PDA

View Full Version : AJIFFNIFF? All is now clear…

Lima Juliet
20th Feb 2022, 22:42
I always wondered what an ajiffniff is, now I know… :}
https://mobile.twitter.com/ex_owls/status/1491866801025785858

Corporal Clott
20th Feb 2022, 22:44
I see that a badge has already been made :ok: Very funny!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1502x1600/f40acfdc_a768_4b58_b1d2_341fd1049782_92ca52cd41af898c1344ccf 231ab0dc11240f2f3.jpeg

Bksmithca
21st Feb 2022, 03:47
Watched the video and still have no idea what AJIFFNIFF means.

alfred_the_great
21st Feb 2022, 07:06
Watched the video and still have no idea what AJIFFNIFF means.

CGS’ rather mangled pronunciation of “initiative”…

RAFEngO74to09
21st Feb 2022, 15:22
This has been a thing on Twitter for 11 days already - here are some of the best:

(1) ajiffniff - Twitter Search / Twitter

idle bystander
21st Feb 2022, 18:28
Great new concept. If the Pongos have got one, surely the Crabs need one as well.
(The fishheads have had theirs since Copenhagen in 1801)

Fortissimo
21st Feb 2022, 22:36
“Where is the Battle Group, Giles?

”We are not exactly sure, General. We ordered them off the start line at 0400 to get out there and seize the AJIFFNIFF as you suggested, but apparently it’s not on any of the maps and G5 can’t see it in the doctrine either.”

cynicalint
21st Feb 2022, 23:17
It does not matter how good he is as CGS, he will always be remembered for AJIFFNIFF!
A civil servant is traveling through Whitehall when it starts to rain. He decides to wait out the storm in the Red Lion. The only other person at the bar is an older man staring at his drink. After a few moments of silence the man turns to the civil servant and says in a military accent: "You see those houses? I procured those MQs with my own bare hands. I cut down every price and made the contract myself. I toiled away through the wind and cold, but do they call me Carleton-Smith the MQ builder? No." He continued "Do you see that Tank out there? I designed that tank with my own bare hands. I found every rivet and placed them just right through the metal and the steel, but do they call me Carleton-Smith the tank builder? No." "Do ya see that pier out there on the River Thames? I built that pier with my own bare hands, driving each piling deep into ground so that it would last a lifetime. Do they call me Carleton-Smith the pier builder, Royal Engineer par-excellence and Navy saviour ? No."

"But you f**k up the pronunciation of one word..."

RAFEngO74to09
22nd Feb 2022, 00:36
It does not matter how good he is as CGS, he will always be remembered for AJIFFNIFF!
A civil servant is traveling through Whitehall when it starts to rain. He decides to wait out the storm in the Red Lion. The only other person at the bar is an older man staring at his drink. After a few moments of silence the man turns to the civil servant and says in a military accent: "You see those houses? I procured those MQs with my own bare hands. I cut down every price and made the contract myself. I toiled away through the wind and cold, but do they call me Carleton-Smith the MQ builder? No." He continued "Do you see that Tank out there? I designed that tank with my own bare hands. I found every rivet and placed them just right through the metal and the steel, but do they call me Carleton-Smith the tank builder? No." "Do ya see that pier out there on the River Thames? I built that pier with my own bare hands, driving each piling deep into ground so that it would last a lifetime. Do they call me Carleton-Smith the pier builder, Royal Engineer par-excellence and Navy saviour ? No."

"But you f**k up the pronunciation of one word..."
Exactly - one of the military banter Twitter accounts summed up his career here:

Fill Your Boots (@MilitaryBanter) / Twitter

RAFEngO74to09
22nd Feb 2022, 00:44
Fill Your Boots (@MilitaryBanter) / Twitter

Old-Duffer
22nd Feb 2022, 05:58
With the greatest respect to the Army, the lower orders are not known for their cerebral acuity. I suggest that whilst many of the younger generation of officers are pretty sharp, the same cannot be said for some of the older people and in the infantry particularly, there still seems to be some mental strictures, which will impede progress.

The initiatives will most possibly cause issues with diversity, inclusivity and a few other 'ities', not to mention (which I now do) some of the wilder aspects of LGBT+.

CGS might be reminded that not everybody is encouraged in their thinking processes, to the same standard as the Hereford Hooligans and their chums lodging at St A.

It would be interesting to know what prior research CGS had undertaken.

But where did the title come from?

Old Duffer

trim it out
22nd Feb 2022, 07:20
CGS might be reminded that not everybody is encouraged in their thinking processes, to the same standard as the Hereford Hooligans
Accurate.

Free thought, or challenging behaviour, is stifled at some levels, in some corners of the Green Army. It's like the lessons of the Strategic Corporal have been parked and Mission Command is an essay title for the Wavell room.

"We've always done it that way" is still a common phrase, and it doesn't always mean best practice.

Rigga
22nd Feb 2022, 14:25
In a not too dis-similar 'forgotten word' event - 'we' were once asked by our OIC who the AOC was that was visiting on that special day...and when no-one was forthcoming he blurted out the memorable phrase "I'll bet that if I asked you to name the bloody crew of the Trumpton Fire Engine you'd all remember them?"

And, of course, he was absolutely right...and we did...

FantomZorbin
22nd Feb 2022, 15:22
Ah, Trumpton ... that was in the days of direction and leadership!

NutLoose
22nd Feb 2022, 15:51
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb.... Sorry, what was the question ;)

cynicalint
22nd Feb 2022, 20:59
What was the name of the 7th fireman?

(Capt Slack!)

typerated
10th Mar 2022, 07:47
I think the good general is missing a trick - He could put out a press release stating something like:

Military Personnel seize the Ajiffniff and find humour at every opportunity!

The British Military is the best in the world in many things and Humour is right up there!

It an honour to work with the best!

With one of the Memes attached.

langleybaston
10th Mar 2022, 14:22
What was the name of the 7th fireman?

(Capt Slack!)

Not old seaman Staines then?

P_ope
20th May 2022, 15:14
I will pay strong money for this patch hahahah

The Helpful Stacker
20th May 2022, 18:36
I will pay strong money for this patch hahahah

Best I can do is a t-shirt complete with "Ajiffniff" Brecon Point.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x2000/ajiffniffknifehandolivegreen_5000x_f212ab4d1ff5f3c59a4953c54 9f14d50f16d58fc.jpg

Melchett01
20th May 2022, 23:49
Accurate.

Free thought, or challenging behaviour, is stifled at some levels, in some corners of the Green Army. It's like the lessons of the Strategic Corporal have been parked and Mission Command is an essay title for the Wavell room.

"We've always done it that way" is still a common phrase, and it doesn't always mean best practice.

From what I’ve seen lately it’s not overly encouraged in the RAF either. Get to a senior enough rank and it’s all about saying the right things to the right people. Ajiffniff not required.

Ninthace
20th May 2022, 23:58
From what I’ve seen lately it’s not overly encouraged in the RAF either. Get to a senior enough rank and it’s all about saying the right things to the right people. Ajiffniff not required.
Not my experience.