PDA

View Full Version : What is more important first time passes or retakes with a higher %

Tom_Gammon
22nd Mar 2022, 19:33
My friends and I are currently in ground school and have done around 1/2 our ATPL/s (2020 syllabus).
I have 1 fail with an average score of about 83% whereas they have 3 fails and an average of 87%.
I am wondering if anyone knows which has more of a weighting in terms of being employable?
for example will they chose someone with a few % lower if they have less fails or someone with a higher % and more fails?

hope someone can shine some light on this.

hobbit1983
23rd Mar 2022, 09:20
Some operators want "over 95% passes first time" or whatever, but most don't care. Just that you've got your CPL/frozen ATPL. I wouldn't worry about it.

You could make the argument that more than the pass mark is wasted effort!

flyingintheclouds
23rd Mar 2022, 09:27
I did used to think the % did matter more than I thought but unless you are airline tagged/going for a certain airline that sets a % requirement it really doesn't matter. It also wildly depends on what year of the syllabus and what phase of "banking" the exams are in.
People in 2010s up until about 2017/8 were getting near enough 95%+ past rates as the exams were very banky.
I would worry more about how many you pass and fail over the percentage, and specifically do not fail the same one twice as that shows a flaw.
Best of luck for your exams and the new syllabus.