PDA

View Full Version : When is an Airman not an Aviator? When he’s a retired officer of course!

Lima Juliet
22nd Mar 2022, 19:54
Well today’s RAF story muddies the water even further. Here we have a story of an old intrepid ‘aviator’, in the real meaning of the word, being designated an ‘airman’, outside of the original RAF definition, when the chap is an officer. Can the RAF’s messaging get any more confusing??

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/100-year-old-airman-completes-fundraising-flight-in-vintage-aircraft-in-tribute-to-lifelong-friend/

:ugh:

Davef68
23rd Mar 2022, 11:34
Long time ago I was told Airman with a capital was a rank, airman with a lower case was a description.

reds & greens
23rd Mar 2022, 11:50
Well done Jack!
its a phrase/word/term; does it knock the world off its axis tilt?
Lets get over it...

farsouth
23rd Mar 2022, 12:26
Not the best proof-read story either -

“. . . the day that what would have been his friend’s 100th birthday “
” C-47 Dacota aircraft “
” Broxboume airport “

NutLoose
23rd Mar 2022, 12:28
Funny I always thought they, as I did, became a Mr, Mrs, MIss, none of the "Airman" garbage.

Chugalug2
23rd Mar 2022, 12:47
Long time ago I was told Airman with a capital was a rank, airman with a lower case was a description.
Do keep up Df68! This week Aviator is a rank and airman is a description. Next week though.... The comforting thought is that the wokes will consume their own as those that get retitled turn on those that retitled them.

Personally my damn I don't give a dear, other than to top up with some more popcorn for the event. Oh, and well done Jack and your dear friend Stuart for carrying out that survey in the forties. I hope that you have passed on the details to your nearest and dearest for posterity. It would be tragic if this badly written MOD account was the only record of such a daring adventure.

Good spot LJ! Give us back our language!

Sideshow Bob
23rd Mar 2022, 12:49
When used as a title, or in place of the person's name, then it should be capitalised; all other times, it should be lower case

PlasticCabDriver
23rd Mar 2022, 13:46
Well today’s RAF story muddies the water even further. Here we have a story of an old intrepid ‘aviator’, in the real meaning of the word, being designated an ‘airman’, outside of the original RAF definition, when the chap is an officer. Can the RAF’s messaging get any more confusing??

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/100-year-old-airman-completes-fundraising-flight-in-vintage-aircraft-in-tribute-to-lifelong-friend/

:ugh:

A long time ago:

“Flt Lt PCD, under QR???? you are ordered to go and {do something you don’t want to do}”
“Sir, that QR refers to ‘airmen’ not ‘officers’ “
”In this context it means everyone”
”Unlike other QRs where there is a difference?”
”Just go and do it…”

teeteringhead
23rd Mar 2022, 15:13
Surely an airman (no capital letter) is a wide-ranging generic description, contrasting with soldier or sailor.

I believe it would be correct to say: the Duke of Wellington was a soldier, Nelson was a sailor, and Guy Gibson was an airman.

Seems pretty straightforward to me ............

2Planks
23rd Mar 2022, 16:37
Surely an airman (no capital letter) is a wide-ranging generic description, contrasting with soldier or sailor.

I believe it would be correct to say: the Duke of Wellington was a soldier, Nelson was a sailor, and Guy Gibson was an airman.

And is Pontious still a pilot?

cafesolo
23rd Mar 2022, 17:09
teeteringhead, #9 :I'm with you on this, soldiers sailors and airmen, but what would I know ? I didn't join till 1952.

J.A.F.O.
24th Mar 2022, 16:49
The story is not whether someone is an Airman or an airman or anything else but what an incredible life Jack and Stuart have undoubtedly led and what a marvellous time Jack still seems to be having.

I've just bought a copy of Stuart's book Hope Has Wings.

Union Jack
24th Mar 2022, 18:34
And is Pontious still a pilot?

Which prompts me to reflect that I don't recall seeing any posts from his back seater of late. Hope all good.

Jack

Herod
24th Mar 2022, 18:47
I chose my user name because I reckon I was OC Ops before Pontius even did Famil 1. :ok:

cynicalint
24th Mar 2022, 20:58
I chose my user name because I reckon I was OC Ops before Pontius even did Famil 1. :ok:
and the airman who looked after your airframe was Mortice, except the rank then was rigger.

Herod
24th Mar 2022, 22:11
and the airman who looked after your airframe was Mortice, except the rank then was rigger.

The old ones are the best. Not heard that in years.

Blackfriar
25th Mar 2022, 07:32

Wholeheartedly agree, though Guy Gibson’s ground crew were also airmen.
The shockingly poor English and lack of proof reading in the article is typical of most writing these days, but deeply disappointing in the RAF’s own website.

Nil_Drift
25th Mar 2022, 22:13
A great account of two courageous men. I remember a fellow C130 colleague, Wg Cdr Mike Black, left the force in the '90s to go and fly with MAF. In those days it was the Missionary Aviation Fellowship as they supplied missionaries in Africa. I guess they have rebranded to escape what might be regarded as an awkward colonial label. Nothing to apologise about in my book; they did a great work which has left an enduring legacy of schools and hospitals conveying a message of love, peace and hope.
We could do with having the MAF in many other parts of the world today!

megan
26th Mar 2022, 02:53
We could do with having the MAF in many other parts of the world todayThey currently have 26 bases world wide. The blue dots are those MAF Australia is responsible for resourcing.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/901x531/maf_02b9f387ac8fdc4094abdf0d5e06251734e9db9e.png