PDA

View Full Version : a/c rego's

Bert Hinkler
25th Aug 2002, 04:07
To win a rather large wager, could someone please help settle this dispute...

where did the VH on a/c rego's come from?

*Lancer*
25th Aug 2002, 04:41
There was a long thread about this a few months ago... try doing a search.

Torres
25th Aug 2002, 23:38
There are many theories but I think you will find that internationally, the "V" series was originally allocated to British Colonies, hence VR (Hong Kong), VP (India) etc.

Australia has a range of second letter allocations: VH aviation, VK amateurs etc.

Australia also has other letters allocated, including an "A" series.

There was a long interesting thread some time ago. If you can't find it under subject search search under my name as I think I posted to it.

Ultralights
27th Aug 2002, 04:56
VK for Amature??? hmmm, Ultralight aircraft rego start with the the CASA regulation Nunber, eg, 19-3033. this aircraft complies with the regulations 19-15 of the casa strangualtion rule books! etc etc.

Dehavillanddriver
27th Aug 2002, 05:10
Well you fell into that one!

Amateurs are not people that fly ultralights but amateur radio operators..VK callsigns..

But if you are happy to consider yourself an amateur go right ahead!

Ultralights
27th Aug 2002, 05:15
I was under the impression you meant Amature as in Amature Built Aircraft!

Torres
27th Aug 2002, 06:41
Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse. Amateur Radio Operators are licensed in the VK series. Amateur Radio Operators (and all those licensed operators with radio transmitters capable of international transmission) use an Australian international call sign in the allocated alpha series. CB, on the other hand (which is supposedly not capable of international transmission) are not licensed with an international call sign.

I wonder if this is why ultra light aircraft don't carry an international call sign?

Jamair
28th Aug 2002, 23:22
VL was for civil (radio) operators, and each state had numbers; eq Qld had VL4AS as one of the emergency services, VL2AS was the equivalent NSW, etc......

Pseudonymn
1st Sep 2002, 11:32
The VK series of registration is not just for Amateur Radio Operators. The VK with a number after it, ie VK2 is for Ham Radio, and the VK with a letter after it, ie VKN has been utilised for Licensed Marine Radio (VHF & HF). Marine Radio also has other letter combinations, ie VMR, which is used by the Volunteer Marine Rescue groups, such as The Australian Volunteer Coast Guard and the Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol.