PDA

View Full Version : Slow news day in Florida

Robbiee
12th Mar 2022, 17:36
https://youtu.be/9ZSDuTnUcbU

TowerDog
12th Mar 2022, 20:09
They may be on to something..:sad:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x685/da58ec76_2f74_405d_8c4a_5fc5616dfb0c_149f2325ea7e32098f64c35 93233bd5b9f4d5aab.jpeg

Robbiee
12th Mar 2022, 21:03
They may be on to something..:sad:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x685/da58ec76_2f74_405d_8c4a_5fc5616dfb0c_149f2325ea7e32098f64c35 93233bd5b9f4d5aab.jpeg

There's more to that page,...

(d) Helicopters – Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed In paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason: they have unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is their ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power-out emergencies. Furthermore, the
helicopter's increased use by law enforcement and emergency medical service agencies requires
added flexibility.

TowerDog
12th Mar 2022, 21:34

Yeah, I thought so. Never got no rotor wing tickets and have not studied no FAR Part 91s in years. :ooh:
This tour operator, and his pilot may not enjoy the being under the FAA microscope with videos all over the
news channels with wealthy condo owners complaining.

Nubian
13th Mar 2022, 08:12

yeah, there IS more.

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons (https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/index.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id=0dc5e415556e65322f1454c927515578&term_occur=999&term_src=Title:14:Chapter:I:Subchapter:F:Part:91:Subpart:B:S ubjgrp:4:91.119) or property on the surface.

Zombywoof
13th Mar 2022, 08:33
Slap on the wrist, don't do it again.

rudestuff
13th Mar 2022, 09:36
Christ I've done far worse than that. I was expecting to see something dangerous.

13th Mar 2022, 12:06
Practice engine failure, Go!

Perhaps they don't think an auto to a busy road between buildings and wires is an 'undue hazard' to people or property on the surface...........

Two's in
13th Mar 2022, 14:16
Helicopter operations may be conducted below the minimum altitudes set for fixed-wing aircraft. The reason: they have unique operating characteristics, the most important of which is their ability to execute pinpoint emergency landings during power-out emergencies.

Well, as long as that pinpoint emergency landing is to a piece of real estate that is currently somewhere between your toe-caps.

In this scenario, an engine failure resulting in an auto to a busy street is the best option available, if it's a control or drive failure, it's probably into a building. It demonstrates a complete lack of critical thinking about failure modes and escape routes while operating as a commercial pilot. Two streets over is Biscayne Bay, a large, warm and shallow body of water that is almost certainly survivable in the case of an emergency ditching. Why not fly at a height and profile where you could make it to the bay? The news clip says the pilot is "very experienced" and has done this operation for some time. Well that's OK then, I've never attended the funerals of any experienced pilots...

FH1100 Pilot
13th Mar 2022, 15:30
Yeah, I thought so. Never got no rotor wing tickets and have not studied no FAR Part 91s in years. :ooh:
So, umm...*why* are you posting here?

Robbiee
13th Mar 2022, 15:53
yeah, there IS more.

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons (https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/index.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id=0dc5e415556e65322f1454c927515578&term_occur=999&term_src=Title:14:Chapter:I:Subchapter:F:Part:91:Subpart:B:S ubjgrp:4:91.119) or property on the surface.

"Undue" being the key word here. Ignore it, and every single flight I've done (even the one's to 5,000' agl) in the past twenty years was a hazard to persons/property on the surface in the event of a power unit failure.

Without that word, its like having a law that states its illegal to drive a car anywhere at a speed that's a hazard to persons/property should a tire blow.

TowerDog
13th Mar 2022, 17:08
So, umm...*why* are you posting here?

Sorry, I forgot all about the license and currency requirements to post here, my bad.:cool:

Gordy
13th Mar 2022, 18:16
While we can all argue the pros and cons...the fact is that the public perception of what he is doing paints us in a bad light. There is no need for him to fly between the buildings to give a good tour. He is just not being the best ambassador for us all.

Robbiee
13th Mar 2022, 19:59
While we can all argue the pros and cons...the fact is that the public perception of what he is doing paints us in a bad light. There is no need for him to fly between the buildings to give a good tour. He is just not being the best ambassador for us all.

If I have to put up with the risk of "the public" crashing into my car because they were texting, or talking on their phone while driving, or had one too many glasses of wine for lunch at Olive Garden, they can put up with the risk of me flying past their million dollar highrises.

Besides, some members of "the public" were in the back seat, undoubtedly enjoying that ride. So, forgive me if I don't take this one-sided, media sensationalized, click bait, story, seriously.

megan
13th Mar 2022, 21:47
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons (https://www.law.cornell.edu/definitions/index.php?width=840&height=800&iframe=true&def_id=0dc5e415556e65322f1454c927515578&term_occur=999&term_src=Title:14:Chapter:I:Subchapter:F:Part:91:Subpart:B:S ubjgrp:4:91.119) or property on the surfaceI would have thought that right there would prevent flight over any built up area, if we were to have a strict interpretation.

FH1100 Pilot
13th Mar 2022, 22:34
Sorry, I forgot all about the license and currency requirements to post here, my bad.:cool:
Yes, your bad. While there are no license and currency "requirements" to post here, it's kind of in the description of the group itself in case you hadn't noticed (and apparently you had not): "A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them." Now, what about that passage is so hard to understand? *You* admit that you - 1) Are not a helicopter pilot and, 2) furthermore state that you haven't studied FAR Part 91 in "years." With that in mind, you come here and post an incomplete snippet of 91.119. And you get offended when someone (an actual helicopter pilot who actually *has* studied FAR 91 recently) calls you out on it? Many of the general FAR's that all pilots operate under have exemptions for helicopter operations. This here is a helicopter pilot forum. While we appreciate everyone's interest in helicopters, casual readers should leave posting about the subject to actual...you know...helicopter pilots.

And now you know.

RVDT
13th Mar 2022, 23:51
Fairly certain the Brickell area is inside KMIA airspace if over land. Miami Dade Aviation Department might be having a few suggestions regarding the "Fly Neighborly" policy?

Gordy
14th Mar 2022, 00:02
If I have to put up with the risk of "the public" crashing into my car because they were texting, or talking on their phone while driving, or had one too many glasses of wine for lunch at Olive Garden, they can put up with the risk of me flying past their million dollar highrises.

Besides, some members of "the public" were in the back seat, undoubtedly enjoying that ride. So, forgive me if I don't take this one-sided, media sensationalized, click bait, story, seriously.
Hate to say it---but with an attitude like that, YOU are part of the problem. Have you seen what is happening at Santa Monica, do you ever wonder why there are no approved landing sites in San Francisco except the airport, take a look at Long Beach and all the noise issue there---you can get banned after 3 noise violations? Take a look at what happened in New York and th Hamptons. We are now also fighting thee National Park Air Tour Management Plans. Have you heard of "Fly Neighborly"?

As an industry if we continue the way he/she did in that video, we will be shut down. Try being a bit more proactive--get involved on the positive side before we lose the airspace.

Here, I will help you out:

fly-neighborly (https://rotor.org/fly-neighborly/)

ATMP concerns (https://rotor.org/advocacy_resource/letter-to-faa-on-atmp-concerns/)

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectId=103175

Robbiee
14th Mar 2022, 00:13
Hate to say it---but with an attitude like that, YOU are part of the problem. Have you seen what is happening at Santa Monica, do you ever wonder why there are no approved landing sites in San Francisco except the airport, take a look at Long Beach and all the noise issue there---you can get banned after 3 noise violations? Take a look at what happened in New York and th Hamptons. We are now also fighting thee National Park Air Tour Management Plans. Have you heard of "Fly Neighborly"?

As an industry if we continue the way he/she did in that video, we will be shut down. Try being a bit more proactive--get involved on the positive side before we lose the airspace.

Here, I will help you out:

fly-neighborly (https://rotor.org/fly-neighborly/)

ATMP concerns (https://rotor.org/advocacy_resource/letter-to-faa-on-atmp-concerns/)

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectId=103175

Meh, if pilots aren't willing to stand up.for themselves, then let them lose that airspace. I'm tired of bending over for this double standard and hypocracy.

TowerDog
14th Mar 2022, 00:49
And you get offended when someone (an actual helicopter pilot who actually *has* studied FAR 91 recently) calls you out on it?

Uh...
Did I get offended?
Did I claim any expertise, did I get called out?
Chill, or quit the booze before you get in the attack mode. :=

Gordy
14th Mar 2022, 02:13
Meh, if pilots aren't willing to stand up.for themselves, then let them lose that airspace. I'm tired of bending over for this double standard and hypocracy.
Feel free to keep calling me out...when was the last time YOU stood up the industry and us pilots.....

I have been to Washington DC four times now and twice met with elected officials, (one of them being Kamala Harris), on the hill representing the helicopter industry against the noise complainers. We don't do it by making ourselves look bad by flying between buildings like that.

Clearly it was for nothing---you know what, I am almost retired on a sailboat now, maybe I will just walk away and let you all take our industry to the bottom. Enjoy your life.

Robbiee
14th Mar 2022, 03:44
Feel free to keep calling me out...when was the last time YOU stood up the industry and us pilots.....

I have been to Washington DC four times now and twice met with elected officials, (one of them being Kamala Harris), on the hill representing the helicopter industry against the noise complainers. We don't do it by making ourselves look bad by flying between buildings like that.

Clearly it was for nothing---you know what, I am almost retired on a sailboat now, maybe I will just walk away and let you all take our industry to the bottom. Enjoy your life.

Take it to the bottom? I thought it was already there?

B2N2
14th Mar 2022, 21:45
While we appreciate everyone's interest in helicopters, casual readers should leave posting about the subject to actual...you know...helicopter pilots.

And now you know.

Except you’re not.
By your own profile here you’re unemployed/semi retired.
When was the last time you held a valid medical?

Bksmithca
14th Mar 2022, 22:25
Yes, your bad. While there are no license and currency "requirements" to post here, it's kind of in the description of the group itself in case you hadn't noticed (and apparently you had not): "A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them." Now, what about that passage is so hard to understand? *You* admit that you - 1) Are not a helicopter pilot and, 2) furthermore state that you haven't studied FAR Part 91 in "years." With that in mind, you come here and post an incomplete snippet of 91.119. And you get offended when someone (an actual helicopter pilot who actually *has* studied FAR 91 recently) calls you out on it? Many of the general FAR's that all pilots operate under have exemptions for helicopter operations. This here is a helicopter pilot forum. While we appreciate everyone's interest in helicopters, casual readers should leave posting about the subject to actual...you know...helicopter pilots.

And now you know.
Interesting comments from someone who's Blogger.com profiles starts with " A nobody; a nitwit;" and your last post was about being an Uber Driver. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you may not agree with it but its their opinion. Given the world attitudes right now everyone needs to take a step back Breath and relax

B2N2
14th Mar 2022, 22:35
Interesting comments from someone who's Blogger.com profiles starts with " A nobody; a nitwit;" and your last post was about being an Uber Driver.

Cab driver, Uber is not a real cab.
Yeah, I wasn’t going to go that far lol.
Now that we’re shooting at a man going down in flames, there is an individual on the FAA Airman Registry with the same name that hasn’t held a medical in 10 years.
Note to self, if you live in a glass house don’t leave breadcrumbs to your doorstep…..:}

admikar
15th Mar 2022, 11:56
This forum really needs a popcorn smiley......this is getting interesting

TowerDog
15th Mar 2022, 19:10
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x870/9ab6a3b2_57d3_4847_bf65_2426bc673370_d064fe68cb92d4c3d755ef8 667f8e631af2ef095.jpeg
Interesting statement: "the fixed wing brethren cowering like little scared little girls in pilot lounges all across the nation"

Stereotyping much? :rolleyes:

Small penis syndrome perhaps, can't help with that, but be advised that some of us fixed wing brethren flew air taxi and air ambulance in bush Alaska, in marginal VFR and blizzards without sh!tting on the pilots that didn't.

albatross
15th Mar 2022, 19:33
Jeez!
Everybody play nice. This reads like a late night drunken argument in a bar.

TowerDog
15th Mar 2022, 20:05
Jeez!
Everybody play nice. This reads like a late night drunken argument in a bar.

Nah, almost sober and didn't start nothing, just defending the fixed wing pride after this wannabe Roto-Rambo threw insults
at us hard working plank drivers. :cool:

megan
16th Mar 2022, 05:53
TD, FH1100 is even handed, he throws mud at rotary wing drivers also.Small penis syndrome perhapsPerhaps it doesn't have one, not a reference to the fair sex either, who can often show the boys a thing or two in flight deck talent.

TowerDog
16th Mar 2022, 23:51
TD, FH1100 is even handed, he throws mud at rotary wing drivers also.Perhaps it doesn't have one, not a reference to the fair sex either, who can often show the boys a thing or two in flight deck talent.

No doubt Ms. Megan.:
I have flown with femmes who has more balls and more skills than me any day.
I married my Flight Instructor way back in the 80s.
Invited my family to the wedding in Alaska, told them I was going to marry a pilot who was also my instructor.
My dad was very diplomatic and curious: Is this an Eskimo, and if so, a female Eskimo? :sad:

B2N2
17th Mar 2022, 10:20
FH1100 is clearly male according to his blogs, maybe reminiscing the past a little too much.

FH1100 Pilot
17th Mar 2022, 15:43
Except you’re not.
By your own profile here you’re unemployed/semi retired.
When was the last time you held a valid medical?
Yeah, you're right. I guess the 35 years of flying helicopters for money means nothing and I know nothing now that I'm retired. Tell you what, though: It wasn't *me* who came on a helicopter forum and made a post saying that I'm not helicopter rated and haven't studied FAR 91 in "years" and then make a declarative statement about something a helicopter pilot did. I am a pretty self-aware nitwit (as someone else pointed out), but I'm not THAT much of a nitwit!

Let's see, who else can we quote?

Tower Dog:Small penis syndrome perhaps...

Megan:
Perhaps it doesn't have one...

BWAAAAAHAHAH, the small and/or lack of penis card! I knew someone was going to bring it up (and I had a pretty good idea who would). LOL, classic! And not surprising, as it is the standard go-to for the insecure person with no actual point to make. Now, from Megan we can understand the penis fascination, since most chicks are obsessed with not having one, as Megan obviously is. (She regularly gets her panties in a bunch over things posted here.) But from Tower Dog? I might have expected better. Then again, he(?) is an admitted fixed-wing driver so I guess I shouldn't expect anything but classless drivel.

And yeah, I'm an unapologetic (and apparently penis-less) Uber driver now. And yeah, it's not a "real" cab and it's not even a real job! I do it when I want and, more importantly, I don't do it when I *don't* want. Like today - I could be out "working" but I choose to spend/waste my time making dumb posts here. But in all seriousness, it's funny, and more than a little ironic...my whole life as a Part-135 pilot...that whole "pick people up here and drop them off there" crap has exactly prepared me for this gig. The only difference is that now I do it in a nice, comfy car, not a rattly, noisy helicopter. (Oh, the embarrassment and shame of not being a full-time pilot anymore.) You could say that Part-135 pilots are just glorified Uber drivers - HAH! And this ride-share thing is the most fun "job" I ever had (not the highest-paying job, although thankfully that's not an issue). I might remind all of you that one day, when you realize how many times these crazy contraptions have tried to kill you and how many close calls you've had with death, you too will be in a position of not wanting to fly helicopters anymore. Not that most of you could envision it now (except Gordy who is apparently also in the process of making the transition). I know that it sounds like treason and heresy to say this, but if I never fly another helicopter as long as I live, that'll be okay.

One other point: Unlike many of you kids (Gordy Cox and Pete Gillies being two of the very few exceptions), I actually put my real name and identity in my posts for you all to make fun of. I don't hide behind cutesy, deliberately anonymous screen names (e.g. "Tower Dog" or "Megan"). No one knows what most of you currently do in real life - and I don't want to know! However, I doubt that all of you who post here are current, working, commercial, helicopter pilots. Me, I started flying helicopters commercially in 1982 and stopped logging time when I got to 10,000 hours. Until three years ago, my final job was as a training and checkout pilot where I flew with current, certificated commercial pilots and therefore didn't need (or want) the hassle of getting an annual medical. Doesn't mean I wasn't flying. But I guess I'm just a has-been non-pilot now whose opinions mean less than some internet-anonymous person with the handle, "Tower Dog" (whatever that means).

Okay, so back to the point. Helicopter tour pilot flies a very questionable route in and around some high-rise buildings. Then, instigated by the local media, the public goes into an indignant, pearl-clutching, "That's gotta be illegal!" panic. Then some fixed-wing guy who obviously wants to show us what a big expert he is comes on a helicopter forum and makes some stupid post while admitting to not be a helicopter pilot and not having looked into Part 91 of the FARs in "years." When he gets called out on it, he makes some defensive, snippy comment about not knowing there were "requirements" for posting here (which there aren't, other than to not be stupid).

And I'm the bad guy.

What's wrong with some of you? I mean, really.

17th Mar 2022, 17:21
So your real name is FH1100 pilot??????:)

Nubian
17th Mar 2022, 18:25

I wonder how it is pronounced?!?

B2N2
17th Mar 2022, 19:34
my whole life as a Part-135 pilot

Except you’re not.
Not for the last 10 years at least.
FAA Airmen registry has your Second Class medical from 03/2012, that would be valid for Commercial operations till 03/13.
Nothing after that.
You got found out that’s all.
You don’t own this forum and neither do I, none of the sub fora are closed to non-pilots.
Yet you claim non-helicopter pilots can’t post here and only real pilots can and you are one and you’ve done this and you’ve done that and you’ve done such and such.
I’m a bit of a rotor hero really…..that’s what you’ve been saying.
Plenty abrasive in a lot of your postings.
I’m not disputing your experience, you’re just not honestly representing who and what you are and you got called out on it.

I started flying helicopters commercially in 1982 and stopped logging time when I got to 10,000 hours. Until three years ago, my final job was as a training and checkout pilot where I flew with current, certificated commercial pilots and therefore didn't need (or want) the hassle of getting an annual medical.

Training and checkout pilot?
Thats interesting as (again) the FAA website does not show you holding a Flight Instructor certificate.
Not ATP either which is required to train fellow company pilots.
So you’re telling us “a company” allowed you to train and do check outs without a medical and without an ATP? How did their insurance company feel about that?
Who did your training? Well he did (points finger) without a CFI or ATP….
How did you log this training? You do know the FAR’s require you log training right?
Do you need any help digging?

Robbiee
17th Mar 2022, 19:59
Gee, I was hoping for a heated debate over how reckless this 44 pilot is and/or how he's not and its just being blown out of proportion.

,...but dogpile on Bob is just as entertaining. :8

Bksmithca
17th Mar 2022, 20:08
So Crab is he fibbing here or on his ******** account because they have different names.
Nubian I'm thinking it's produced but putting your tongue between your lips and blowing air out, gives that farting sound.

megan
18th Mar 2022, 05:48
Now, from Megan we can understand the penis fascination, since most chicks are obsessed with not having one, as Megan obviously isYou got me nailed, the first chick the USN ever graduated from HT-8 at Ellyson Field, 19 March 1968..

Lonewolf_50
18th Mar 2022, 13:42
megan, should someone call up Captain Mariner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Bryant_Mariner) and let her know that she wasn't an historic first? :}
(Got to meet her a long time ago, she's a class act!)
She did have that fixed wing affliction of not being able to fly backwards (yes, the obligatory nod to Harrier pilots is now made).

TowerDog:
FH was right to call you out for popping off despite being blissfully ignorant.
Hopefully you now understand that aspect of rotary wing flying a bit better.
(Granted, the correction might have been taken too far, and the subsequent bun fight has done nobody any credit).

@Gordy: right you are.