PDA

View Full Version : Dublin

Economics101
30th Mar 2022, 13:21
There is a crisis in DUB arising from huge delays to departing passengers, largely because of shortage of security staff, with queues of over 2 hours reported at times.
Some of this has been blamed on new EU-mandated security vetting for airside staff. I would like to know if other major airports in the EU have experienced similar problems, or if this a case of "blame the EU" if you have cocked-up yourself.
The increase in air travel seems to have taken the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) by surprise. In 2020 they offered voluntary redundancy to 1,000 staff, and now they are cought short. Did the DAA expect Covid travel restrictions to be permanent?
There appears to be gross incompetence either at the DAA, the Department of Transport, the Garda vetting unit, or maybe at all 3.

SealinkBF
30th Mar 2022, 14:58
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c03wzp8dg0jo

Economics101
30th Mar 2022, 16:48
Thanks for the link, SealinkBF. But if I may quote the DAA statement: Like other airports all over Europe, we are currently working extremely hard to build back our operation after the collapse of international travel, including the recruitment, training and mandatory background checks required for all staff working at an international airport,
This is what provoked my initial question. are other European airports having similar problems, or are the DAA being a bit economical with the truth? Irish journalists are too lazy to question what the DAA is saying.

ia350
30th Mar 2022, 16:50
Went to T2 at 4.45 last Thursday morning and got through security within 2 minutes, just depends what time you go through.

ia350
30th Mar 2022, 20:30
Anyone know if Air Canada have started their direct route to Vancouver yet ?

31st Mar 2022, 10:37
Not even other DAA airports. About 5 minutes through Cork on a Friday afternoon with 5 flights (incl. a Tenerife where passengers always seem to be oblivious to how to go through security) going out in the subsequent 90 minutes.

Blakedean
31st Mar 2022, 20:58
Security queues nowhere near as bad the past few days as they were previously. So many passengers airside hours before their flight all seem to head to to the DAA lounge which is already struggling staff wise.

blind pew
1st Apr 2022, 13:22
Has asked the government to bring in 100 troops…
DAA excuse is that it takes a long time to get security clearances…nowt to do with pay

blind pew
5th May 2022, 08:09
Arrived before 5am for 0740 departure..over 40 min to get through security with only one of three security machines manned (femaled?)..screen for others showed 40 mins delay..

GROUNDHOG
5th May 2022, 18:35
Don't think it has started yet we are booked on it in June.

positive
5th May 2022, 20:49
Dublin's April figures 2.4 million passengers 85% of April 2019, recovery well underway.

GROUNDHOG
6th May 2022, 19:40
Looks like it starts June 03rd.

ia350
6th May 2022, 21:56

Cheers for that had to connect through Toronto, first time on the 787-9, not quite full from Dublin but not many seats left.

CabinCrewe
29th May 2022, 14:44
Dublin essentially telling everyone in the queues outside the terminal they’ll probably miss their flight… and its only May.
Though suggestion Airport itself would help refund flights / expenses as a result of their queues….
https://twitter.com/dublinairport/status/1530854341275443200?s=21&t=YWFGEEkpWRbWwFBkgy_cHg

Dannyboy39
30th May 2022, 04:58
Think you better start queuing now.

GROUNDHOG
30th May 2022, 19:25
We are booked in AC Signature Class ( business) which SHOULD give us priority check in and security clearance. Is this actually working in Dublin please? Staying overnight at airport hotel anyway so check in early not too much of a problem. Any advice welcome, thanks.

airbourne
30th May 2022, 20:12
No less than SEVENTEEN staff for security check called sick on Sunday according to a news report.

Probably nothing to do with the fact that Kildare played Dublin in the GAA, Leinster were in the rugby and then the champions league final as well.

I am sure all those staff were genuinely sick.........

Una Due Tfc
30th May 2022, 21:23
Allegedly they are 50% below minimum required staffing in security due COVID layoffs. 17 is a drop in the bucket. Distractions and excuses. Staff are only guaranteed 20 hours per week at barely above minimum wage. I wouldn't sign up for that.

SealinkBF
30th May 2022, 21:56
Dublin Airport Authority reveals exactly what it will refund passengers for, after missed flights debacle https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-airport-authority-reveals-exactly-what-it-will-refund-passengers-for-after-missed-flights-debacle-41701784.html

​​​​​​This isntl exclusive to Dublin but clearly there are issues Europe wide...

Copenhagen
1st Jun 2022, 18:39
It turns out that the airport CEO used VIP services to get on his flight to Saudi at the weekend.

A shameful decision. If he wasn’t already leaving, I’d expect the pressure to go would be tremendous at the moment.

Sober Lark
2nd Jun 2022, 15:15
It turns out that the airport CEO used VIP services to get on his flight to Saudi at the weekend.

A shameful decision. If he wasn’t already leaving, I’d expect the pressure to go would be tremendous at the moment.

Must be almost impossible to turn such deplorable mismanagement into something positive on your CV.

Repos
3rd Jun 2022, 09:12
"Passengers have described queues at Dublin Airport (https://www.independent.ie/topics/dublin-airport-41106988/) as ‘quick and painless’ as the DAA security is taking less than 10 minutes, with more than 300 flights are scheduled as the bank holiday exodus begins."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dublin-airport-queues-described-as-quick-and-painless-heres-your-hour-by-hour-guide-to-how-busy-departures-will-be-across-the-day-41714971.html

GROUNDHOG
3rd Jun 2022, 16:48
Really pleased to read that, passing through there very soon!

Kiltrash
4th Jun 2022, 07:52
I have some 6 hours to kill overnight at Dublin airport from the inbound in to the outbound outboth are in T1 any recommendations of a quiet corner without armrests to have a kip??

Dannyboy39
4th Jun 2022, 12:57
I have some 6 hours to kill overnight at Dublin airport from the inbound in to the outbound outboth are in T1 any recommendations of a quiet corner without armrests to have a kip??
I’d say don’t bother and start queuing.

EI-BUD
7th Jun 2022, 19:28
So new Ryanair routes Cork to Newcastle, Dublin to a few planes including Genoa, Castellón and a change from Ciampino to Fiumicino in Rome. Capacity guys at CIA were announced last year so I'm guessing the Rome moves may long term result in most FR Rome activity being there.

soarbum
14th Jun 2022, 15:16
I can't post urls but the story is at www dot rte dot ie /news/regional/2022/0614/1304732-dublin-airport-vehicle-fire/

Ground handling vehicle catches fire at Dublin Airport (rte.ie)

A ground handling vehicle caught fire at Dublin Airport this morning, setting off several smoke alarms in Terminal 2.

The incident happened shortly after 9.20am on the apron at the terminal.

Airport operator daa said that airport fire marshals responded to the fire straight away, and it has since been extinguished.

No passengers were evacuated during the course of the incident.

A spokesman for airport management said they are assessing what impact the incident will have on flight operations.

Seljuk22
14th Jun 2022, 17:14
Emirates seems to plan to re-introduce the 2nd daily flight from 1st September.

ia350
16th Jun 2022, 04:42
2.6 Million through Dublin in May.

SHMROCK
28th Jul 2022, 21:23
Any date for the opening of the north runway at DUB yet?

FRatSTN
29th Jul 2022, 05:00
Any date for the opening of the north runway at DUB yet?
From what I've heard, 24th August is the expected operational date.

Just a spotter
22nd Aug 2022, 10:32
The former Ryanair 737-200 "Eircell logojet", that's been used for training by the Dublin Airport Fire Service since 2003 has been scrapped.

https://twitter.com/DublinNewsLive/status/1559939908340518913

JAS

Just a spotter
22nd Aug 2022, 10:39
From what I've heard, 24th August is the expected operational date.

24th with a single take off. Limited operations on the runway from 25th.

JAS

Captain Planet
24th Aug 2022, 09:09
Dublin Airport will officially open it’s new runway 28R/10L today with the first departure at 1100Z. Live stream begins on YouTube at 1030z.

ardpro
24th Aug 2022, 12:05
24th with a single take off. Limited operations on the runway from 25th.

JAS
Why limited operations tomorrow? Surely all departures will be going off 28R?

Dublin Airport will officially open it’s new runway 28R/10L today with the first departure at 1100Z. Live stream begins on YouTube at 1030z.

Only one departure today as JaS said. In the end it got airborne at 12:10. RYR1964 to Eindhoven.

https://fr24.com/RYR1964/2d307f2c

Liffy 1M
24th Aug 2022, 13:59
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1624/eihaw240822_1fjg_b1eaf2e680193393e7ceca6983807b9635de17be.jp g
The first departure from runway 28R at DUB.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Aug 2022, 19:44
My flight left the next afternoon and DIDN'T take off from the new North runway.....I asked the pilot why when we landed and they explained due to the 40min delay to the flight we missed the 3pm switch by 10mins, and that was that. I really hope that the investment will be worth it in terms of less congestion at peak times and an increase in passenger numbers. Now, if only they'd get that train spur built from Howth Junction.

ardpro
4th Sep 2022, 13:09
My flight left the next afternoon and DIDN'T take off from the new North runway.....I asked the pilot why when we landed and they explained due to the 40min delay to the flight we missed the 3pm switch by 10mins, and that was that. I really hope that the investment will be worth it in terms of less congestion at peak times and an increase in passenger numbers. Now, if only they'd get that train spur built from Howth Junction.

Well I don't know why the pilot said that because every day since the new runway opened the switch has been at 1pm as you can see by watching FR24 around that time.
I've read elsewhere that the plan is to phase in greater use of the new runway (eg by eventually extending usage up to 7pm). I think the issue must be staffing shortages possibly in the tower as well as in the terminal and airside.

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Sep 2022, 19:10
What's the runway useage plan? Landers on 28L/10R? Departure 28R/10L? Or fully mixed usage?

ardpro
5th Sep 2022, 12:19
What's the runway useage plan? Landers on 28L/10R? Departure 28R/10L? Or fully mixed usage?

If 28s are in use then the right side (north runway) is used for departures. If 10s in use then it's the south runway for departures.

But so far the new runway has only been in use from 8am to 1pm and today it looks like they didn't use it at all.

VickersVicount
10th Sep 2022, 15:46
‘Chaos’ at DUB by all accounts after one of the now familiar airline #NoBackUp ‘IT Failures’

Una Due Tfc
23rd Sep 2022, 09:12
Cleveland City and surrounding counties are putting together a financial subsidy for EI. Somewhere in the region of 2.5 million dollars over 3 years. 4 x weekly DUB-CLE to be announced next week according to this article. To be launched in May.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2022/09/aer-lingus-expected-to-launch-nonstop-service-from-cleveland-to-dublin-with-600000-incentive-from-the-city.html

BDL is expected to return next year. Other new routes strongly rumoured are BUF on the LR and DEN on the 330.

Seljuk22
24th Sep 2022, 10:24
Qatar Airways will be 11 weekly from 30th October and HiSky plans to launch OTP from 7th Dec with 3 weekly flights on A320.

Edit:
Qatar Airways will further increase to 12 weekly
Dublin – increased from 11 to 12 weekly flights effective 3 January 2023
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-releases/2022/October/QR-Frequency-Increase-Winter-2022.html?activeTag=Press-releases

Just a spotter
10th Feb 2023, 07:36
From RTE.ie 10th Feb 2023

Man arrested in relation to drone activity at Dublin Airport

A man has been arrested on suspicion of flying a drone over Dublin Airport last month. [...] The airport has been temporarily shut down four times in the last two-and-a-half weeks because of drone activity.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2023/0209/1355779-drone-arrest/

JAS

Seljuk22
4th Mar 2023, 10:10
Qatar Airways will increase DOH to 14 weekly eff 1st June.

MANFAN
11th Mar 2023, 12:59
Recently visited Dublin for the first time in around 4 years and what a big disappointment it was regarding the transport from the airport to Dublin city centre.
Last time I was there (I think around 2018) I came out of T1, hopped onto the 747 Airlink and was in Dublin around 30 mins later.

This time, I walked outside to a horrendous queuing system in the rain (no cover) to board coaches into the city centre. Each coach took an age to arrive so the queues were almost inside the arrivals area of the terminal.
Why hasn't Dublin got better transport links into the city and surrounding areas? Are there any plans in place to actually get a train station located at the airport like most EU capitals have?!

Asturias56
11th Mar 2023, 13:39
"Are there any plans in place to actually get a train station located at the airport like most EU capitals have?"

only took 30 years at Heathrow

blind pew
11th Mar 2023, 13:48
Recently visited Dublin for the first time in around 4 years and what a big disappointment it was regarding the transport from the airport to Dublin city centre.
Last time I was there (I think around 2018) I came out of T1, hopped onto the 747 Airlink and was in Dublin around 30 mins later.

This time, I walked outside to a horrendous queuing system in the rain (no cover) to board coaches into the city centre. Each coach took an age to arrive so the queues were almost inside the arrivals area of the terminal.
Why hasn't Dublin got better transport links into the city and surrounding areas? Are there any plans in place to actually get a train station located at the airport like most EU capitals have?!
Dublin city council are more concerned with taking out the car parking around Merrion square having done such a similar job at St Stephen’s green and installing cycle lanes.
My last drive around the city I saw 4 cyclists ..one jumped the lights and another was cycling the wrong way up the road. Traffic jam on the way towards the airport added an extra 20 mins to the journey.
Maybe an answer would be a direct bus shuttle to Portmarnock Dart station but would need some infrastructure changes.

CabinCrewe
12th Mar 2023, 12:39
is Brest the first (non-UK) ‘International’ flight for Emerald/ EIr ex DUB ?

1sky
12th Mar 2023, 14:05
"Are there any plans in place to actually get a train station located at the airport like most EU capitals have?"

only took 30 years at Heathrow

Heathrow has has the Piccadilly line since 1977.

The current bus arrangement at Dublin is a disaster. The old Airlink + Aircoach arrangement worked fairly well, while the present Dublin Express is often a mess and has insufficient capacity for the passenger numbers. Let’s not even discuss the joke of a long distance coach station.

jensdad
13th Mar 2023, 00:13
Are there any plans in place to actually get a train station located at the airport like most EU capitals have?!
Maybe I dreamt this, but did I not read somewhere that they've already built the shell of a railway station underneath one of the terminals in readiness for when someone actually builds a railway line to it?

Copenhagen
13th Mar 2023, 10:22
Maybe I dreamt this, but did I not read somewhere that they've already built the shell of a railway station underneath one of the terminals in readiness for when someone actually builds a railway line to it?

you are correct. A railway station was built in the Basement of Terminal 1. Terminal 1 was designed in the ‘60s

in the latest plans for a rail/metro link, this space is no longer part of the plan.

Alteagod
13th Mar 2023, 10:42
I believe it is under the multi story carpark opposite terminal 1.

13th Mar 2023, 11:17
I believe so as they never went back on the old Rennes route operated by Aer Lingfus Regional in Stobart days.

I'm surprised they went for Brest over Rennes, concidering Rennes has a bigger hinterland and a long tradition of links to Ireland (it even used to have a 2x weekly to Cork in Stobart days). Brest may be handier for tourists on camping holidays.

Sober Lark
14th Mar 2023, 15:25
Welcome to DUB we're so green you can walk.

MANFAN
1st Apr 2023, 13:23
What are the operating hours of the new runway? When looking on FR24 twice this week during the early morning (around 8am) only the original runway was in use…

Blakedean
1st Apr 2023, 15:34
What are the operating hours of the new runway? When looking on FR24 twice this week during the early morning (around 8am) only the original runway was in use…

0900-1800 but open to correction

positive
1st Apr 2023, 19:41
0900-1800 but open to correction

That's correct they could use it from 7am to 11pm but are only using it at reduced hours for the time being, they the DAA have applied for 6am to 12pm but are currently awaiting a decision from the planning authority

Sober Lark
15th Jun 2023, 08:11
Dublin Airport is delighted to welcome back the direct Hainan Airlines service between Dublin and Beijing.

The service will recommence on June 27 until early October. The return of this service – the first between Ireland and China since 2020 – will fly twice weekly on Tuesdays and Saturdays, direct non-stop between Dublin and Beijing.

bnt
9th Jul 2023, 13:48
Reports this morning of a jet bridge failure at Dublin, ripping a door off an AA B787 in the process:

https://twitter.com/Shauns_Aviation/status/1678010551396442113

VickersVicount
9th Jul 2023, 14:46
Pictures on Twitter. Think doors designed to ‘rip off’ cleanly when required so should be reasonably simple fix but guessing a few data of AOG. Doubt handy 787 door in EI hangers.

Just a spotter
9th Jul 2023, 17:13
Reports this morning of a jet bridge failure at Dublin, ripping a door off an AA B787 in the process:

https://twitter.com/Shauns_Aviation/status/1678010551396442113

Covered with pictures in The Irish Independent

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-airport-incident-daa-confirms-air-bridge-collapse-at-terminal-two/a1208326075.html

JAS

ardpro
21st Jul 2023, 14:26
That's correct they could use it from 7am to 11pm but are only using it at reduced hours for the time being, they the DAA have applied for 6am to 12pm but are currently awaiting a decision from the planning authority

They're finally now using both runways continually. When the new runway opened last year they only used it 0800-1300 and then extended it to 1800 this year but looking at it on FR24 yesterday it was in fully continuous (28R for deps, 28L for arrs) until way past midnight.

What actually was the reason for it taking so long? Staffing issues post-COVID?

MANFAN
21st Jul 2023, 16:43
They're finally now using both runways continually. When the new runway opened last year they only used it 0800-1300 and then extended it to 1800 this year but looking at it on FR24 yesterday it was in fully continuous (28R for deps, 28L for arrs) until way past midnight.

I was in Dublin on 3rd July and noticed this then, thankfully causing less of a bottleneck and therefore less delays!
When I was there on this day it closed around 7/8pm, so certainly don’t think there is a justification to open it that late but maybe there were knock on effects from delays that day.

Skipness One Foxtrot
21st Jul 2023, 18:17
They're finally now using both runways continually. When the new runway opened last year they only used it 0800-1300 (tel:0800-1300) and then extended it to 1800 this year but looking at it on FR24 yesterday it was in fully continuous (28R for deps, 28L for arrs) until way past midnight.

Is 28R landers and 28L departure the norm or will they switch? What's the SOP on Easterlies?

Blakedean
21st Jul 2023, 21:03
0700-2300 new operating hours from the first week of July. Rumours the 51st & Green will be closed for a couple of weeks in a few months time for renovations.

ardpro
23rd Jul 2023, 20:58
Is 28R landers and 28L departure the norm or will they switch? What's the SOP on Easterlies?

You mean 28L landers and 28R departure. Yes that's the norm and there's no switch like LHR (they're coming in over sea and then rural areas so no noise abatement obligations).
On easterlies it's 10R departures and 10L arrivals.

Skipness One Foxtrot
23rd Jul 2023, 21:11
You mean 28L landers and 28R departure. Yes that's the norm and there's no switch like LHR (they're coming in over sea and then rural areas so no noise abatement obligations).
On easterlies it's 10R departures and 10L arrivals.
And THAT's why I am not a pilot! Thanks!

Una Due Tfc
16th Aug 2023, 18:30
https://twitter.com/TravelExpert_IE/status/1691837243365708183?t=ViK53CPSKnXI5S-zB9V9ZQ&s=19

EI to announce new route to DEN & return to MSP tomorrow. MSP was a daily 757 in 2019 and was due to be a 5 x weekly A332 route in 2020 before being pulled altogether due COVID. Delta applied for and were given slots for MSP-DUB this year but ultimately didn't launch it.

NorthernCounties
17th Aug 2023, 16:14
I know it's been said before that IAG wants to prioritise Latin America through Iberia, but it's crazy that Aer Lingus still hasn't flights to Sao Paulo. I know a lot of Latin Americans, and they have to utilise AF/KLM, Lufthansa or TAP to get there. I never hear of anyone using Iberia or BA. Just do it already. With the sizeable Indian population here too, how they haven't looked East is beyond me too.

Una Due Tfc
17th Aug 2023, 16:22
Yields aren’t worth it is the consensus. The Brazilian community in Ireland are extremely price sensitive, often making huge detours via the ME3 to save money. Also those whose destination isn’t GRU are routing via LIS with TAP.

In other news AA confirm DFW-DUB is joining PHL-DUB as year round route, and CLT-DUB season extended. Both DFW & CLT to be operated by B772, whereas ORD & PHL will continue on the B788

BA318
17th Aug 2023, 17:46
https://twitter.com/TravelExpert_IE/status/1691837243365708183?t=ViK53CPSKnXI5S-zB9V9ZQ&s=19

EI to announce new route to DEN & return to MSP tomorrow. MSP was a daily 757 in 2019 and was due to be a 5 x weekly A332 route in 2020 before being pulled altogether due COVID. Delta applied for and were given slots for MSP-DUB this year but ultimately didn't launch it.

Delta have announced 5x weekly seasonal MSP-DUB with 763. https://news.delta.com/delta-launch-dublin-service-minneapolis-saint-paul?fbclid=IwAR3v5xF-FGsHF9gf0tYwfqiAYiAhZyxP6oLzGof9hOkVKY2VGqFxtmCLJTI

Una Due Tfc
17th Aug 2023, 17:51
4 x weekly EI A332 and 5 x weekly DL B763, that's a lot of capacity next summer. DL are seasonal, EI will be reverting to daily year round A321XLR from next Autumn.

Noxegon
17th Aug 2023, 21:35
Amusing that both services were announced on the same day. I'm guessing there was a last minute scramble at DL HQ to match the EI announcement.

Seljuk
20th Aug 2023, 06:22
July figures were on a par with July 2019 with July 30th the busiest ever day (120k passengers).

Economics101
29th Aug 2023, 08:22
The ILS for 10L seems not to be fully commissioned yet. When there is low visibility and the !0s are being used, they revert to single runway operation using just 10R. There are predictable results in terms of delayed departures and arrivals having to hold.
I realise that a lot of work may be needed before CAT III can be used, but are the delays at DUB inordinate? I can see there may be buck-passing between DAA and IAA when questions are asked about this.

CabinCrewe
5th Sep 2023, 07:13
Looks like DUB SEA being culled from daily to 4/wk Was always a bit ambitious.
Surprise to see MCO being reduced too.
First sign of easing in US demand?

Seljuk
24th Jan 2024, 18:04
2023 figures (finally) published: 31,908,471
https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2024/01/24/almost-32-million-through-dublin-airport-s-terminals-in-2023

Una Due Tfc
24th Jan 2024, 20:21
The figures published by the DAA don't include transit passengers. They're being creative to avoid breaching a 32m passenger cap imposed by the local council in 2007 which they are in the process of appealing.