PDA

View Full Version : So when will we lose the face masks on aircraft and in the terminal?

Icarus2001
15th Mar 2022, 12:32
I have been in three capital cities this week, work and play. In bars and restaurants and mixing in crowds. No mask wearing and yet when I get to the airport on goes the mask.

Can anyone really now say with a straight face that sitting on an aircraft or terminal carries more risk than anywhere else in our cities? We cannot be worried about foreigners as we have plenty of C19 here already.

The issue that I see is that the bed wetters like the idea of masks and who is going to be the one to recommend getting rid of them?

I would love to hear a valid justification now for still having them. Or will they be like the plastic screens at the supermarket and we will be stuck with them forever..

airdualbleedfault
15th Mar 2022, 13:01
Living with covid my a55 :mad:

lucille
15th Mar 2022, 13:03
Problem is the culture of all airport ground staff makes Putin look like some limp wristed civil libertarian. These jackbooted and mainly overweight men and women whose sole pleasure in life is making passenger’s journeys as miserable as possible will not want to cede that extra bit of power.

megle2
15th Mar 2022, 21:20
Shows you how good things must be if all we can gripe about are some masks and plastic screens

Cat3508
15th Mar 2022, 22:02
Attended my local library recently. Face mask and proof of vaccination required. Supermarket next door, no masks and no check in needed. Very confusing, to say the least !

Pinky the pilot
16th Mar 2022, 01:05
If an article written by Steve Waterson in the Weekend Australian December 24-26 last year is correct (the relevant part is a bit lengthy to quote here) according to "a Scientist who advises the British Goverment's SAGE committee on airborne transmission of the virus" it is somewhat pointless even wearing the mask!

According to this Scientist, the size of the material gaps in the blue surgical masks are up to 1000 times greater than the size of the virus! And cloth-mask gaps can be 500,000 times the size.

I have been told much the same by a few Medicos.:hmm:

SuPeRcHaRgEd
16th Mar 2022, 01:07
Britain is leading the way once again. Relaxing mask requirements in airports. BA and Virgin Atlantic the first to relax requirements on board.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60757887

tossbag
16th Mar 2022, 02:02
"a Scientist who advises the British Goverment's SAGE committee on airborne transmission of the virus" it is somewhat pointless even wearing the mask!"

nah, nah, nah, nah.

You are obviously reading the wrong science. There's only one science, the hysterical leftard science that governments refuse to release for public consumption.

MickG0105
16th Mar 2022, 02:09
If an article written by Steve Waterson in the Weekend Australian December 24-26 last year is correct (the relevant part is a bit lengthy to quote here) according to "a Scientist who advises the British Goverment's SAGE committee on airborne transmission of the virus" it is somewhat pointless even wearing the mask!

According to this Scientist, the size of the material gaps in the blue surgical masks are up to 1000 times greater than the size of the virus! And cloth-mask gaps can be 500,000 times the size.

Waterson writes for his audience. The argument about the size of the virus versus mask materials is utterly ridiculous. The virus doesn't commute in the air as single viral entities. It can't because, apart from anything else, it needs to be in a sustaining fluid. The virus is carried in respiratory droplets many, many times larger than the virus itself. That's what the masks stop.

Pinky the pilot
16th Mar 2022, 02:31
The argument about the size of the virus versus mask materials is utterly ridiculous.

So you're saying that the Scientist concerned does not know what he's talking about.:confused:

it needs to be in a sustaining fluid. The virus is carried in respiratory droplets many, many times larger than the virus itself. That's what the masks stop.

The Scientist is also quoted in this article that "..Aerosols in the wearer's breath escape masks and render them ineffective.."

Once again, I have been told much the same by a few Medicos.

MickG0105
16th Mar 2022, 02:56
So you're saying that the Scientist concerned does not know what he's talking about.:confused:
If that's what "The Scientist" said then yes, NFI what he or she is talking about. Viruses don't travel in the air as individual entities.

The Scientist is also quoted in this article that "..Aerosols in the wearer's breath escape masks and render them ineffective.." Once again, I have been told much the same by a few Medicos.Improper fitting masks is an entirely different argument.

I guess your medico mates will be able to convince the surgical and infectious diseases community that they're all wrong and masks can be dropped as one of the most prevalent forms of infection control.

Believe what you want.
​​​​​​​

Icarus2001
16th Mar 2022, 03:48
Leaving aside the issue of how effective masks are, why wear them at airports and on the aircraft when they are not required almost anywhere else?
The same can be said for the requirement on public transport and taxis.

43Inches
16th Mar 2022, 04:00
Anyone who says masks are ineffective at some level of protection vs airborne transmission is just plain stupid. However the effectiveness does vary from material and proper fitting, anything that provides a block between whats in the air and your face provides protection. Even having fly screen over your face will afford some minute protection but it's not worth the effort, ie you will probably still catch covid as it will not stop enough of it. It all comes down to how much you are exposed to, vs how much is caught in the material vs how much your immune system can handle.

That being said most airports are large, well ventilated spaces, as long as you can maintain physical separation from others there is no need for masks. On board an aircraft it's probably pointless, as you are sitting in a poorly ventilated tube where you are surrounded by whatever is expelled from other passengers, it would really come down to whether you were seated near to a covid + or not. The masks would only be of benefit to say, passing through security, where you are confined in close proximity to others, but moving constantly through the area in short time, or on a transit bus etc. The obvious protection comes from a C+ individual coughing, the mask will slow down and catch a lot of the ejected particulate, reducing both the amount of virus ejected and the distance in which it's ejected to. That's assuming the wearer doesn't take off their mask to cough, which I've seen on numerous occasions.

maxter
16th Mar 2022, 05:49
I have been in three capital cities this week, work and play. In bars and restaurants and mixing in crowds. No mask wearing and yet when I get to the airport on goes the mask.

Can anyone really now say with a straight face that sitting on an aircraft or terminal carries more risk than anywhere else in our cities? We cannot be worried about foreigners as we have plenty of C19 here already.

The issue that I see is that the bed wetters like the idea of masks and who is going to be the one to recommend getting rid of them?

I would love to hear a valid justification now for still having them. Or will they be like the plastic screens at the supermarket and we will be stuck with them forever..
Yes I can say that. Caught up in T4 Melbourne Friday for 6.5 hours due to 4 hour flight delay. I tested positive to covid Monday morning. The previous 4 days in Melbourne were 100% covid safe, masked, hire car, no public transport, restaurant etc and none of the 4 people I interacted with have covid. Issue with terminal and flight as I see it, most pretend to drink hence no mask. Covid is not the flu for many of us.

Icarus2001
16th Mar 2022, 05:56
I am not sure that I follow your logic. You think you caught C19 on Friday at the airport. How does that mean it carries a greater risk than anywhere else where people gather?
You say your previous four days were “Covid safe”, so that cannot compare to the airport? Were you wearing a mask at the airport? If so, did it help?

ScepticalOptomist
16th Mar 2022, 06:02
Covid is not the flu for many of us.

You’re right, it’s barely a cold for most of us.

Pinky the pilot
16th Mar 2022, 06:27
If that's what "The Scientist" said then yes, NFI what he or she is talking about. Viruses don't travel in the air as individual entities.

MickG0105; Purely out of curiousity, what are your qualifications entitling you to make such a statement?

43Inches
16th Mar 2022, 06:31
Yes I can say that. Caught up in T4 Melbourne Friday for 6.5 hours due to 4 hour flight delay. I tested positive to covid Monday morning. The previous 4 days in Melbourne were 100% covid safe, masked, hire car, no public transport, restaurant etc and none of the 4 people I interacted with have covid. Issue with terminal and flight as I see it, most pretend to drink hence no mask. Covid is not the flu for many of us.

Considering how big Melbourne airport is and the outside areas available you must not be practicing very good "Covid safety". Once you check in you have ample spaces to remove yourself for 6 hours at least 10 meters away from others.

tossbag
16th Mar 2022, 06:33
So Pinky The Pilot, here you have it, it doesn't matter what science you quote, it ain't right. Jump on board the leftard train.

Lookleft
16th Mar 2022, 06:36
Not in the Jetstar terminal you can't. On Friday they were packed in like sardines because of the long weekend in Vic and the ACT. A lot of pax aren't even bothering to wear a mask in the terminal so I could well imagine picking up Covid at Melbourne Airport on Friday.

Anilv
16th Mar 2022, 06:36
wrt to the effectiveness of masks.. I usually get a cold/fever/sore throats.. not chronic but much like everybody else...usually 2-3 times a year. Since we've to masks (getting close to 2 years) I've never encountered these illnesses and I credit the widespread mask usage /hand-washing etc.

Anilv

TurningFinalRWY36
16th Mar 2022, 06:41
wrt to the effectiveness of masks.. I usually get a cold/fever/sore throats.. not chronic but much like everybody else...usually 2-3 times a year. Since we've to masks (getting close to 2 years) I've never encountered these illnesses and I credit the widespread mask usage /hand-washing etc.

Anilv
which is not a good thing, immune system needs something to do periodically. When you do catch your next cold you may find it hits a little harder than usual.

43Inches
16th Mar 2022, 06:50
Not in the Jetstar terminal you can't. On Friday they were packed in like sardines because of the long weekend in Vic and the ACT. A lot of pax aren't even bothering to wear a mask in the terminal so I could well imagine picking up Covid at Melbourne Airport on Friday.

My point is that if you are delayed 6 hours you don't have to sit in that terminal, go outside, if its raining go to one of the huge covered car parks. There's many places you can go to get away from the crush if you are scared of catching covid, the mask wont save you if you are physically rubbing against an infected person. Covid is not just hanging around in the air, you have to be near someone or touch what they have touched recently, which is why the 1.5m gap is recommended, once you get to 3 or 4 times that distance its impossible to catch unless you touch the stuff and put it in your mouth through poor hygiene.

WingNut60
16th Mar 2022, 06:55
I am generally in support of the wearing of masks but, as an example, I caught a reasonably full public bus this morning and everyone on board was wearing a mask, as required by mandate in WA.
However the driver and I were the only two that I could see who wore their mask covering their nose.
Which equates to about 90%+ non-compliant.

There is no point at all in having a "pretend" mandate.

43Inches
16th Mar 2022, 07:04
It's quite easy to see in supermarkets in Victoria for instance, as soon as the mandate was removed the customers whipped them off almost instantly, and there has been a corresponding rise in cases, however it's not resulting in massive fatalities as everyone is vaccinated. So it can be reasonably assumed that while masks work, they are not required for most of the population as Covid has lost its bite for the majority of the vaccinated. This is where the stupid message of whether masks work or not is just making the argument stagnant, the discussion is more about whether they are needed vs the severity of the disease.

Marauder
16th Mar 2022, 07:52
And yet Dictator Dan openly professes that he bases his decisions on medical advice.

The only medical advise that I have heard since he removed the mask mandate was to continue with masks ( as a minor inconvenience)

Dave Gittins
16th Mar 2022, 13:28
Jet 2, BA and Virgin have stopped the wearing of mask (unless they are still mandated at the destination.

Heathrow has stopped requiring them to be worn and Gatwick will no longer require them from 04.00 on Friday 18th March.

twentyelevens
17th Mar 2022, 01:30
We’ve gone so far down the rabbit hole over the last two years, some of the most inane arguments to defend what amounts to telling others how to live their lives, how to manage others risks, go unchallenged with nothing other than emotional hysteria to back them up.

You wanna wear a mask, good for you, your choice.

You wanna go somewhere where people don’t wear masks or don’t wear them properly (comply is the adverb I saw used), good for you, your choice. Just stop whinging about other people not doing what you demand they do.

If you asses the risk of covid is too great at these places where the nasty covid addled, non compliant people meet, don’t go. If thats what you choose good for you, your choice.

If you decide to do what you want, go where you want to go, then demand everyone else comply to minimise the perceived risk to you, grow the f*&k up, you petulant child.

Icarus2001
17th Mar 2022, 01:52
We’ve gone so far down the rabbit hole over the last two years, some of the most inane arguments to defend what amounts to telling others how to live their lives, how to manage others risks, go unchallenged with nothing other than emotional hysteria to back them up. That pretty much sums up my view of where we are at.

Just stop whinging about other people not doing what you demand they do. The biggest frustration I find in the world today is just that. People wanting to impose their will on others, because they are "right". Just because we are out of lock downs and mandates does not mean you HAVE to go out, stay home if you are worried and let the rest of us get on with our lives. Same for mask wearing.

WingNut60
17th Mar 2022, 02:05
........ Just stop whinging about other people not doing what you demand they do.

If you asses the risk of covid is too great at these places where the nasty covid addled, non compliant people meet, don’t go..................
And stop whining about people who don't comply with air traffic directives too.
If you don't like cross traffic in front of you while you're on short final then bugger off and land somewhere else.

twentyelevens
17th Mar 2022, 02:21
That pretty much sums up my view of where we are at.

The biggest frustration I find in the world today is just that. People wanting to impose their will on others, because they are "right". Just because we are out of lock downs and mandates does not mean you HAVE to go out, stay home if you are worried and let the rest of us get on with our lives. Same for mask wearing.

I hear ya Icurus.
For me, the biggest frustration is dealing with inane non-sequiturs as argument to a logical point. You just know these people want to scream “why won't you just do what I demand you do…coz ma feelings.”

And stop whining about people who don't comply with air traffic directives too.
If you don't like cross traffic in front of you while you're on short final then bugger off and land somewhere else.

43Inches
17th Mar 2022, 02:38
We are all governed by rules, it's really the only reason some of your neighbors don't literally throw feces at you in an argument (some still do). If ya don't like rules you need to buy your own island state and live on it for a while. Otherwise all the poor not 1%ers who can't afford their own nation have to live by the rules that somebody else makes.

We only have to hope that the Putin madness stops with Ukraine and we don't end up in a World War situation, then you will really understand what restrictions, rationing, stupid prices and doing things you don't want to mean. The pandemic lockdowns will have looked like primary school practice compared.

Angle of Attack
17th Mar 2022, 09:30
2 years at least…

43Inches
17th Mar 2022, 09:49
I just find it funny how aggro people get about wearing a mask, and then scream at others for being a 'petulant child'. Meanwhile the rest of the country just does or does not. Sums up the last two years really, a lot of loopy wolves howling at the moon. We're at the other end and no, Dan has not become the leader of the 5th reich, yes millions have died from the disease, no we all don't have 5g installed internally and we are almost back to where we were 3 years ago with everyone pissed off at petrol prices and how hard we have to work to buy a small hovel in the burbs.

BTW I think we're all &*^*&ed by years end.

Good Business Sense
17th Mar 2022, 12:02
Do pilots of commercial GA aircraft types which don't have a cockpit door have to wear a mask in-flight in Australia and New Zealand? Many thanks

Icarus2001
17th Mar 2022, 13:04
We are all governed by rules, it's really the only reason some of your neighbors don't literally throw feces at you in an argument (some still do). If ya don't like rules you need to buy your own island state and live on it for a while. Come on, of course we follow rules, otherwise how could I drive through a green traffic light without too much stress but that does not mean ALL rules are justified or even sensible.

I will put this in an aviation context for you. In the early days of ultralights in Australia, they could not be flown above 500 feet agl as this would be unsafe. Now they cannot be flown below 500 feet agl as this would be unsafe.
When you have a state government instructing solo drivers in cars to wear a mask you know they are making this stuff up.

BTW I think we're all &*^*&ed by years end. In what way?

tossbag
17th Mar 2022, 16:04
In what way?

World War III

Fogliner
17th Mar 2022, 20:19

you seem to be missing the point that wearing a mask prevents the wearer from spewing virus laden spittle all over anything within range to then be picked up by random people and spread around.
I know you don’t think you spit while talking but people do it’s a fact.
Deny it if you like and do but you can’t deny that fact.

tossbag
18th Mar 2022, 00:32
With respect, you don't know what is going on behind the scenes. You don't know how far Putin is willing to take this. A good read is the NATO action in 1983, Able Archer. Just how close the world got to nuclear war. Present day, two VERY unstable world leaders, although one of them is reduced to dribble farm status and is not really calling the shots anyway. I don't doubt it could happen, thinking that "nah, they wouldn't do it as they know it means MAD" is a bit, naive.

Ladloy
20th Apr 2022, 05:01
As a U.S Federal court judge has invalidated the mask mandate on U.S carriers, and Europe has largely stopped forcing citizens to act as unwilling participants in their Government COVID clown shows, how long until we hear the first rumblings of ‘perhaps we should agitate for the same here’?

Btw, if you’re for mask wearing on aircraft, fill your boots. Its not a zero sum game. When the mandates do come off, we’ll all still respect your right to wear your compliance cloth…..because, you know, The Science ™️.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/680x383/images_jpeg_2_95e63c174cf6289e2d6fc124355351651299d38e.jpg

morno
20th Apr 2022, 05:23
I always suspected, correctly apparently, that slavish adherence to mask mandates, and the subsequent lack of oxygen, caused at the least a diminution of creativity, if not outright cognitive decline.

Ohh dear :rolleyes:

Pastor of Muppets
20th Apr 2022, 06:11
Any legislation where there is a perceived reduction in public safety requires someone in a government department to take responsibility and that is plain un-Australian.

Fuel-Off
20th Apr 2022, 07:18
It could all be for naught as the judge in question (a Trump appointee) has been deemed 'not qualified' by the American Bar Association, citing she lacks professional experience (she was only 33 when she was appointed by the former President). The Justice Department is already planning to appeal on that basis.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/19/1093566982/florida-mask-mandate-judge-kathryn-mizelle

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
21st Apr 2022, 22:56
In QLD you are only deemed to be a close contact basically if you live with someone who has Covid (ie more than 4 hrs contact in close proximity in the same household). Apparently you're immune if this occurs in the workplace or public, but go figure. Under that logic, I would have to be in the same fairly small confined space as a confirmed Covid carrier for at least 4 hrs to even be considered a close contact, let alone what the odds are of actually catching it during that time. How long in general does anyone stand in close proximity to the same person while at an airport? No way would it be anywhere near 4 hours. You probably have the same chance of breathing in the cough of a covid carrier standing in line at security or the boarding gate as in the line at the supermarket checkout, or on a busy Saturday morning in Bunnings. But where do you have to wear a mask? Only at the airport. Crazy and non-sensical.
Southern states are looking at imminently scrapping their close contact definitions, making masks in airports even more absurd.
You don't have to sign in at the airport, they don't contact trace positives, they don't declare hot spots anymore, the police don't enforce mask wearing, we are almost all double vaxxed as a minimum. Why bother?

ScepticalOptomist
22nd Apr 2022, 04:02
In QLD you are only deemed to be a close contact basically if you live with someone who has Covid (ie more than 4 hrs contact in close proximity in the same household). Apparently you're immune if this occurs in the workplace or public, but go figure. Under that logic, I would have to be in the same fairly small confined space as a confirmed Covid carrier for at least 4 hrs to even be considered a close contact, let alone what the odds are of actually catching it during that time. How long in general does anyone stand in close proximity to the same person while at an airport? No way would it be anywhere near 4 hours. You probably have the same chance of breathing in the cough of a covid carrier standing in line at security or the boarding gate as in the line at the supermarket checkout, or on a busy Saturday morning in Bunnings. But where do you have to wear a mask? Only at the airport. Crazy and non-sensical.
Southern states are looking at imminently scrapping their close contact definitions, making masks in airports even more absurd.
You don't have to sign in at the airport, they don't contact trace positives, they don't declare hot spots anymore, the police don't enforce mask wearing, we are almost all double vaxxed as a minimum. Why bother?

Agree 100%

Time to move on already.

Icarus2001
22nd Apr 2022, 06:35
No move before the election, hopefully sensible removable with the next government.

belongamick
23rd Apr 2022, 01:40
No move before the election, hopefully sensible removable with the next government.

Airport and aircraft mask mandates came out of an agreement at National Cabinet last year. As Icarus2001 said, nothing is going to change until they meet again after the election and there is 'agreement' to remove them.

Dear Lear / Dictator / WOTEVA Dan said in the last few days that they are 'looking' :E at giving up the emergency public health powers in July. In Vic the health orders that empower the mask mandate are themselves empowered by the public health emergency declaration. Makes you think mid-year is pretty likely.

kingRB
23rd Apr 2022, 07:02
Airport and aircraft mask mandates came out of an agreement at National Cabinet last year. As Icarus2001 said, nothing is going to change until they meet again after the election and there is 'agreement' to remove them.

what does a national cabinet have to do with it? Just a few months ago each state was being run as if it were their own country.

morno
23rd Apr 2022, 08:18
Is there anyone representing us to the National cabinet on this?
Where is the AFAP?

Why would the AFAP want to get involved? Is it really that bad to wear one that you think the AFAP is going to make an issue of it?

Mugsgame
23rd Apr 2022, 11:14
Would Airports (terminals) would be in the Realm of the Fedral Government???
I guess then, the Libs might gain a few votes in removing some restrictions a week or two before the election....

Potsie Weber
23rd Apr 2022, 23:00
Though there was agreement at national cabinet for mask wearing on domestic aircraft and in airports, it is each states own public health orders that enact the requirements. If, for example, just NSW rescinded their orders, a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne would have no mask requirements whilst flying over NSW, but still required when over QLD and VIC.

airdualbleedfault
25th Apr 2022, 09:01
Melbourne Airport are certainly not enforcing mask mandate judging from a recent trip there

Lazyload
26th Apr 2022, 02:12
“If, for example, just NSW rescinded their orders, a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne would have no mask requirements whilst flying over NSW, but still required when over QLD and VIC.”

i don’t think the airspace you are currently in determines jurisdiction. But I’ve always wondered: suppose you are pax on a US registered airplane but leased to say a Spanish carrier and you commit a serious offence eg a murder. Which law applies a) while at the gate in sydney, b) taxying out, c) airborne over Australia, d) enroute over pacific. Not thinking of doing it but would like to know anyway

t_cas
26th Apr 2022, 02:49
Apply the “Tokyo convention”.

A VH registered aircraft is Australian jurisdiction in flight and the destination laws apply.

What is the federal rule for masks?

Can the Airlines “mandate” masks?

Is refusing to wear a mask onboard “refusing to follow a lawful direction or reasonable crew instruction?”

Potsie Weber
26th Apr 2022, 09:36
“If, for example, just NSW rescinded their orders, a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne would have no mask requirements whilst flying over NSW, but still required when over QLD and VIC.”

i don’t think the airspace you are currently in determines jurisdiction. But I’ve always wondered: suppose you are pax on a US registered airplane but leased to say a Spanish carrier and you commit a serious offence eg a murder. Which law applies a) while at the gate in sydney, b) taxying out, c) airborne over Australia, d) enroute over pacific. Not thinking of doing it but would like to know anyway

As far as public health orders go, each state has included the airspace above the state in their respective orders.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infrastructure-transport-vehicles/aviation/covid19-response/journey-protocol

Here is NSW

Part 2.6 Fitted face coverings
(d) on a domestic commercial aircraft, including when the aircraft is flying above New South Wales

https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/file/Public%20Health%20(COVID-19%20General)%20Order%202022_220422.pdf

t_cas
26th Apr 2022, 10:21
Airspace Act 2007. Airspace is administered by CASA and therefore desert jurisdiction. States can only stipulate law or direction at other than federal airports within their state.

Aircraft are note state registered, they are Australian registered. Federal. A pilot license is federal not state.

It is interesting how any requirements can be stipulated when overflight per se does not affect the environment being overflown. Departure and arrival protocols at federal airports are federal jurisdiction. Except where agreement is reached landside for local (state) law enforcement powers.

Icarus2001
26th Apr 2022, 12:30
So which states liquor licence is in effect in flight?

WingNut60
26th Apr 2022, 14:28
So which states liquor licence is in effect in flight?
I seem to remember that the province of Alberta imposed (tried to impose?) such a restriction under the Draconian, restrictive alcohol laws of the 60's (not prohibition).

Potsie Weber
26th Apr 2022, 15:04
I’m no lawyer, but I thought most federal cases were handled in state courts anyway. Import drugs into Australia (federal offence) and get caught in NSW, then you would face court in NSW and go to jail there. Doesn’t really matter if a federal or state offence, consequences are the same.

Im not sure if there has been anything enacted (health order wise) federally (regulated by CASA) regarding masks on domestic flights, so maybe you only face whatever state rules you bust. Maybe disobeying a crew order, as a federal offence (crimes aviation act) and you would end up in court wherever you land.

If you committed an offence by not wearing a mask whilst flying over NSW, then I guess you could be summoned to a NSW court to face the law.

redsnail
27th Apr 2022, 13:17
Many airports in Europe don't require masks. If both the destination and the departure point don't require masks, then you don't have to inflight (assuming the airline itself doesn't require it). Most EU and UK airlines aren't actively enforcing the mask on rule. They're sick of the dramas.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
27th Apr 2022, 17:50
This conversation is almost identical to the one which which occurred when mask mandates were first introduced across the states. Re Melb Airport not enforcing mask wearing, I think the Airports have taken the position that it is not up to them per se to enforce State Laws, as have the Airlines. They can point out to a person the State requirements, but they can't make someone obey them. That's up to the cops, who are notable by their absence generally.

Icarus2001
28th Jun 2022, 23:23
So we finally have caught up with the developed world and ceased mandating masks in airports, only to be faced with the illogical situation of having to wear them on the aircraft.
The rest of the world has moved on, hurry up Australia and join the world.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
29th Jun 2022, 10:49
The illogical farce is that when you get outside the terminal and are waiting in the taxi rank (with all the other people who just walked maskless through the terminal with you) you have to put a mask on, then when you get out of the taxi at the packed airport DFO you can take it off again.

in a taxi, rideshare vehicle or commercial shuttle, including while waiting at a taxi rank or pick-up area

jolihokistix
29th Jun 2022, 12:27
Just flew with an oriental airline. 100% mask wearing was being urged over the loudspeakers in Kansai International airport building and Seoul Incheon and throughout both flights. Saw no exceptions until awaiting luggage at Heathrow T4 when Westerners lost theirs asap.

compressor stall
29th Jun 2022, 13:51
Yes, still very hit and miss out there paxing about the planet.

PoppaJo
30th Jun 2022, 02:17
You subject the population of this country to wear a mask in such settings that is having zero impact on the overall Covid picture across the nation. We are achieving nothing and wasting our time. I have had altercations recently with passengers having a crack at other passengers over this rule.

Good luck to all the Asian nations above us. Hardly places I would be taking advice from. I wish them luck in whatever the hell they are attempting to achieve. From what I’ve recently heard from some expat pilots in Asia, and the continuous bull$hit they are subject to, I’m glad I’m living in the west.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
30th Jun 2022, 12:10
Heard today that some airline staff were being asked to wear a mask at work to stave off the flu, as staff shortages due sickness from that were hurting as much as Covid.

Mach E Avelli
4th Jul 2022, 07:54
So we finally have caught up with the developed world and ceased mandating masks in airports, only to be faced with the illogical situation of having to wear them on the aircraft.
The rest of the world has moved on, hurry up Australia and join the world.
Some of "the rest of the world" is already leaning back towards mask mandates. Outside China, it would be a very courageous government that would re-introduce lockdowns, but the bureaucrats have to be seen to be doing something - whether masks are effective or not is not for me to debate as I am unqualified to do so.
But unless we get covid rates down very soon, expect Australia to follow with mask mandates in the not too distant future.
If it avoids lockdowns, suck it up, says I.
I am off to Europe soon for an extended trip, and have packed a couple of dozen masks in anticipation.

Obie
4th Jul 2022, 08:37
As Covid is now the third major cause of death in Australia, after cancer and heart deaths... diabetes now displaced to fourth place, I would have thought that we would be a bit concerned about that! Apparently not so!

PoppaJo
4th Jul 2022, 13:18
Covid cases will go up and down for the next 5/10/15 years. Get used to it. Move on.

Deaths are irrelevant to the general public now, deaths skew older, nobody seems to care anymore. If 1000 dropped dead tomorrow you will find people just don’t give two sh!ts anymore. Life has moved on. I flick channels soon as a health expert or something pops educating us why we need to lockdowns, mandates again, in which then just destroys this industry once again for the hundredth time. People will be dropping dead from Covid for the remainder of our lives, can’t live in lockdown forever.

Icarus2001
4th Jul 2022, 13:35
Some of "the rest of the world" is already leaning back towards mask mandates. Can you name some countries?

As Covid is now the third major cause of death in Australia, after cancer and heart deaths... diabetes now displaced to fourth place,
Can you post a link to show that is the case?

ABS link…https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/health/causes-death

Mach E Avelli
4th Jul 2022, 18:25
Icarus, a return to masks in public places was being debated in France only last week. As of last week masks were still required on aircraft in several European countries (Italy, Lithuania being two I know of). Maybe scrapped over the weekend - dunno…?
Plenty of places still recommend masks on public transport - and no, I am not going to cite those places - instead of relying on my implied ‘hearsay’ check it out yourself.
But ‘recommended’ only works well in less bogan cultures, where people have some respect for those around them and are sensitive to peer pressure. Recommended would be a dismal failure here - punch-ups on the trams and all that. Hence, I think we are on course for mandates again.

redsnail
4th Jul 2022, 19:23
Germany is discussing masks for Autumn/Winter. Sigh....

Icarus2001
4th Jul 2022, 22:54
So M e AV not really any countries returning to mask wearing, just a few hangers on from the previous requirement and some discussion about possibly returning to mask wearing.

According to this link Covid was not in the top five causes of death in 2021…https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/life-expectancy-death/deaths-in-australia/contents/leading-causes-of-death

This link is for the first three months of 2022…https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/health/causes-death/provisional-mortality-statistics/latest-release

Covid?

Mach E Avelli
5th Jul 2022, 02:06
[QUOTE=Icarus2001;11256367]So M e AV not really any countries returning to mask wearing, just a few hangers on from the previous requirement and some discussion about possibly returning to mask wearing.

So where did I say otherwise?

QUOTE According to this link Covid was not in the top five causes of death in 2021…https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/life-expectancy-death/deaths-in-australia/contents/leading-causes-of-death

This link is for the first three months of 2022…https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/health/causes-death/provisional-mortality-statistics/latest-release

Not that I made the original claim (that was another poster) but the Australian Financial Review dated 2nd July 2022 has a headline stating that covid is now the #2 killer. It's behind a paywall so I don't know whether it means in Australia, or world wide.
Cause of death statistics could well be behind the drag curve, with last year or even the first three months of this year being irrelevant to where we are currently.
Starvation has, or will, overtake covid in many places before year's end, but either way the covid numbers are still making mask mandates more likely than not to return later in the year.

tossbag
5th Jul 2022, 04:13
As Covid is now the third major cause of death in Australia

Ah..ah.......ahhhh BULLSH!T.

The only people that want masks back are the ugly people. Pity they haven't invented the equivalent of a mask that hides obesity. We could then hide behind all of the western diseases that contribute to 'covid deaths'

Cool Guys
5th Jul 2022, 04:59
I hope face masks remain mandatory in places where you have no choice but to be in close contact with others, such as when flying or on public transport. I had covid once and I would rather reduce the possibilities of getting it again.

Australopithecus
5th Jul 2022, 06:52
If you haven’t seen today’s news NSW has issued advice to again mask up indoors. Apparently the various CMOs are in discussion about another round of national mask mandates. Even for the fit and beautiful apparently, although I don’t see how they can satisfy their vanity while so encumbered.

I have been over the mask caper for a few months now, but read today that variant B.A.5 is the worst Omicron yet, and is spiking hospital admissions again. As predicted, Covid19 is going to be around for quite a while. The daily death rate here is around 30. Since we have collectively decided that we just don’t care anymore I guess we can look forward to bad winters.

cloudsurfng
5th Jul 2022, 07:27
More likely that they will push a 4th shot over masks. More money in it!!

I’m happy with whatever keeps people flying. If it’s masks, so be it, same with boosters. Having said that, and mandate needs to be accompanied by a full scale enquiry into each states handling over the last 2 years, as well as a guarantee of criminal charges if a premier/cho has denied an Australian their rights (ie access to a hospital for critical surgery…ring any bells?)

C441
5th Jul 2022, 07:39
The cynic in me thinks that Queen P's announcement of "no change" to Covid protocols up here Canetoad County is because polling suggests that the majority (of voters) are resistant to further Covid restrictions and she she'll stick with decision making by focus-group consensus.

PoppaJo
5th Jul 2022, 09:07
Perrottet is facing the exit next May. Won’t do jack. NSW Libs are skating on thin ice at the moment as it is, any rules or mandates they are toast.

Icarus2001
26th Jul 2022, 05:38
So over TWO MONTHS since EASA relaxed their mask rules…

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/2022-releases/2022-05-11-01/

Emperor Mark refuses to extend mask mandate…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-18/wa-government-refuses-to-extend-mask-mandate/101245778

How about we remove the mandate on aircraft? If you want to wear a mask, then wear one.

Rataxes
29th Jul 2022, 03:27
Perrottet is facing the exit next May. Won’t do jack. NSW Libs are skating on thin ice at the moment as it is, any rules or mandates they are toast.
He's on notice after the trade commissioner fiasco.

Icarus2001
31st Aug 2022, 08:17
Nine more days until we lose masks on aircraft for domestic. Australia once again months behind the rest of the world.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-31/prime-minister-albanese-national-cabinet-meeting/101390894

Pinky the pilot
31st Aug 2022, 10:20
Nine more days until we lose masks on aircraft for domestic. Australia once again months behind the rest of the world.

And I have no doubt that there will still be some 'Chicken Littles' who will protest about this, saying that we need to keep wearing masks for our own good etc etc.

It wasn't all that long ago that I read a Letter to the Editor in one of the papers from some 'concerned citizen' who demanded that Australia close its borders again!:rolleyes::ugh:

Mr_App
31st Aug 2022, 10:51
Why are we waiting 9 days?

Bend alot
31st Aug 2022, 19:48
Why are we waiting 9 days?
It is all in the Science, always has been.

KRviator
31st Aug 2022, 20:58
And I have no doubt that there will still be some 'Chicken Littles' who will protest about this, saying that we need to keep wearing masks for our own good etc etc.If you have a health condition that renders you susceptible to cooties, then the onus is on you to protect yourself! I don't need my hand held when I cross the road, I look both ways and assess when its' safe to go. Same applies for getting sick. If I were immuno-compromised and travelling, then I'd still wear a mask, even if not required.

Falling Leaf
1st Sep 2022, 03:23
If you have a health condition that renders you susceptible to cooties, then the onus is on you to protect yourself! I don't need my hand held when I cross the road, I look both ways and assess when its' safe to go. Same applies for getting sick. If I were immuno-compromised and travelling, then I'd still wear a mask, even if not required.

That sounds like common sense, but the left hates the notion of personal responsibility. Only government can tell you the right thing to do in the left's opinion. In fact the president of the AMA (yes those who make neurosurgeons from other countries start med school from Day 1 as their qualifications aren't recognised) was on Sky news saying ending the mandate will put pressure on immune compromised people as they should wear a mask. So there you go, better to force everyone to do something they don't need to do, then force an individual who does need a mask to take self responsibility!

Pinky the pilot
1st Sep 2022, 11:14
but the left hates the notion of personal responsibility.

Indeed! Some of the left do not even believe in personal responsibility. To some, there is no such thing.

It's always some elses fault!!:rolleyes:

dr dre
1st Sep 2022, 12:54
Indeed! Some of the left do not even believe in personal responsibility. To some, there is no such thing.

It's always some elses fault!!:rolleyes:

Funny, if I’m not mistaken the mask mandate on aircraft was instituted by a right wing federal government and just ended by a left wing one???

kingRB
2nd Sep 2022, 00:31
Funny, if I’m not mistaken the mask mandate on aircraft was instituted by a right wing federal government and just ended by a left wing one???

The Overton window is so obviously driven by the left these days - but nice try.

KittyKatKaper
2nd Sep 2022, 06:32
And I have no doubt that there will still be some 'Chicken Littles' who will protest about this, saying that we need to keep wearing masks for our own good etc etc.

I can 'see and avoid' traffic, but it is somewhat more difficult to see & avoid virii.

kingRB
2nd Sep 2022, 06:44
I can 'see and avoid' traffic, but it is somewhat more difficult to see & avoid virii.

that's called life - if you don't like it, then don't leave your house. Continuing to force everyone to wear ****ty fitting bits of cloth over their face does nothing more than satisfy the bureaucratic need for safety theatre.

Lookleft
2nd Sep 2022, 07:28

Did you miss what the left wing State governments did with lockdowns and border closures then?

Fliegenmong
2nd Sep 2022, 08:39
Did you miss what the left wing State governments did with lockdowns and border closures then?

....but that was not the question was it? In fact it was a factual statement...

....But that would not fit your narrative would it?

HK144
2nd Sep 2022, 08:44

Let's not forget that whilst it might have been instigated by a right wing federal government, it was also copping a lot of pressure to do so by State Governments, three of which were openly hostile to anything the Federal Government at the time said/did.

dr dre
2nd Sep 2022, 09:59
Don’t worry, I know the Overton window for some is “because most of the Federal Liberals and NSW State Liberals in 2020-22 bought into vaccines, masks and border closures they’re really part of the EXTREME LEFT, and it’s more the “red pilled” in the LNP like George Christensen and Gerard Rennick along with One Nation, UAP and Craig Kelly who are part of the SENSIBLE CENTRE!”

Falling Leaf
3rd Sep 2022, 03:32
What rubbish. As if there's any difference between left/right in this country. Fear mongering, hysteria was elevated to an art form. I have a family member sick as a dog with a virus, not covid, but all of a sudden a respiratory virus has become mainstream again. The majority of any country's population are sheep, easily manipulated and controlled. And look at them (you) continuing idealogical, garbage arguments. Sheep the lot of you.

Er, yes there is. Otherwise what is all the noise over the culture wars in this country?

I wish
11th Sep 2022, 04:24
Continuing to force everyone to wear ****ty fitting bits of cloth over their face an expensive ASIC does nothing more than satisfy the bureaucratic need for safety theatre.

minimum needed to post

compressor stall
11th Sep 2022, 05:06

And under which entities were the legal directions issued to wear a mark in aircraft?

I'll give you a clue - there were 8 of them.