PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Police gets B429s

rrekn
21st Feb 2022, 09:39
Congratulations to the team at Surf Life Saving Queensland on securing the renewal of their POLAIR contract.

https://www.mygc.com.au/new-helicopters-to-join-polair-fleet-base-moved-to-southport/

Can't wait to see them flying over my house (and hopefully hear them less!)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1176x604/qps_52332972076853c6525eb95020842dbe55c3924d.png

Phoinix
21st Feb 2022, 12:56
Nice...although the useful load will suck with all the equipment and the sound is not something to be looking forward to... although it was advertised as "The new main and tail rotor blades are designed with lower tip speed and swept tip to reduce noise levels" and "The tail rotor is made by stacking two, two-blade rotors set at uneven intervals (to form an X) for reduced noise"...imagine Bell not doing all that.

External sound levels-overflight, MTOM, ICAO annex 16:
H145: 85,7 dbA (9,1 under ICAO limit)
H135: 82,7 dbA (11,2 under ICAO limit)
B429: 89,6 dbA (0,4 under ICAO limit)
AW109: 88,40 dbA (5,6 under ICAO limit)

The press statement “It will improve range, efficiency, safety and overall capability .. and also reduce noise levels.” won't make it any better.

HeliHenri
21st Feb 2022, 13:22
It depends to what they come from, BO105 ?

Kulwin Park
22nd Feb 2022, 08:52
Since you mention the noise levels, what are other noise levels of known turbine helicopters, single and twin. Is there a chart somewhere?

Evil Twin
22nd Feb 2022, 10:06
429 is noisy, especially compared to the 135. I felt that the noise came more from the main rotor on the 429 as it's a much deeper sound compared to a tail rotor signature. Thinking of the profiles that QPOL operate the 135 would remain a better option, though they don't carry weight well.

Doors Off
22nd Feb 2022, 12:14
I truly wish them well. However, H145 would have been a much better platform for surveillance, policing, noise, insertion, endurance at mission load etc. The Bo’s with an upgraded cockpit are quite nice as well. At least with the 429 they haven’t gone stupid with S92/H225 “needs” like Danghanistan did.

PANews
22nd Feb 2022, 16:54
They launched an interim replacement for the two BO105 at that event on Monday and even had one of them in the background for the images taken [on Facebook and other Social media] and despite that being part of the reason for the press conference there was no mention of them at all!!!

For the next two years they will have two pre-owned 82,7 dbA EC135P2 as part of the lease deal. One delivered on Monday, the next in June. When the 429s arrive they will withdraw the 135s.

Blackhawk9
23rd Feb 2022, 06:52
Good choice ,great hot/high performance, same as NSW Police now and others are looking at 429 for EMS work , least they didn't go the Airpuss route , you can actually get parts and support from Bell !

23rd Feb 2022, 08:27
There was one HEMS 429 in Devizes UK that was grounded for a long while following an undemanded yaw - a crash was only prevented by the skill of the pilot. ISTR Bell were in denial about the problem.

admikar
23rd Feb 2022, 10:42
Good choice ,great hot/high performance, same as NSW Police now and others are looking at 429 for EMS work , least they didn't go the Airpuss route , you can actually get parts and support from Bell !
I thought Bell is handicaped due to its empty weight? Did Australia allow weight exemption?

Blackhawk9
23rd Feb 2022, 12:31
I thought Bell is handicaped due to its empty weight? Did Australia allow weight exemption?
Australia is one of the countries approving the 7500 Ib weight limit. I thinks its at around 20 countries now.

casper64
23rd Feb 2022, 14:20
Can't wait to see them flying over my house (and hopefully hear them less!)

Sorry to disappoint… a small loud tailrotor is what they got… not a fenestron. Once heard the difference in the Swiss alps between a 429 and 135…. 429’is MUCH louder….😬
But it looks good👍

John Eacott
24th Feb 2022, 02:16
They launched an interim replacement for the two BO105 at that event on Monday and even had one of them in the background for the images taken [on Facebook and other Social media] and despite that being part of the reason for the press conference there was no mention of them at all!!!

For the next two years they will have two pre-owned 82,7 dbA EC135P2 as part of the lease deal. One delivered on Monday, the next in June. When the 429s arrive they will withdraw the 135s.

There has been an EC135 at Carrara for the past 6-8 weeks, and it is significantly quieter than the Bo105 which will upset many of the scroats who can tell the CopperChopper at night, even with the lights off. Which they do all the time, fly with lights out that is, to try to get some gain over the impunity which certain elements of society have from prosecution. Under age, deprived backgrounds, all the usual.

Not convinced the 429 will be ideal, but then VicPol have three AW139s and who thought that would happen some 15-20 years ago!

Doors Off
24th Feb 2022, 10:42
Most modern helos have “great” hot/high performance however, load them up and the difference is obvious. Speaking of hot and high, where in Metro Brisbane/ Great Dividing Range in SE QLD is Hot/High? Strewth, even clapped out Jetrangers can operate in those climes. H145 (p.s the US Army uses them) and A169 outperform the Fatranger in every aspect. Let’s not forget the connections between purveyors of Rotary platforms and certain state Police “Forces”.

nowherespecial
24th Feb 2022, 15:48
That sounds like a terrible financing deal for the financiers. Any idea who would offer such a deal so I can ask them for free aircraft as well? :)