PDA

View Full Version : Hours building in the USA - Best use of time ???

BIG MISTER
12th Mar 2001, 21:43
Hi guys and girls

I'm off to Florida later this week for some fun in the sun and also some hours building.

I currently only have a minimum hour PPL and will be looking to increase my P1 to 100hrs.

Any suggestions as to the best use of my time ?

Also is there any point in getting a twin rate out there at the same time...or is this just a little too early in the game ?

Thanks ;0)

willbav8r
12th Mar 2001, 23:45
If you can afford it all, how about a Seaplane rating? Tailwheel endorsement? Complex singles, Multi etc. Got to beat just bashing around in a 152 for 50 hrs?

You may not keep them all current, but you will still get the hours out of it (but pay a bit more for the instruction and type)

My humble plan is to get as many types as possible into my 250 hrs before CPL stage (FAA). Might as well learn as much as possible and get as much difference into the logbook as you can.

Easier said than done I know, but I am fortunate enough to be taking the FAA route, therefore the difference in cost is not a crazy as you might think here in the USA.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Blue skies

HomerSimpson
12th Mar 2001, 23:56
BM, I believe that there is a minimum requirement of hours before you're allowed to start training for your Multi Rating. Best to check up on the JAR requirements.
However, I would be looking at building some quality time in the form of an IMC rating, navigation and cross country flying. That type of flying helps at the end of the day when you want to progess further up the ladder. You might end up with 200 hours in your log book, however, you might still feel you have many 'grey' areas when wishing to progress to CPL/IR standard...

Good Luck
Homer ;)

------------------
Duff, Duff, that Wonderful stuff. Ummmmm Doughnuts

little red train
12th Mar 2001, 23:57
Under the FAA rules, if you are appropratly rated for that Aircraft, you can log time as P1s, if you are under further instruction.

Go to the Orlando "FISDO" get your CAA licence converted to a FAA on the spot and free, YES CAA people INSTANTLY and FREE!!!

Then you can get instrument training and log it as P1s, This can only be done simulated IF, as long as you maintain the requirements for VMC, you are still able to act as PIC. Be aware for issue you need 50 X-Country, this is a distance greater than 50nm straight line between depature and destination. (not the extended downwinds in britain) but this can be done during IR training.

The instrument time is great experience, even if you don't get the IR,

A Multi is a must in the states, its soare so much cheaper it's worth it just practice for over hear, but its only Pu/t

Bashing holes in the sky really isn't to constructive, an instructor constantly pushing and giving advice is worth the extra money IMHO