PDA

View Full Version : BA masks

MissChief
23rd Mar 2022, 20:07
British Airways are certainly not living up to their claim concerning the wearing of masks on flights to destinations where masks are not required. I just experienced this on a flight yesterday from YVR to LHR where I was admonished by a crew member whilst boarding. I was told to wear a mask, and when I explained my understanding of BA 'rules' that this was no longer necessary, the enforcement of 'required' mask wearing was harsh and unpleasant. Aside from the unpleasant nature of this BA person (and some others), I do wonder of their staff have been professionally trained in the updated requirements that the airline so publicly announced? It seems not, although the enforcement of the crews' "beliefs" is quite alarming.

trim it out
23rd Mar 2022, 20:39
It says on the BA website (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/the-ba-experience/welcome-onboard-faqs#mask) you have to wear a mask on flights to Canada.

Oops, just seen you went Can-UK, but it does say travelling to and from.

MissChief
23rd Mar 2022, 21:15
Quite right. My confusion. BA refers to destinations, which I assumed places where one was flying to. But they mean from. A destination is where one flies to, is it not? More than ambiguous, BA are misleading in this case.

My confusion doesn't however excuse the very authoritarian behaviour of their cabin staff, who seem more like the police on a bad day. I'd almost rather travel in the back of a police van than in Club World. (Which I have once done, and the coppers were generally friendlier. The food in the nick was better too)

PAXboy
28th Mar 2022, 09:35
The BA cabin crew to JNB were good. The rules of destination apply but they were polite about mask wearing.

DaveReidUK
28th Mar 2022, 16:26
Quite right. My confusion. BA refers to destinations, which I assumed places where one was flying to. But they mean from. A destination is where one flies to, is it not? More than ambiguous, BA are misleading in this case.

Not misleading at all.

The BA website states that "If you are travelling on our flights, you will be required to wear a mask on board if the destination you are flying to or from requires you to."

Welcome back on board FAQs | British Airways (https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/the-ba-experience/welcome-onboard-faqs)

wiggy
28th Mar 2022, 20:27
Shorter Oxford English Dictionary..

“destination”: “ place to which a person or thing is going, the intended end of a journey”

It might perhaps be more slightly more accurate if BA had written “the country you are flying too or from requires you to”..

I often think some airlines didn’t like fusty words like “airports” or “countries” , they do however like “destinations” and most especially “exciting new destinations”….(places that in reality they have served before, then dropped them off the network, are now having another try at making it profitable)…

Mr Mac
29th Mar 2022, 18:26
Wiggy
You are getting cynical :)
Mischief
With regards to the comments on BA crew I have had mixed issues in the past, but you can get that with all carriers if you fly enough, though we gave up as a company using BA in 2009 unless last resort, and have only done one hop from BA to LHR pre Covid with them due to client request, and it was not memorable, and bags unsurprisingly did not make MAN connection. However I found the T5 lounge staff to be some of the worst back then, asked if I was an alcoholic ("did I have a problem") when asking for a Bucks Fizz pre 11.00am (it was 10.30 and no I did not get it, and I was travelling on holiday !)

Cheers
Mr Mac

DaveReidUK
29th Mar 2022, 20:51
Shorter Oxford English Dictionary..

“destination”: “ place to which a person or thing is going, the intended end of a journey”

It might perhaps be more slightly more accurate if BA had written “the country you are flying too or from requires you to”..

I often think some airlines didn’t like fusty words like “airports” or “countries” , they do however like “destinations” and most especially “exciting new destinations”….(places that in reality they have served before, then dropped them off the network, are now having another try at making it profitable)…

Reminds me of the old railway joke:

"I'd like a return ticket, please"

"Where to?"

"To here, of course!"

:O