PDA

View Full Version : FAA medical vadility in EU zone (ATP)?

Andres Belgy
15th Feb 2022, 21:11
Hi,

First of all, sorry if this is not the correct place to post.

I have the following scenario:

I am a European citizen (Belgium). I am not able to obtain an initial EASA class 1 (monocular vision) however, I recently obtained my FAA Class 1 medical.

My goal is to obtain an ATP (probably FAA since I have an FAA medical)

Currently, I am exploring my options on how I should approach my training. I already found out obtaining a VISA in the U.S. is not something you'll easily do.
You can get an F-1 VISA and do your training/flight hours, but after that, your permit to work will eventually end so no guarantees there.

Now, I was wondering, do European pilots with an FAA license (and most importantly, that are only able to get an FAA medical) have an opportunity to work in Europe?
I saw posts mentioning 'ICAO, JAA,..' I am not exactly sure what the exact difference is, but if I understood correctly you can bring an EASA and FAA license under an 'ICAO' license?

To clarify, the real problem I have is not being able to obtain an EASA medical Class 1. But I think I would have no problems doing the theory programs etc...

Imagine an airline accepts an ICAO license, will I be able to work there with an FAA medical and not an EASA one? There are airliners out there in Europe flying with N-reg planes, I could work for those, right?

Are there any people in this forum that know people that had an issue like me?
I am aware my scenario is not common, that's why I have trouble finding accurate information regarding this subject.

TL;DR can you operate in Europe under FAA/EASA regulations when only being able to obtain an FAA Class 1 medical?

Thank you in advance for your helpful replies.

Kind Regards,
Andres

B2N2
21st Feb 2022, 21:33
You’re in a complicated situation.
My PM to you didn’t not go through.

Andres Belgy
22nd Feb 2022, 06:54
You’re in a complicated situation.
My PM to you didn’t not go through.
Hey, Apparently I can only have 1 message in my inbox, I cleared it.

You should be able to sent one now.
Thank you so much!

Sip477
10th Mar 2022, 15:34
Hi Andres,

I am also an European citizen (Belgium). My initial EASA Class 1 was denied and I received a Class 2.
I am also planning to go to the US for additional testing, so I'm kinda in the same situation. Would you like to have a conversation in private?

I was unable to message you, because your message box is full. If you click on my name you'll find you can contact me via email.

Kind regards,
Sip

FlyKathrine
7th Apr 2022, 17:14
Hi guys! I have the same problems in Italy, 1 class denied and 2 repeal. I have PPL and 170 hrs ATPL exams finished. I also have a 3 medical FAA (I've been in Florida for the time building). I guess if I can get my 1 class in another county easa or maybe can I convert faa medical in easa?
Thank you in advance for you're replies

Andres Belgy
20th Apr 2022, 21:47
Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

Sip477, I’ve sent you an email through outlook. Feel free to reply there.

Eventually, I obtained my FAA class 1 a few weeks ago with no special issuance, just “must wear corrective lenses”. Very good. So weird I can get a FAA Class 1 but can’t get an EASA Class 3. (Lol)

anyways, FlyKathrine If you want to fly under EASA regulations you WILL NEED a valid EASA medical.

It is not possible to convert your FAA medical to EASA medical and visa versa. If you want to do that you will have to undergo the medical tests that apply to your country and desired class.

If you got your EASA class 1 denied I am afraid you won’t be able to perform ATPL duties in Europe. Did you really do your ATPL exams while not obtaining a class 1 medical?

also, if Italy denied your medical, most likely, every other EASA country will deny it too.

if your dream is to fly ATPL I would suggest you to look for other authorities, like FAA.

you can apply for Class 1 there, do flight training and perform a job there. However, if you take this route you will most likely have to move to the U.S.

I am currently exploring my options in the U.S. Regarding worn permits etc..

hopefully this answer was helpful to you!

kind regards

redsnail
21st Apr 2022, 09:28
If you hold a professional licence in another jurisdiction, eg an FAA ATP, then if you want to get an EASA ATPL, the medical isn't an initial but a renewal (lapsed or something like that). Usually the medical standards aren't quite as strict. (They are still strict though)

rudestuff
22nd Apr 2022, 05:22
If you hold a professional licence in another jurisdiction, eg an FAA ATP, then if you want to get an EASA ATPL, the medical isn't an initial but a renewal (lapsed or something like that). Usually the medical standards aren't quite as strict. (They are still strict though)
I doubt very much you'll get out of an EASA initial!