PDA

View Full Version : Adhd and class 1 medical

Bigblob
19th Feb 2022, 07:20
Hello everyone, aspiring pilot here!

Just looking to book my class 1 medical with a DAME in my city (Melbourne) and had a question regarding a diagnosis of ADHD as a child. I was diagnosed around 20 years ago and no longer see a doctor for it, nor am I on any medication. Just curious if anyone would know if this would effects my chances of obtaining my class 1.
Sorry if this has been asked before I've searched through the forums but haven't found anything that answered my question. First time posted

Thanks fellow flyboys!

dns
19th Feb 2022, 15:33
Hello everyone, aspiring pilot here!

Just looking to book my class 1 medical with a DAME in my city (Melbourne) and had a question regarding a diagnosis of ADHD as a child. I was diagnosed around 20 years ago and no longer see a doctor for it, nor am I on any medication. Just curious if anyone would know if this would effects my chances of obtaining my class 1.
Sorry if this has been asked before I've searched through the forums but haven't found anything that answered my question. First time posted

Thanks fellow flyboys!

Did you get a formal diagnosis or a "possibility of being on the spectrum" (which a huge number of pilots are)

I had mentions of it on my record as a child, along with Asperger's, I was also medicated for it around 15-16 years old. Doctors suspected I was on the autistic spectrum, but never formally said yes or no, so the UK CAA weren't particularly fussed given my lack of difficulties in adult life (I'm now 39, was 38 when I first applied for class 1)

One of the things mentioned on the CAA guidance notes is that they don't expect people with full on ADHD to be able to get through the training anyway, so if you can they seem to take that as evidence that you're not badly enough affected for it to be a problem.