PDA

View Full Version : Tangalooma & Kooringal airstrips

MagnumPI
24th Mar 2022, 00:26
Hi,

Seeking any info or reports from anyone who has flown into these strips recently. Most recent info I can find online is five years old, and high res satellite imagery not super new either it appears...

Can't find contact info for Kooringal, and trying contact via details listed here for Tangalooma (although this appears to be related to the HLS at northern end of strip).

Thinking C172N visit in a few months - 1 pilot with some camping gear, no bush wheels or anything.

Thanks!

sagan
24th Mar 2022, 00:49
Hi,

Seeking any info or reports from anyone who has flown into these strips recently. Most recent info I can find online is five years old, and high res satellite imagery not super new either it appears...

Can't find contact info for Kooringal, and trying contact via details listed here for Tangalooma (although this appears to be related to the HLS at northern end of strip).

Thinking C172N visit in a few months - 1 pilot with some camping gear, no bush wheels or anything.

Thanks!

Only suggestion I have is contact the Tangalooma Resort. It is their strip I believe. They may direct you to a contact for Kooringal.

MagnumPI
24th Mar 2022, 01:31
Thank you sagan. I have done this already and have sent through a request in writing for the directors of the resort to consider giving permission, as we won't be staying at the resort but camping on the northern end.

Any other info, tips, condition reports, scuttlebutt etc would be appreciated!

quinnyfly
24th Mar 2022, 02:13
I have been told recently that the local ranger handles airport affairs and he must be contacted for permission etc, sorry don't have his number.

The Baron
24th Mar 2022, 10:00
Flew into Dunwich for a breakfast fly in last winter. Grass on sand strip . Well drained. Parallel to western beach of island. Expect turbulence off sand dunes with a westerly blowing. Friendly aviation locals and plenty of parking. Looks like quite a few people live on the airfield precinct. I think you would be better off there.

24th Mar 2022, 12:45
I think you would be better off there.
Long wet walk from Dunwich on North Straddie to a camp site on the northern end of Mroeton Is.

mcoates
24th Mar 2022, 22:33
Korringal is private and has not been maintained for a number of years. It is only really suitable for helicopters which use the place for emergency search operations etc.

Last landed there about 10 years ago and it was soft, soft, soft. You would not get a 172 off the ground from this strip.... in fact when we were last there several Jabiru aircraft could not take off with 2 people on board, they have to go back to just the pilot only to have any chance of getting off and a couple of hours with more suitable aircraft would then fairy the passengers to Dunwich where they jump back on the Jabiru and flew off to home

catseye
24th Mar 2022, 22:37
Walked on both recently.

Visited Kooringal with ex AN crew. Strip was recently slashed and looked well cared for. Sand with good grass cover. Believe oysters are flown out of there irregularly

If Tangalooma is the strip near Cowan Cowan it too was in good condition and recently slashed.

Good spots for a c206, cherokee 6 or bongo van.

MagnumPI
24th Mar 2022, 22:40
Hey mcoates and catseye,

Thank you both for your info.

I have heard back from Tangalooma Resort, who own the Tangalooma strip. As mentioned prior - they usually only consider giving permission to resort guests, but after some back and forth they would consider my request. Here's what they said after my request went to the directors:Unfortunately I have just heard back from one of our directors and the airstrip is not in a usable condition for a fixed wing aircraft at the moment, or for the next couple of months.

There is an alternate landing strip at Kooringal through Kooringal Oyster Farms that could potentially be used.

I will drop Kooringal Oyster Farms a line. @catseye did you fly in or out of there, or just suss it out on the ground?

coops
25th Mar 2022, 10:45
First picture is from September, second is from Sunday.
Strip is the best I’ve seen. Mowed every week. There is a landing fee. If you talk to the operator they will give you the costs and condition.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x563/24db1cf9_742e_4f21_a829_f56e039f4347_f29dc5b0ebd4ec16fffd415 4030f6d15e5fd288b.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x563/634722f6_7613_4105_b2fe_ae7ddf1526bd_64b5b902a79c74a227b7161 a6f1357f598261225.jpeg

tossbag
25th Mar 2022, 10:53
Thinking C172N visit in a few months

Why? When you can get TC to drop you out there in the chopper!

catseye
26th Mar 2022, 04:53
PI
part of a landcruiser circumnavigation of the island with a bunch of ex airline air heads.

MagnumPI
29th Mar 2022, 03:44
Thanks coops and catseye.

@coops, assuming those photos are Kooringal, not Tangalooma?

I just heard back from the owner of Kooringal. Owner seems very friendly and welcoming of visitors:

Lovely to hear from you! Yes, I can most certainly help. My husband and myself have recently taken over the oyster farm here at Kooringal that does include the airstrip. You are most certainly able to land and park for as many nights as you like. We do have a landing fee of $25 and a parking fee of $10 per night. We do also have a waiver that needs to be signed and returned before you land which I have attached. Please see the answer to your questions below -

Usable length - 600m strip, there are tall trees at each end
Condition - The strip surface is unsealed, it is soft sand and grass and large wheels required to reduce rolling resistance.
Windsock - There is one on the northern end of the strip
Landing fees - $25 per land
Parking area - Yes, north east end of the strip. There is a parking fee of $10 per night
Local traffic procedures - As far as I am aware, it is what is suitable to the pilot on the day

megle2
29th Mar 2022, 22:11
Ops from the “600m soft sandy grass surface with tall trees at both ends” will be interesting to watch

MagnumPI
29th Mar 2022, 22:25
If that's directed at me, I doubt I will be using Kooringal airstrip after all as the aircraft I would be flying is not equipped with bush wheels or any STOL mods.

Is it possible - maybe, but I haven't busted out the P charts to check.

Is it outside my personal minimums - yes, so I'm not going to bother having a crack.

Cedrik
30th Mar 2022, 02:07
Why? When you can get TC to drop you out there in the chopper!
:8 :O Shows your age Tossbag :E

tossbag
30th Mar 2022, 03:33
I know.......but how good was Magnum PI??