PDA

View Full Version : The passing of an Australian gliding icon

cirrus32
28th Feb 2022, 03:49
From an email to GFA members

Dear Members,

It is with great sadness that I advise you of the death of Ingo Renner OAM, aged 81. Ingo passed away on Saturday 26th February following a long illness.

Ingo is truly an Australian gliding legend. Through his career he had amassed in excess of 36,000 hours, had won countless Australian and four world gliding championships. He had set many gliding records and had taught hundreds of people to fly. Ingo is arguably the most naturally gifted and generous glider pilot the world has ever seen. He was inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame in 1987.

Our condolences go out to Ingo's wife Judy, his family and countless friends. He will be sorely missed.

There will no doubt be an opportunity where we will all be able to share our thoughts and celebrate Ingo's life.

Vale Ingo Renner OAM.
Steve Pegler

President

Gliding Australia

blind pew
28th Feb 2022, 06:00
Remember reading of his achievements of soaring like an albatros years before model gliders were able to achieve such fantastic speeds. Incredible modern pioneer.

illusion
28th Feb 2022, 09:25
One of my earliest memories of Ingo was the documentary called "ZR, good start" about his exploits in the 1974 world gliding championships at Waikerie (corrected)

RIP.

Pinky the pilot
1st Mar 2022, 00:22
the 1974 world gliding championships at Benalla.

The '74 World Championships were at Waikerie.

Vale Ingo Renner OAM. Indeed.

aroa
1st Mar 2022, 21:47
When towing gliders in Tocumwal many moons ago, before doing some instructing I had the privilege of a check flight with Ingo.
He was indeed the ultimate soaring bird/man and it was a most instructive session.
If there is a hot scone in Heaven, he will be thermaling overhead.
Cu filled skies forever. FIP.

EXDAC
1st Mar 2022, 22:06
Ingo visited my neighborhood for the Hitachi Masters of Soaring Championship in 1987. Sorry to hear he is gone. Time to play "Running on Empty" again.