PDA

View Full Version : Ground School Exams

kebabman
21st Jan 2001, 18:37
I am going to be doing my PPL in about 6 months, and have been informed that doing the ground exams before I do will free up my time, and make the flying more enjoyable. How hard are these exams? Are they exams that require months of revision? Should I try to do them now, or when I get to America to do my PPL? Cheers, Paul.

AtlanticFlyer
25th Jan 2001, 16:22
Paul, try American Aviation Services at Gloucester Airport 01452 857757 www.faa.co.uk (http://www.faa.co.uk) they have the FAA computer testing centre in the UK and sell all the books for the exams and do ground schools aswell. Best of luck

Bear Cub
26th Jan 2001, 09:03
Kebab...I apologise, on behalf of some members of pprune, for the posting that assumes because you are going to America in six months you are going to do an FAA Private License (yes, with an 'S'...if it's American).

If this is true, then perhaps the message will be useful to you. Gloucester is not too far from you and you could do all the groundschool there - and take the written exam...which is not written, by the way, it's on a computer.

You could also consider looking through the numerous aviation monthly publications and buy yourself a groundschool course to do at home over the next six months. Dozens of video tape and CDRoms are available for the FAA project.

If you wish to gain a CAA/JAA qualification the rules are slightly different.

The examinations - plural...seven of them (I think) - are much harder than the FAA.

That last line may cause a storm - but it's true....they are harder.

The options now are "PPSC" in Bournemouth - who do a PPL training programme. I believe it is a four week residential course (don't quote me on that) and costs £600. The material is presented at professional level - which can be a great help if you are going to attempt to move on to a commercial flying career.

Another option is to go to your local airport (where you will probably go to hire aircraft after qualifying for a licence [now with a letter 'c' [English one]]).

Ask the school to do some groundschool with you and do each and every written paper - and the R/T practical - before you book your ticket to the USA.

Finally, another thing before you book your ticket to the USA is to check with the CAA (NOT THE SCHOOL!!!) that you will be eligable to apply for the licence on your return....you say six months - that would be no earlier than July...all the rules are scheduled to change at the end of June...ENSURE the school you have earmarked for your training has been approved BEFORE you book your flight...and DO NOT SEND THEM A DEPOSIT!!

Hope it helps...e-mail me if you want any further advice or questions answered.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!