PDA

View Full Version : QF Airline service operator question

OZ-FLYBOY
25th Aug 2002, 00:44
Hi , just want to ask a few questions about ASO's. i am gojng to apply soon and just want to know what the pay is like and also what the hours would be. i know that the hours are not 9-5 but can change but i just want to know how long the shifts are.

thanks

*Lancer*
25th Aug 2002, 03:20
What's an Airline Service Operator?

RampDog
27th Aug 2002, 05:52
Airline Service Operator = Tarmac Rat !! ( That's for Lancer's benefit)

Seriously, Oz be prepared for a big letdown unless you are related to someone that already works on the Ramp and has plenty of "pull". The Red Rat is very, very selective, but experience and a work ethic are not necessarily their prime criteria. If you gain employment it would be 20 hours p.w @ $14.90 p.h. plus penalties, on a 7 day rotating roster i.e. mornings & arvos, possibly 6 days on - 1 off. You'd be told that there is no chance of being made up to fulltime, even though, in theory, they promote on merit. Keep in mind if Virgin or SA mount a challenge to QF, they'll be putting the knives thru the ranks. Union policy is last on, first off - no exceptions!
I've been thru the application process several times since March 5 (RIP AN), and all I have got is the "sorry, try again" letter, without even an interview. I'm an ex Ansett ASO 4 with a Cat 3 licence, Leading Hand, FMC & Pushback qualified. Never had a sickie in 3 years, never stole anything and stuck with my beloved AN to the bitter end. In reality, this is probably going against me, so don't you give up hope.
P.S. Don't bother with Virgin unless you're under 30, and never mention Qantas or Ansett to them, or you can just forget it.

Good luck and good hunting
RampDog