PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing now?

Java
24th Aug 2002, 17:10
For all those guys and girls who put the hard slog in for years and through no fault of their own haven't made it in this tough industry of flying, What are you doing now? Be it time ran out and you haven't got the hours up and you feel you are getting too old, be it you qualified and after years of trying you couldn't get the breaks you needed, for whatever reason I just want to hear from people who have tried and are now not flying for a living. Maybe you can afford to keep it up as a hobby or are you working in another role in the aviation industry or did you walk away from it. What are you up to? Want to hear all views.

cheers

Java

Java
25th Aug 2002, 23:08
Doesn't anyone have anything to say, Anyone?

TwinNDB
25th Aug 2002, 23:34
I'll dig this post up in a couple of years if things dont go well :(

BUT...

Hopefully I wont need to :D

Outback Pilot
26th Aug 2002, 00:44
I have very carefully counted the cost before joining the aviation industry, and just went as far my private license and now fly just for a hobby, even though I have done all the CPL theory etc. Maybe one day I will get a commercial license if the need arises. If you fly for the fun of it, and look at flying objectively so you will not get your fingers burnt like so many others. (Commercial and ATPL pilots are a dime a dozen in Australia with no jobs) :eek: :eek: :eek:

You have to realise that training and flying schools along with aviation study areas like universities are not going to tell you how it is truthfully out there in the industry, otherwise they will go broke. :mad:

I have only come across one school who tells you up front that their “Commercial License training” does not give you a job when you have finished your training. ;)

This is what a good friend of mine who is a charter operator of a fleet of aircraft in Vic said, "when a commercial pilot has a thousand hours up, then they may get a look at a job and that is still no guarantee." ::p

Willie Nelson
26th Aug 2002, 02:40
I am still at it Java,

However, I have to say, I sometimes think that the figures on dropouts are exaggerated. Of those that I completed my training with, all have gone on to fly for a living in some capacity or other.

The least successful have gone on to do "meatdumping" and still get a kick out of that. The most successful have gone through G/A and landed a gig with QF, lucky boys!

I know it is not the answer you are after, however my hypothesis on what the others are doing now:

Anything but prooning around in the inner depths of this forum

Many of them, as was recently pointed out on another post were not self funded and are probably not too concerned about the thirty odd grand the "Old Chook" gave them for their 21st.

There is nothing quite as useless as a meaningless maxim

awetzel
26th Aug 2002, 03:08
Java, some land a good job, but more don’t, there are heaps of job less pilots around. There is no demand in the industry for pilots, making it more competitive for positions. :( There are more pilots trained than there are available jobs in the industry. You have to do your sums and you do not need to be a mathematician to work it out. Those in the industry are going to tell you it is all rosy, to keep their businesses a float if they are a flying school or training organisation. :mad:

You would have more of a chance at getting a pilots job in the RAAF. There where quite a few of the ex-Ansett pilots who went back to the RAAF.

Whatever you do, do not stop flying altogether, something may turn up. (Fly for the enjoyment) :D :D :D

Piper Arrow
27th Aug 2002, 04:27
Fly for the fun of it...........

Ultralights
27th Aug 2002, 05:01
done all up to Commercial, was about to begin cammand Instrument and ATPL, cost became to prohibitive, and now fly and OWN my own Ultralight aircraft, and do it purly for fun, i am only IN ultralights because of my hatred of CASA and all their wisdom, and for the unrivalled freedom ultralight flying gives you! and because i am Commercial licenced, i can still fly My Ultralight anywhere my Commercial licence will take me! :D much to the dislike of CASA and all you others out their still flying tinwings at 130Kts with 200 Hp, when i can do the same on 63 Hp! :D

Northern Chique
27th Aug 2002, 05:42
am ambo / student paramedic..... thoroughly enjoying my new life after 7 years of working in aviation... loved all bar a few limited minutes in my aviation career which took me through to twin turbine ifr charter...

not down, not out, but just a side step which has given me some more tremendous skills which auger well for not very far down the track... :D

never consider just because a pilot is not in jet rpt that is some sort of failure to achieve... far from it... it may simply be a different path that may well auger and mould him / her for the aviation employment opportunity of their dreams. For the meanwhile I am saving lives and making people more comfortable when life is not at risk but they need help.

Sure its a bit more than an advanced senior first aid certificate, but its reminded me that life is for living... so whatever it is you choose to do, give it 110%. The results can be astounding.

NOTAM
27th Aug 2002, 09:57
I have been instructing for a couple of years now, and yes at times I wish I was doing a charter run somewhere instead of briefing a student and getting an hours flying out of it. :( However, as bad as the pay and conditions may be, it still beats being stuck behind a desk doing paper work. I admire the guys who are grateful for any flying whether in a C150 or a B747, who just love being up in the air. I agree with Northern_chique's comment on giving whatever you are doing 110%.

I guess what you have to ask in the end is why are you flying? Is it to make money in the left hand seat of a 747 or purely because you have a passion for flying. It has had me thinking recently! :)

U2
27th Aug 2002, 11:59
Everything we do in life comes under passion/love , money(material), fulfillment and happiness. If flying gives you one or more of these then you have gained something from it. It is hard for something in life to give you all of these. Usually what you put in you get out.

confucius say......U2

notrouble
28th Aug 2002, 02:10
Hi java

Recieved a CPL in 1987, Instructors rating 1988. Multi-engine Instrument rating 1989, ATPL 1992. Worked in the industry up until 1992. Started again in 1998, gave it away last year. Reasons, bad employers, low pay, to much heartache, age.
I still love the actual flying, but hate the rest of the bull**** that is associated with commercial aviation.

CoodaShooda
28th Aug 2002, 06:10
Java
Started learning when a C172 was $16/hr dual. Gained PPL.
Could have self funded a CPL. Had an opportunity to train as aircrew with the RAAF too but.....
didn't like all the bull**** that notrouble refers to.

Pprune shows me that aviation bull**** is still the same as it was a quarter of a century ago. Nothing seems to have changed - particularly the aircraft!!

However, 25 years and several successful management careers later I now realise the bull**** is everywhere, not just in aviation.....and I now spend way too much time dreaming of what might have been, had I just............

Anyway, suffice to say that every occasional minute in the air is very precious to me these days.

Capt Vegemite
29th Aug 2002, 06:58
Getting my cork pulling technique polished to an artform.

I havent worn a watch since 1989.

I see my kids everyday.

I still have aviation nightmares(Wake up in a strange hotel room and cant find crewings phone number to find out what I'm supposed to be doing)

The Voice
30th Aug 2002, 12:14
and a damn fine chiquey babe ambo she is too!! she saved me from a bang on the nose ;) and made me all better, just for some other idiot to wreck it all later on!! :mad: Narcad is wonderful thing .. NOT. :(

Oh how I MISS my avyashun days ... I wanna go back to it all ... Hell, I'd even go back to AD again if they'd give me a headset! :D