PDA

View Full Version : Doing CPL without ME/IR

hid3
23rd Feb 2022, 12:58
Greetings everyone.

Currently I have done EASA ATPL theory exams, got a PPL(A), around 70 PIC hours on SE as well as about 140 total time, night rating, Class 1 medical along with ICAO level 5 English proficiency.. I'm in tough situation at the moment - I'm broke on money right now, and cannot afford picking up CPL/ME/IR/UPRT/MCC/JOC training right now. In addition to that the aviation market is totally frozen for non experienced pilots, meaning that I won't be able to get a job at an airline soon (it at all?! :ooh:).

What are my best options right now awaiting for the market rebound?

A tought came to mind of doing CPL alone, without ME/IR for now. Is this scenario possible under EASA? The reason I ask is that some part of CPL training (as well as skilltest) is being carried out on multi-engine aircraft, what leads me to a confusion if it's possible to train and pass examination on a plane for which you don't actually have a rating for...

Not sure that I'm gonna do with CPL alone, but I need to keep moving, in small steps forward. By the way, finding some weekend activities in local aeroclub is totally not an option for me, as general aviation is pretty much nonexistent in my country, except ultralights, which don't give me any benefit in terms of hours/experience.

Any input appreciated. Thanks

KT1988
23rd Feb 2022, 13:29
Well you can do CPL(A) with BIR and without IR/ME and you can do FI(A) rating with it even. But if you do not do IR/ME or any IR rating during 3 years from last passed ATPL(A) exam then you have to pass new exams.

rudestuff
23rd Feb 2022, 16:48
Get your IRR and CBIR. 40 hours total. Then get your CPL in a single. That'll save your exams and you'll be 6-8 weeks from everything you need for an airline job.

​​​​​​If you only get your CPL you'll be screwing yourself financially and time-wise.

hid3
23rd Feb 2022, 21:10
Correct me if I am wrong, but IR(R) is a UK-only thing. My license is not UK one...

rudestuff
24th Feb 2022, 00:59
Correct me if I am wrong, but IR(R) is a UK-only thing. My license is not UK one...
Then don't get it, just go for the 40 hour CBIR. Either way, you should try to get some kind of instrument rating whilst building your remaining hours, assuming you've picked up the requisite cross country hours.