PDA

View Full Version : I can't download zip file from BALPA site

Propellerhead
24th Aug 2002, 14:12
I can't seem to download anything from the BALPA members area. Whenever I try, Acrobat reader opens, but I then get an error message saying 'error opening file - File does not begin with '%PDF'. The files appear to be zip files. Do I need to upgrade to a newer version of acrobat or something? Very frustrating!!

Nightrider
24th Aug 2002, 16:40
you may want to try first to un-zip the file. ZIP is actually a compressed file, packed for shorter download times.
After un-zipping (unpacking) try to open the now as PDF available file.

Propellerhead
25th Aug 2002, 09:17
ok, thanks, I think you're right.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to unzip it!! I've tried doing it in explorer (file manager), but I can't find a way of doing it. Help!

Nightrider
25th Aug 2002, 10:09
download WinZip here (http://download.com.com/3000-2250-8132587.html?tag=pop) , it is free to try...that is what you are going to do...

PaperTiger
25th Aug 2002, 17:23
Or WS_FTP lite, which is completely free.

Edited to say the above is completely irrelevant. Sorry.

The Nr Fairy
26th Aug 2002, 05:16
PT :

I'm not sure WS_FTP will help with the unzipping - it will help with downloading but that's not the original problem, it seems to me.

PaperTiger
26th Aug 2002, 05:32
Oops, quite right. Total brainfart :o
Only excuse was I had an FTP going at the time.

What I actually meant to say was my copy of WinZip (did I get it right this time ?) is still free, even though I downloaded it years ago. Tells me my 21-day period has expired, but fires up anyway when I click 'I Agree'.

Hope no-one in Redmond see this ;)

spannersatcx
30th Aug 2002, 19:46
Even easier would be if the authors made the zip files self extracting, people wouldn't have this problem then, it's only an extra click away!:(