if I have a spare minute) I will ask if they want a closer look.

It's good community P.R.

Airshows, open days, viewing areas and joy flights all win friends for aviation.

The 'civvy' looking through the airport fence is one less vote against closing your local airport.

Dogimed
26th Aug 2002, 00:36
The reason for the fence is apparently the locals are starting to shine high beams and portable spot lights at a/c landing or taking off. Plus its a good hangout for druggies at night. Thats why there is a spot off the centrelines of the runways. So no torch beams or headlights can blind pilots.

Sad, but ya can't blame them for doing it.

Dog
:(

VictorBravo
26th Aug 2002, 08:35
I thought that might be the case Dog (that and stopping the odd wally from flying a kite there - which I've seen at least once!).

But the druggies and yokels weren't the only people who used that space - the locals used to be able to walk their dogs and let the kids play there while watching the aircraft fly overhead. I've seen many anklebiters running around there pretending they are aircraft (and I'm sure more than one or two over the years have become pilots). And it was great to watch other people stuff up landings in a cross wind - it always made me feel that I wasn't so bad a pilot after all. :D

Why not use a gate to shut off the area at night and leave the local community free to use the space during the day? You can't expect the local community to support the airport if they are shut off from it. And the miniscule spaces that are left are NOT the same. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ozgrade3
26th Aug 2002, 10:45
Yet another ham fisted idea from the clowns at BAL. I rang them the other day to register my discust, was told it was done to keep the druggies away. Why not some low wattage lights to illuminate the area, that would keep them away, or lock off that part of tower road, but oh no, it would inconveniance the bus company. Though tittys about the bus dept, the place is an airport, not run for busses.

For christ sake, you cant even walk accross the ramp to buy your lunch cause all the damn gates are locked.

Where was the consultation with the stake holders, the aviation personel who make their living out of the airport and the weekend warriors that keep us all in business.

Be warned, if BAL has its way, you will be walking down the "Runway Centre" Boulevarde and shopping centre and dinning at the "Runnup Bay Caffee".

Digimed....hhhm if the lights that people are shinning at the approaching and departing aircraft, the pilot is not looking in the right place :D

Wheeler
26th Aug 2002, 23:10
Does seem a bit sad. Have spent a few hour there myself in the past. Cannot be good PR at all - and BK does need that. As for the Bus depot, what an eyesore! - but I bet they pay good rent and let's face it, that is all that matters there these days.

Dogimed
26th Aug 2002, 23:48
Ozgrade3, et al

Yup, I think that there could have been better options, the road used to be closed at 8:oopm from memory.

And I agree that it is crap that the aviation community should suffer because some monkeys need a quiet place to get their fix, however what would be the alternative, if the buses aren't going to go around HLD (Henry Lawson) to get back to base, and they are obviously paying higher landing fees than us mere aviators, what else would BAL do?

If I'm on final and some bright spark (no pun intended) shoots a beam at my aircraft I'm gunna look, maybe for only a second, but I'm still gunna look!.

Perhaps someone should call the bus company and ask why they dont go around on HLD and tell BAL it would have been cheaper just putting up a new gate after Rabual(?) road?

Ahh... what can you do.

Dog

puff
27th Aug 2002, 06:48
There is a viewing area at Brisbane airport that was getting badly vandalised, heaps of circle work being performed and druggies etc using it after hours, the BAC has installed gates now and close it off at night time....far greater idea that completely closing it off.

cunningham
27th Aug 2002, 07:13
It's a shame to hear the Brisbane viewing area is now locked up at night. I would have much rather seen cc.tv cameras installed that way the authorities could track down the scum who stuff it for everyone.

Once again we see the minority shag it for the majority.