PDA

View Full Version : Working without SSN

FREQUENTFLYER1234
17th Feb 2022, 01:58
So I arrived in the USA today with my fresh marriage based green card in my passport, I’m obviously eager to get working and recently completed the ATP-CTP with A320 so I could hit the ground running once I arrived.

I’ve got 7000 hours with just over 3000 on Airbus and Boeing, I’ve applied to a few airlines through airlineapps and a few others including Atlas, Spirit, Southwest but can’t apply to Delta, United, Envoy, Mesa etc as the application needs a SSN to get past page 1.

As the officer at the airport informed me today, I am now a permanent resident and legally allowed to work, but without SSN in hand and no timeframe on its arrival (I’ve read 2 weeks to 6 months online) I’m not really sure where I stand with getting hired soon.

Does anyone have experience with this?

TIA

careerSO
17th Feb 2022, 09:51
I’m also curious - when I looked at the USCIS website it states it should take 7 days from filling to become a permanent resident until you should receive the SSN (that’s through an employment visa though).

Good luck, please do share how you get on with this.

B2N2
17th Feb 2022, 10:25
Without a SSN # you’re literally a ghost in this country.
Takes between 7-14 days.

Climb150
18th Feb 2022, 00:11
You only need to have proof of application to start work. I just put all 9's in my apps or 123 etc and explained on my application why I did that. Wasn't a problem.

sherburn2LA
18th Feb 2022, 01:09
1999 lowly H1B Visa. First day of work walk down the street to Social Security office. SSN in hand 15 minutes later
First free weekday time. Walk into the FSDO. 61.75 in hand 15 minutes later.

Can't beat progress

fuelsurvey
19th Feb 2022, 00:36
Might not hurt checking with Social Security if you can. The office in my area is closed due to Covid still.

When you get your green card they’re supposed to send the card automatically but that didn’t happen in my case. (2014) I had to go apply for one in person after waiting a few weeks.

alfaro
28th Feb 2022, 06:47
Nowadays you have to wait 14 days before going to SSA office ( make an appointment by phone), request it and you will receive it in your mail 2 weeks later .