PDA

View Full Version : B1 Exams Help.

Sneexh
31st Mar 2022, 08:30
Hi there, couple questions;

I'm currently on a CAT A apprenticeship, halfway through my 3 years and completed all my CAT A exams. (bar from 1 resit).

once i've completed this I was debating going straight in for my B1 exams (m1 and m2 - as only a year and a half out of school so pretty easy) through CAA as I don't want to do another apprenticeship for my B1. (still don't know why they didn't do a b1 apprenticeship instead of this CAT A)

2 questions:
How much of a step up is B1 considering for my CAT A id say at most I did 4 hours of self revision through all modules, however they weren't self study courses.
Is it a good idea me going straight for my B1 or should I just wait a few years before starting the modules :bored:

Thanks in advance.

morton
1st Apr 2022, 13:29
The guys on Airmech are the best ones to ask - a wealth of experience.
CAA Licensing (http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php/21-CAA-Licensing)

Tom Sawyer
4th Apr 2022, 15:42
Yes, it is a big step up. You go from being capable of "limited and simple" job scope, to being the man on the spot when decisions need to be made, and your years of experience pay off under these circumstances. Get the A Licence under your belt and working it. Get used to having a limited amount of responsibility. Get involved in defects and operations. Learn the trade with a bit of depth, and then go for the rest of the B1 modules. The stuff you will learn in the meantime will help with the exams and be useful in the future. Bear in mind the minimum age requirements in the regs as well - 18yrs old to hold a licence, but 21 to certify under it. It is experience that will make you a good LAE, not exams.

Oh......and Airmech is pretty dead these days unless you want football results!