PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL-H with EASA medical

Funck
6th Mar 2022, 15:20
Hi

Anyone have experience or know if it's possible to combine an FAA CPL with an EASA (or ICAO) medical, i.e. a non-FAA medical.

I am not planning to fly in the US, but want to use the FAA CPL as a base for validation in an ICAO country.

Say I come with my FAA CPL and an EASA medical. You think those combined could be a base for an ICAO validation in a 3rd country, or would I need both medical and cpl to be from the same state (FAA in this case)?

I'm asking since it would be a double hassle to keep an FAA CPL and medical current if I'm not residing in the states.
A bit off a grey area I'm sure but any input much appreciated.

212man
6th Mar 2022, 15:56
I am sure that the fundamental requirement for validating a foreign license is that you hold all the rights to exercise it’s privileges - which requires a valid medical from the issuing state. But, you shouldn’t need another medical from the validating state. May be wrong but that’s my experience.

Hot_LZ
6th Mar 2022, 15:56
Nice try but they have to be the same. There are no cheap shortcuts in aviation, especially where EASA are involved.

LZ

finalchecksplease
6th Mar 2022, 16:06
There are a couple AME's in Sweden (and also other countries outside the USA), that can do FAA medicals; do a search here:
https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Funck
6th Mar 2022, 18:29
Thanks for the input everyone. Will look into it.

Torquetalk
6th Mar 2022, 21:40
Hi

Anyone have experience or know if it's possible to combine an FAA CPL with an EASA (or ICAO) medical, i.e. a non-FAA medical.

I am not planning to fly in the US, but want to use the FAA CPL as a base for validation in an ICAO country.

Say I come with my FAA CPL and an EASA medical. You think those combined could be a base for an ICAO validation in a 3rd country, or would I need both medical and cpl to be from the same state (FAA in this case)?

I'm asking since it would be a double hassle to keep an FAA CPL and medical current if I'm not residing in the states.
A bit off a grey area I'm sure but any input much appreciated.

You may only exercise your licence privileges if the associated medical is valid. The validating authority is the FAA, so you need an FAA medical You can do both an EASA medical & FAA medical at the same time if the AME is qualified.,