PDA

View Full Version : White Phosphor NVG vs Green Phosphor NVG

Iefan
16th Feb 2022, 14:28
Hi

I understand that this seems to come down to personal preference, however from my research it looks like the industry is leaning towards white phosphor.

I 'm interested to know if this is also the general view of the forum....I would really appreciate it if you could indicate your personal preference.

Thanks for your time

Iefan

Devil 49
16th Feb 2022, 19:12
The little reporting I've read indicates the white tubes show more detail, higher contrast. Never used the white tubes.
Perhaps this site's article will help:The Latest in Night Eyes: White Phosphor NVGs (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2015-09-21/latest-night-eyes-white-phosphor-nvgs#:~:text=In%20addition%2C%20white%20phosphor%20has,is%20 much%20less%20eye%20strain.)by Anonymous (https://www.ainonline.com/user/0) - September 21, 2015, 8:16 AM

Sir Korsky
16th Feb 2022, 19:21
We transitioned to the whites, but use the older green spares when the whites go back for their inspections. I do miss them when they're gone.

PPRuNeUser0211
16th Feb 2022, 19:59
My take- it's personal preference when you compare like for like IITs with white/green, but historically people have been using green on older IITs, then looked at white using newer IITs as a potential replacement which leads them to believe white phos is "better", hence the good rep they have. I've used same gen white/green almost side by side, and I have a preference for the white phos, but I think it's as simple as that, just a preference tbh.

Vortexringshark
16th Feb 2022, 23:18
My take- it's personal preference when you compare like for like IITs with white/green, but historically people have been using green on older IITs, then looked at white using newer IITs as a potential replacement which leads them to believe white phos is "better", hence the good rep they have. I've used same gen white/green almost side by side, and I have a preference for the white phos, but I think it's as simple as that, just a preference tbh.

This matches my experience too. You need to compare like for like. From what I've seen green seems better in very low light conditions and white perform better in high cultural lighting areas. If I could choose I would have both and pick whichever suited the job. If I could have 1 then I'd probably go white as that's where most my work is.

casper64
17th Feb 2022, 12:28
yep.. fully right. Fly both of them of same generation even from same manufacturer and Quality is similar, pilots with grey receding hairlines might argue the white looks more “natural or familiar” as its similar to a black&white TV image…

Aucky
17th Feb 2022, 14:28
Is cost a factor? It may have changed now, but I seem to recall the white ones were also (surprisingly) cheaper than the green when they first came out, but that may vary by manufacturer/supplier.

My personal preference is the white over green.

gipsymagpie
18th Feb 2022, 08:51
I tested some white and green phosphur NVIS side-by-side at a trade show. The rest of the NVIS were identical (same generation, same tech etc).

The difference is all about what you're looking at. If you look at an urban scene, the picture looks better on the white phosphor as it seems "right". Looking at a jungle scene, the greens win but virtue of the scene again looking "right". There may be differences in how your eye reacts to the colours but green was chosen in the first place for good reason (centre of the eyes response to light frequency).

​​​​​The technology that really transforming using NVIS is not the colour but rather the rest of the goggle - tubes, battery location, stability, security and adjustment. If I had a choice the ANVIS 9 mount would win, but with auto-gating tubes - they are really next-level awesome. Being able to look at a bright light and see around it is definitively on my wishlist.

rrekn
18th Feb 2022, 09:07
Gentlemen.

As has been said, the Green and White provide the same resolution to the eye of the pilot. What it comes down to is the physiology of the eyeball. As you all know the eye has 2 kinds of receptors, rod and cones.

When looking at the green image your eye will only use the green cones cells.
When looking at the white image your eye will use all cone cells plus the rods.

The result: your brain will interpret the white image as clearer and more detailed.

Doors Off
18th Feb 2022, 13:04
Having grown up on green goggles & only transitioning to White 5 years ago, I’ll take White every night. Be it close to terra Firma and it’s associated obstacles, or flying normal night unaided profiles, I prefer the non Green.

Issues that I have had with the white is arriving into a coastal field (high humidity and salt spray) with the lights up, they bloom more than the green. I also had an episode of the leans on departure from a CA on a very, very bright moonlit night, which was surprising. Thank goodness for IF scans. I think it was the peripheral registering the real horizon and that it also was effectively black and white.

I would love white tubes on a TopOwl or such HMSD.

SikorskyShuffle
18th Feb 2022, 15:33
I'm fairly new to either, having only flown NVG's for the last two years. I flew green first, then switched companies and now fly whites. I think I actually prefer the greens, but I think that the whites that we have are of a higher quality, are taken better care of, and etc. Only a marginal preference, though. (I'd liken it to asking an Amish buggy driver "Do you want to drive the 10 year old Porsche or the 5 year old BMW?" Anything but the horse!)

I do find that I flew more with the greens down. Now, around city lights, I fly unaided a lot more as I find the whites to be a bit harsher. Still, over vast nothingness, I like having anything that helps my stupid human eyeballs see things that I thought weren't there.

20th Feb 2022, 02:46
Gentlemen.

As has been said, the Green and White provide the same resolution to the eye of the pilot. What it comes down to is the physiology of the eyeball. As you all know the eye has 2 kinds of receptors, rod and cones.

When looking at the green image your eye will only use the green cones cells.
When looking at the white image your eye will use all cone cells plus the rods.

The result: your brain will interpret the white image as clearer and more detailed. However, since the rods are not in the fovea and are used for peripheral vision only, that isn't much use as the fine detail of an image (the important bit) is processed by the cones and unless you have some very wide FOV goggles, you won't have any peripheral vision anyway.

helonorth
20th Feb 2022, 18:49
I haven't noticed any difference between the two. If there is a big difference in price, go with cheaper.

Iefan
24th Feb 2022, 09:43
Thank you very much for your inputs, exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards

Iefan