PDA

View Full Version : foreign ATPL and Qantas or Virgin applications?

Skippy69
15th Mar 2022, 12:31
Is it a steadfast rule that one must complete Aus ATPL subjects to apply to these legacy carriers? What if I already have a foreign ATPL? Any info?

Kenny
15th Mar 2022, 13:12
Is it a steadfast rule that one must complete Aus ATPL subjects to apply to these legacy carriers? What if I already have a foreign ATPL? Any info?

You’ll have to have a CASA ATPL.

Capt Fathom
15th Mar 2022, 21:18
You’ll have to have a CASA ATPL.

Or a Aus CPL plus Aus ATPL subjects.

krismiler
15th Mar 2022, 22:57
1989 would have been the last time pilots with foreign licences were considered. There are so many applicants with local tickets that they won't even look at someone who needs to do a conversion.

stillcallozhome
15th Mar 2022, 22:58
As stated, casa atpl required. All atpl subjects NOT required.

PoppaJo
16th Mar 2022, 00:54
What legacy are you thinking about? Perth or Darwin based?

Virgin has a long list they need to draw upon for the rest of this decade. Jetstar has generally only hired locals coming from certain turboprop operators. They have opened applications for externals and type rated crews for the first time the other week, however you have a hundred odd Tiger Airbus drivers on the sidelines to compete against. Pretty clear who they are targeting with that move. Qantas isn’t even worth mentioning.

The pathway into airlines is this country will still be the same for a while yet, locals, and GA or Cadet schemes.

Lookleft
16th Mar 2022, 06:40
Why would a "legacy" carrier process your application if you only had a foreign ATPL? Ask yourself would a legacy carrier from the UK, EU or the USA process an application from an Australian ATPL?

Skippy69
16th Mar 2022, 22:23
No what I meant was obviously a Casa ATPL, but one that was converted- so none of those 7 subjects on order to obtain.
ie- one has an American ATP and then converts to a CASA ATPL. can he/she apply without aus subjects?

Lookleft
16th Mar 2022, 22:47
I will give you a real life scenario that might answer your question. Currently at a certain Australian LCC there are quite a few pilots who did their cadetship in NZ and were granted an NZ CPL and had completed the NZ ATPL theory subjects. If they want to be granted an Aus ATPL they need to do a flight test and complete the Aus ATPL theory subjects. If however they go back to NZ and complete an NZ ATPL flight test they will be granted an NZ ATPL which could then be converted to an Aus ATPL without having to do the Aus ATPL theory subjects.

PPRuNeUser0184
16th Mar 2022, 23:53
A quick search on the Qantas website produced this.

Seems reasonably black and white to me. As long as you have the CASA ATPL you’re good to go. I know of plenty of pilots in QF who have converted their foreign ATPLs to CASA to get the job.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1260x2000/0a64ffc5_1011_4650_ac99_c63d64996dd2_86a7d09554b3dc0bad08dfe ebd052faa84195d2f.jpeg

Ollie Onion
17th Mar 2022, 00:09
I was offered a Job at Jetstar Australia in 2009 with only a JAR ATPL on the understanding I would convert the licence by my start date. Virgin at the time said if I had a converted CASA ATPL then I would also need to sit ALL ATPL subjects as they require passes in ALL Australian exams, QANTAS did not have that requirement and would accept a CASA ATPL based on a foreign licence.

Kenny
17th Mar 2022, 01:53
I was offered a Job at Jetstar Australia in 2009 with only a JAR ATPL on the understanding I would convert the licence by my start date. Virgin at the time said if I had a converted CASA ATPL then I would also need to sit ALL ATPL subjects as they require passes in ALL Australian exams, QANTAS did not have that requirement and would accept a CASA ATPL based on a foreign licence.

Which is odd because I started with Virgin in 2010 having converted my FAA ATP to a CASA ATPL. Although I had about 7000 hours and around 2000 PIC on CRJ’s, which might have made a difference.

Icarus2001
17th Mar 2022, 01:59
No what I meant was obviously a Casa ATPL, but one that was converted- so none of those 7 subjects on order to obtain.
ie- one has an American ATP and then converts to a CASA ATPL. can he/she apply without aus subjects? No problem if you HOLD a CASA ATPL. How you got it is of less interest.

Ollie Onion
17th Mar 2022, 03:59
Which is odd because I started with Virgin in 2010 having converted my FAA ATP to a CASA ATPL. Although I had about 7000 hours and around 2000 PIC on CRJ’s, which might have made a difference.
;-) Might have just been a nice way of telling me to piss off!

Kenny
17th Mar 2022, 14:02
;-) Might have just been a nice way of telling me to piss off!

Possibly but then they did you a favour. Other than the people, I’m glad I got out in 2015.