PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL Book Recommendations

Sethorion
24th Mar 2022, 22:27
I'd like to reread the PPL syllabus but my books are Oxford Aviation Academy gen 2s (iirc) which were written and published prior to the whole Brexit debacle.

Is there a collectively accepted publisher of PPL theory books that is above and beyond the rest at this moment in time?

Discorde
25th Mar 2022, 17:54
'Handling Light Aircraft' by Julien Evans was written for ab initio student pilots. It covers basic aircraft technical details, aircraft handling and theory of flight. The book includes newer items such as EFIS and FADEC engine controls.

Heston
25th Mar 2022, 20:09
I'd like to reread the PPL syllabus but my books are Oxford Aviation Academy gen 2s (iirc) which were written and published prior to the whole Brexit debacle.

Is there a collectively accepted publisher of PPL theory books that is above and beyond the rest at this moment in time?
Forgive my stupidity here. What has the whole Brexit debacle got to do with the stuff you need to know to fly an aeroplane (apart from a few licencing oddities?).
Meteorology? That's no different
Navigation? Just the samePhysics of flight? Nope, sameHuman factors? No changeAircraft technical? The aeroplane doesn't know about Brexit
Seriously - reread what you've already got. It's well worth it, so good for you.

TheOddOne
26th Mar 2022, 05:25
If you want the current UK CAA PPL syllabus, then it's available here, for free:

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201298%20AltMOC_PPL(A).pdf

In order to study the materials required to complete the flight training and pass the 9 theory exams look at Pooley's and Airplan Flight Equipment (AFE). They both publish books covering the latest syllabus and material required. I wouldn't say either is 'above and beyond' the other, but each instructor has their preferences. Training Organisations have to nominate a detailed syllabus, most choose one of the commercially available options as the alternative of writing your own is very expensive.
If you are contemplating doing a course for either the NPPL, LAPL or PPL (for which all the exams are identical) go to your selected training organisation or flying club and ask what books they use. They will generally have them in stock, or you can buy them on-line.
PLEASE DON'T rely on old books off the internet or ones you've had for some years as whilst the basics haven't changed, (as above) the emphasis has on what might be considered the right answers. The cost of the books is VERY small, compared with the cost of flying.

TOO

Beaker_
26th Mar 2022, 08:43
I used the Pooleys books for my PPL study which were spot on. Bristol Ground School have recently made a move into the PPL study sector which could be well worth a look.

Heston
26th Mar 2022, 14:15
Have I misunderstood? Because the OP said reread, I assumed the poster was a qualified flyer looking to revise their knowledge. Hence my reply.
If that's not it, and they are asking what to use for abinitio training, then I agree the cost of an up to date set is tiny relative to the cost of training.
AFE is my favourite - they seem easiest to use.

(Still don't get the Brexit reference though)

Sethorion
26th Mar 2022, 23:05
My particular situation is that I read all of my PPL theory and completed the exams then got held up by some medical faff for so long that my exams lapsed. My medical is near enough sorted now but I don't want to reread books that are out of date.

And the Brexit thing was kind of a joke really. I just remember the Air Law book mentioning the UK's inclusion in the EU around a million times and thought Brexit may be significant when it comes to planning flights that cross into the EU, for example.

jez d
28th Mar 2022, 16:17
Sethorion, as TheOddOne states, all UK schools have to declare training programmes for the various licences they teach. Schools can either elect to use a commercially available one, or write their own, but the latter option costs time and significant cash and off the top of my head I can't think of any UK PPL/LAPL schools who have gone down that route. The current list of CAA-approved training programmes can be seen here: Declared training organisations | Civil Aviation Authority (caa.co.uk) (https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/pilot-training-organisations/declared-training-organisations/) but essentially boils down to AFE or Pooleys as they are the only ones who commercially produce training manuals, revision guides and syllabus guides. You need to ask your school which one they are using.