PDA

View Full Version : BCPL/IMC to JAR CPL(R)/IR

Gearupandorrf
21st Jan 2001, 18:00
Hi again- just some information I have from the CAA with regards to changing to a JAR CPL (R) from a BCPL/IMC and what happens to your hard- fought UK ATPL theory credits.

I got my BCPL/IMC just prior to the 30/6/2000 cutoff date and got my UK ATPL exams done just before that. I wanted to reduce the cost of my IR and found out that I could do the 43 hr JAR IR (instead of the much more costly CPL/IR Upgrade course), then convert at the end to the JAR CPL (R) by doing the 5 hours in a complex type. In essence this gives you (via the modular route) a Frozen JAA ATPL but on UK ATPL theory.

I emailed the CAA last November concerning the possibility of losing the ATPL theory if I tried to go the above route. Just for any other Ppruner in the same position- this is "verbatim" the response I got from the CAA in the mail:

"Dear Mr. .......,
Thank you for your email dated the 1/11/2000.

I can confirm that if you convert your current UK BCPL license to a JAA CPL/IR (restricted) license as per AIC 47/2000, your UK exams will be indefinitely valid providing you keep your Instrument Rating Certificate of test valid within a period of 7 years."

So there you have it...keep the IR valid for 7 years and you'll never have to look at those JAR ATPL's!!!!

Thought the info would be useful for someone in my position.

Cheers, Gearup

MJR
22nd Jan 2001, 13:00
Thats good news, do you know what the method and cost of converting a BCPL to JAR CPL is and is it necessary to do the JAR IR first.

cheers

MJR

The man formerly known as
22nd Jan 2001, 14:01
MJR,

The conversion of BCPL to JAR CPL(R) is in white 19.

It says 5 hours training in a complex type (eg arrow) plus a Licence proficiency check with a CPL Examiner. The test is not via the CAA, you arrange it with the examiner(I am being charged £155). The 5 hours does not need to be approved so any Arrow training is valid and the test is like the CPL test but without the Nav or instrument flying ( takeoff, steep turns 45degrees, emergencies, landing)

You also need a JAR class one medical and the CAA want £170 to convert your licence.

All in all a good deal to avoid the Jar CPL (£5000) and another CAA test (£550) and the JAR ATPL exams (another £3000)

The man formerly known as
22nd Jan 2001, 18:16
Just a thought Gear up and..

What happens with Perf A. It doesn't seem to exist in JAA. Does that mean we dodged it?
I've still got perf E.

Gearupandorrf
22nd Jan 2001, 18:20
Hi MJR, quoted rates are pretty accurate for the JAR CPL thing. On the IR, If you hold an IMC then the IR course comes down from 55 hours to 43 hours. I'm doing mine with Professional Air Training at Bournemouth in March hopefully, and cost is around 9 grand- ish. I think the order is to do the IR first, then do the 5 hrs in the complex type after that. It would be prudent to ask if the two could be done at the same time somehow.

PS: Is it cold over there?- It was 42 deg. celcius at home today! (Melbourne, Australia).

Gearupandorrf
22nd Jan 2001, 18:28
Hi, TMFKA,
No, if you want to fly at ATPL level, then Perf. A is still a must as far as I know (If all your ATPL exams were sat under the UK system).

I think the Perf. A cutoff date is 30th. June this year, and if you don't meet this then you will have to sit the equivalent JAR exam. As I understand, the JAR exam covers performance from all categories and as such is something you don't want to put yourself through if you don't have to. Get the Perf. A!

PS: What are the sitting dates for Perf. A this year????

TipTop
22nd Jan 2001, 18:34
If you have completed a Multi IR and wish to upgrade your BCPL to a JAR-FCL CPL(A)(Restricted), you do not need to do the 5 hours complex. You just need the PC with a CPL Examiner. They will waiver this requirement because of the hours flown on the IR course. A saving of at least 1500 quid.

Have fun with the IR......

watford
23rd Jan 2001, 02:47
Gearupandorrf - I think you may have misunderstood the IR requirement.

"keep the IR valid for 7 years and you'll never have to look at those JAR ATPL's!!!!"

It's not a case of keeping the IR valid for 7 years, it's a case of not letting it expire for more than 7 years. Have a look at JAR-FCL 1.495 on the JAA website.