PDA

View Full Version : Naked 3-Star

The B Word
13th Feb 2022, 23:32
I wondered why his Twitter feed had gone quiet! :cool:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10508959/Why-RAF-deputy-garden-without-clothes-on.html

In a witness statement, Mr Herbert recounted how he was working on a fence when his partner rang him and told him to look over into his neighbour's paddock. He claimed: 'I was about 30 metres from Andrew at this point and only had him in my view for a second or so long, enough to realise it was Andrew and he was naked.'

He said he was shocked and left 'wondering if there were any children in the area who may come across Andrew naked'.

He continued: 'Andrew was still in the same corner of his paddock and as I approached, I could see his face as he turned towards me and had a look of shock or surprise. I could see that Andrew was fully naked not even wearing shoes.'

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/943x1199/96f580fd_5e63_44eb_abcc_517b96c722e2_edb1463e276a8479ad0a143 221f55e18765577a7.jpeg

cynicalint
13th Feb 2022, 23:43
Storm in a teacup. Last paragraph in the DM.

A solicitor for Mr Turner said the claims were inaccurate and 'vexatious'. He emphasised that none of the allegations had been prosecuted despite the claims being 'the subject of a lengthy police investigation and review by CPS'.

Press out to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Hydromet
14th Feb 2022, 00:05
Any connection between any of Rotten Rupert's newspapers and the truth is purely accidental.

Finningley Boy
14th Feb 2022, 00:25
So what do we imagine occurred, the good Air Marshal thought he saw/heard an intruder in his Garden, said to his good lady, call the police I'm going to investigate, ran outside and....realized he didn't have his jammies on?!? I wonder if the person, persons, reporting this enquired at the time, excuse me, is everything alright? Can we help?

FB

Ascend Charlie
14th Feb 2022, 00:50
I thought it might have been The Other Andrew...

Mickj3
14th Feb 2022, 04:19
"No Shoes"!!! My word, standards have dropped.

Dunhovrin
14th Feb 2022, 07:09
A man out standing in his field.

SimonK
14th Feb 2022, 07:17
Hope this blows over quickly for him - genuine good guy and a great Squadron Boss too.

DuckDodgers
14th Feb 2022, 07:59
Complete nonstory and definitely not a service matter. This isn't the scandal you are looking for, move along.........

minigundiplomat
14th Feb 2022, 08:14
One of the best bosses I ever had. If AT wishes, I’m sure the Chinook Force could persuade Mr Herbert to get a life.

Barksdale Boy
14th Feb 2022, 08:24
Met him once - very nice chap. Ms BB was so charmed that she said he was the most personable man she'd met since Alan Whicker.

Evalu8ter
14th Feb 2022, 08:27
AT has led something of a charmed life until now, but, like many here, I like the guy and rate him as both a commander and a bloke to have a beer with. I guess this adverse publicity, regardless of the facts, will give Mayhew a clear run now at being the next CAS….

sharpend
14th Feb 2022, 08:35
Why was RAF deputy in garden without any clothes on? | Daily Mail Online (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10508959/Why-RAF-deputy-garden-without-clothes-on.html)

If true, how stupid. But I suspect there is some truth in this report.

OldnDaft
14th Feb 2022, 08:40
Hopefully this means Mayhew is next CAS. And hopefully some respite from the mad ideas club.....

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2022, 09:00
Is there any law requiring one to wear clothes in your own paddock? I think not.

As for snooping on your neighbours and voyeurism……

One of our (female) neighbours has been known to sunbathe naked. I was a bit surprised but made a point of averting my eyes…seriously, which is I think what any normal bloke would do.

So I suspect there might be more to this vexatious claim than meets the eye….so to speak.

Coincidentally, the TV presenter Kate Humble was being interviewed on Radio 2 this morning. She lives on a small farm and I recall her once saying how she likes to walk naked around her fields. No Sun scandal there, though. Presumably because she has no vexatious neighbours.

NutLoose
14th Feb 2022, 09:09
Well if true, that's a total c*ck up by him.

All he needs to say is he was wearing flesh / light coloured shorts.

Dunhovrin
14th Feb 2022, 09:09
Why was RAF deputy in garden without any clothes on? | Daily Mail Online (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10508959/Why-RAF-deputy-garden-without-clothes-on.html)

If true, how stupid. But I suspect there is some truth in this report.

The one thing there wasn’t was a coverup!

pasta
14th Feb 2022, 09:11
Does this publication that's trying to create a scandal out of a 54-year-old bloke exposing himself in his own garden still publish pictures of young women exposing themselves on its own pages?

sitigeltfel
14th Feb 2022, 09:34
To be reduced in rank to Bare Vice Marshal?

(I'll get me coat!)

Lima Juliet
14th Feb 2022, 09:51
Reading the various articles this morning then it appears to have happened last August 2021. It also states that he is believed to have been served a community resolution order - which allegedly required him to make an apology. That Order is given under caution to which you can contest in Court - however, I’m guessing that his legal advice told him to take the caution, by doing so admit his guilt. It is also a bit naive to think that people won’t notice you wandering around without a stitch on when the pictures of his £1.5m Grade 2 cottage shows it has only estate railings and sparse trees around the garden and paddocks.

I also echo what a nice chap he is, but he has had been in and around some proper howlers under his leadership too. Remember the RAF Roundel bikini within the crappy RAF Clothing Collection, also the RAF Spirit of Adventure disaster or being in and around UK MFTS - all of which have been dissected previously on this forum. He has also been front and centre pushing the ASTRA thing, which also seems to be having a difficult birth!

However, it is a real shame that this latest event will likely be what he is remembered for. I hope he finds a path out of this in retirement.

MPN11
14th Feb 2022, 09:52
Given his Rotary background, I suppose neighbours seeing a chopper in his garden would be half-expected.

(Hat, Coat etc.)

Trinity 09L
14th Feb 2022, 10:07
Neighbours quote “I no longer feel comfortable when I come outside”, (hat, coat etc 🚀)

langleybaston
14th Feb 2022, 11:31
just popping out to his tool shed?

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2022, 11:31
I also echo what a nice chap he is, but he has had been in and around some proper howlers under his leadership too. Remember the RAF Roundel bikini within the crappy RAF Clothing Collection, also the RAF Spirit of Adventure disaster or being in and around UK MFTS - all of which have been dissected previously on this forum. He has also been front and centre pushing the ASTRA thing, which also seems to be having a difficult birth!

Having a kick while he's down, eh?

newt
14th Feb 2022, 11:54
Surely it’s not as bad as streaking through the Mess on a ladies guest night!😂😂😂😂

NutLoose
14th Feb 2022, 11:57
He should have stuck his three stars over his bits like they do on censored photo's.

Jackonicko
14th Feb 2022, 12:12
Hopefully this means Mayhew is next CAS. And hopefully some respite from the mad ideas club.....

Was Rich Knighton with him, then, equally naked? I didn't read that, if he was.....

Don't get me wrong, I think Mayhew would be epic as CAS, but don't think he's necessarily a 'shoo-in'.

OldnDaft
14th Feb 2022, 12:23
Was Rich Knighton with him, then, equally naked? I didn't read that, if he was.....

Don't get me wrong, I think Mayhew would be epic as CAS, but don't think he's necessarily a 'shoo-in'.

Perhaps it will be like the Downing Street revelations......more info each day! Fair point though

langleybaston
14th Feb 2022, 12:59
As it was summer there was no chance of his assets being frozen.

Finningley Boy
14th Feb 2022, 13:03
I take it Cressida Dick won't be investigating. Off her patch!

FB

sangiovese.
14th Feb 2022, 13:31
With what’s going on in the world besides giving us amusing naked jokes this really is a non story. Unless he wore brown shoes after 6pm. Or HKLP. That would be positively offensive.

Hueymeister
14th Feb 2022, 14:24
Wasn't this also his doing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiR9mg-zE74

sandiego89
14th Feb 2022, 14:34

Just a nice demonstration of the soft field braking technique! (minute 2;37)

Hueymeister
14th Feb 2022, 14:40
There has to be more to this...maybe Andy and his neighbour were having a neighbourly tiff..

the neighbour...
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/16205077.kennel-owner-fined-dog-died-two-pooches-escaped-care/

Union Jack
14th Feb 2022, 15:10
I couldn't help noticing that the OP's moniker and location appear reasonably appropriate in the circumstances, but part of the online Sun's headline suggesting that the officer in question had been "suspended and probed by cops" seems distinctly below the belt.

Jack

Stuart Sutcliffe
14th Feb 2022, 17:25
He only has to say it wasn't him in the paddock, because he was at Pizza Express in Woking at the time, not sweating, and all will be fine! :E

Blue Bottle
14th Feb 2022, 17:25
lets see if he says it was hot and he only just nipped out for a second. What a stupid thing to do with a 18 Year old neighbour...

fitliker
14th Feb 2022, 18:03
The police told me it is perfectly legal for me to walk around my house naked , I just have to be indoors when I do it :)

MPN11
14th Feb 2022, 18:09
lets see if he says it was hot and he only just nipped out for a second. What a stupid thing to do with a 15 Year old neighbour...Minor adjustment …

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2022, 18:29
I think we should turn the other cheek.

NutLoose
14th Feb 2022, 21:53
Willie or won’t he retire?

Lima Juliet
15th Feb 2022, 01:26
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1053x674/d7d0ed78_1222_4755_9ea9_8d06a5f87d34_24f6a12655ea313252ee9d0 b8becb5a40eafcd78.jpeg

gipsymagpie
15th Feb 2022, 06:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiR9mg-zE74
No, definitely not AT. I remember it as a certain legendary instructor.

9BIT
15th Feb 2022, 11:07
Huey - AT was the OC, but it was the great Polo Moustacheless flying or ploughing on that day.

NutLoose
15th Feb 2022, 11:43
RAF deputy chief suspended after 'flashing neighbours from his garden' (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/raf-deputy-chief-suspended-after-flashing-neighbours-from-his-garden/ar-AATPC9r?ocid=winp1taskbar)

The RAF’s deputy chief (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/02/10/brazil-defends-falkland-islands-stopovers-royal-air-force-argentina/) who was suspended over flashing in his garden claimed he had been bending over to pick up a tennis ball.

Air Marshal Andrew Turner, 54, wrote to his next door neighbours last week apologising for an incident that he said caused “absolutely unintentional upset”.

The neighbour, Simon Herbert, 54, told The Telegraph that he had spoken to Thames Valley Police officers about the incident and they explained that Air Marshal Turner had admitted being naked in his garden in Cane End, Oxfordshire and would be giving them an apology. No charges were brought against him.

Mr Herbert added: “In his statement he admitted being naked in his garden and claimed he had been bending down to pick up a tennis ball.

“From the time this has happened all we wanted to know is why? Why did he do this?”

Mr Herbert, who keeps a number of animals on his land as part of an activity centre for children called Summer Barn, said he believed the fact his “house has changed completely” since he moved in was the cause of Air Marshal Turner’s behaviour.

He said he had been unhappy when he applied to build an extension on his property four years ago and suggested he had walked around his garden naked “as a show of power”.

Mr Herbert added: “He has never really moaned about the animals we have on our property, we are just at a loss but this is the only thing we can think that would have caused an issue.”

He claimed Air Marshal Turner exited his gate and walked across a shared gravel path “with no clothes on and no shoes on”, and then went onto crouch behind an oak tree.

“I freaked out and I jumped up and said 'what are you doing'? He just stood up and walked back towards his house like a robot,” Mr Herbert added.

He then said Air Marshal Turner bent down and flashed his bottom at him.

Air Marshal Turner, a former special forces commander, who is one of just two air marshals, standing in rank just below Air Chief Marshal Sir Mike Wigston, has since been suspended from the force.

An RAF source told the Telegraph that “discussions were being held” over Air Marshal Turner’s future within the military.

They questioned whether it was “appropriate behaviour from someone in the military”.

Mr Herbert insisted that he and his wife were not after financial reward and said they wanted Air Marshal Turner to give them a proper apology and face some sort of punishment.

He said: “I asked him if he thought what he had just done was acceptable and he just went 'No comment'.”

Mr Herbert said that his partner, Leslie Stevens, 52, and her 18-year-old daughter had been made to feel “really upset” by the incident and had been initially concerned for his neighbour’s wellbeing.

A solicitor for Air Marshal Turner said the claims were inaccurate and “vexatious”.

An RAF spokesman (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/03/raf-scramble-typhoon-second-day-response-aircraft-approaching/) said: “We are aware of a matter involving a RAF Officer, which has been subject to a police investigation. The officer has been suspended from duty without prejudice.”

NutLoose
15th Feb 2022, 13:27
They’re all at it, sigh, so much for Officer and gentlemen..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/royal-navy-officer-shared-secret-video-of-himself-and-colleague-having-sex-on-snapchat/ar-AATPYVB?cvid=f845b1bc1fb54282e092b4c20bcb01d7

A Royal Navy officer has been convicted of secretly filming himself having sex with a colleague and uploading it to Snapchat (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/30/half-women-sexually-harassed-strangers-online/) to “prove something happened” after being told that she was “out of his league”.

MPN11
15th Feb 2022, 14:32
Sadly, "Willy" has the combined powers of Darth Vader and Emperor Mong to divert the human male* from the paths of common sense.

* Other genders also exist

Two's in
15th Feb 2022, 17:06
I'm torn on this one, the blatant stupidity of finding yourself in this position (naked) is fully countered by the contradictory prurient and puritanical nature of the gutter press coverage given here. Also the hypocritical (British?) attitude towards nudity - it's fine on the Costa Del Sol for under-21 females, but not for a male in his 50's in Oxfordshire. If only The Sun could decide whether nudity was rotting the very fabric of our society (male) or was simply an innocent and enjoyable look at the wonders of nature (female under 21). If they want perversion, filth and sexual exploitation they should start looking in Wapping, not Oxfordshire.

Visitation
15th Feb 2022, 17:31
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/526x526/1644328886658_a948cf51c42d60ef7887270cfea50d657ed96136.png
Getting old can have consequences.

langleybaston
15th Feb 2022, 17:42
I'm torn on this one, the blatant stupidity of finding yourself in this position (naked) is fully countered by the contradictory prurient and puritanical nature of the gutter press coverage given here. Also the hypocritical (British?) attitude towards nudity - it's fine on the Costa Del Sol for under-21 females, but not for a male in his 50's in Oxfordshire. If only The Sun could decide whether nudity was rotting the very fabric of our society (male) or was simply an innocent and enjoyable look at the wonders of nature (female under 21). If they want perversion, filth and sexual exploitation they should start looking in Wapping, not Oxfordshire.

To be fair, only some are wapping, as in littlehampton.

MPN11
15th Feb 2022, 17:50
Do the French have this sort of alliterationk problem in Brest?

mopardave
15th Feb 2022, 18:01
There all at it, sigh, so much for Officer and gentlemen..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/royal-navy-officer-shared-secret-video-of-himself-and-colleague-having-sex-on-snapchat/ar-AATPYVB?cvid=f845b1bc1fb54282e092b4c20bcb01d7
Quite right Nutty.........what a pillock! He's no gentleman, that's for sure!!

Hydromet
15th Feb 2022, 20:33
A woman in our suburb complained to the police that her neighbour was wandering around naked in his garden. The police duly arrived and formed the opinion that he couldn't be seen because of a high fence and trees.
"Well constable, you can see him if you stand on the table and lean out of the window."

Boom tish.

Herod
15th Feb 2022, 20:40
They’re all at it, sigh, so much for Officer and gentlemen..

Too true Nutty, We all know that it takes merely an Act of Parliament to make one an officer, but it takes the (much rarer) Act of God to make one a gentleman.

Stratnumberone
15th Feb 2022, 21:22
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/526x526/1644328886658_a948cf51c42d60ef7887270cfea50d657ed96136.png
Getting old can have consequences.

I see that this bloke is wearing shoes and socks.

PlasticCabDriver
16th Feb 2022, 08:47
Sadly, "Willy" has the combined powers of Darth Vader and Emperor Mong to divert the human male* from the paths of common sense.

* Other genders also exist

1400 pages of Emperor Mong stories on Arsse…

The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements (https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-emperor-mongs-pronouncements.72507/)

Cornish Jack
16th Feb 2022, 09:21
Two's in - thank you - good sense and reason prevail. :D
Yet another conftrmation of the old saw "High walls good neighbours make !"

ShyTorque
16th Feb 2022, 10:08
We live on a private cul de sac. We have neighbours opposite who have made all sorts of petty complaints against us. For example, they are “disgusted” that we have too many cars here (all our cars are parked on our private property). They complain if water runs off our drive into the road when my son washes his car, claiming that it makes the road slippery. They complained that over the Christmas period delivery vans used OUR driveway to turn around, even though the deliveries aren’t coming here and they live further down the road, so these vehicles don’t even go as far down as their frontage. I’ve also been accused of “being very noisy” although I’m known by everyone else as a very quietly spoken person and when I asked her what she meant by this she couldn’t give an example. The man of the house exhibits strange behaviour, such as coming out his house wearing a mask and pretending to polish his car if we are in our front garden. Recently he has been wearing a face mask, sitting in his car with the engine running, the doors open and with the radio blaring out at must be close to full volume. There’s no way I’d let him see my bum! :p

langleybaston
16th Feb 2022, 11:01
A pipes and drums CD is a good countermeasure. One understands that massed bums are available as an optional extra.

Thud_and_Blunder
16th Feb 2022, 11:41
This thread has produced some gems. Full disclosure - I taught AT and another just-left-NI pilot on the same Chinook course and they couldn't have been more different. AT always fully-prep'd, on time and ready to go; flew beautifully, worked with the crew to get the best out of the aircraft - exemplary. Not surprised he went far, fast.

Shy, I really don't envy you your 'issues' with the neighbour - one of those continuing nightmares that you read about and hope never happens to you.

Mainly, though, my thanks to PCD for the link to the Emperor Mong dits - you could've put the standard "don't have a mug of coffee in your hand" caveat in your post. I've also just noticed your contribution to another thread there - I hadn't realised that we've just lost the Republican Party Reptile. What a very sad day - loved reading virtually anything he wrote, even if I didn't agree with all (any?) of his politics. A great loss.

MPN11
16th Feb 2022, 13:00
1400 pages of Emperor Mong stories on Arsse…

The Emperor Mongs Pronouncements (https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-emperor-mongs-pronouncements.72507/)
Thanks for providing the link to AARSE. I had been on there for so many years (different ID) and typed that without thinking it wouldn’t be common knowledge amongst the more refined characters here.

I must have another look and see if I had contributed!

Q-SKI
16th Feb 2022, 15:45
We live on a private cul de sac. We have neighbours opposite who have made all sorts of petty complaints against us. For example, they are “disgusted” that we have too many cars here (all our cars are parked on our private property). They complain if water runs off our drive into the road when my son washes his car, claiming that it makes the road slippery. They complained that over the Christmas period delivery vans used OUR driveway to turn around, even though the deliveries aren’t coming here and they live further down the road, so these vehicles don’t even go as far down as their frontage. I’ve also been accused of “being very noisy” although I’m known by everyone else as a very quietly spoken person and when I asked her what she meant by this she couldn’t give an example. The man of the house exhibits strange behaviour, such as coming out his house wearing a mask and pretending to polish his car if we are in our front garden. Recently he has been wearing a face mask, sitting in his car with the engine running, the doors open and with the radio blaring out at must be close to full volume. There’s no way I’d let him see my bum! :p

Perhaps your neighbour requires a visit from some crewmen………

Two's in
16th Feb 2022, 16:22
A pipes and drums CD is a good countermeasure. One understands that massed bums are available as an optional extra.

Remember, the definition of a true gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

Jackjones1
16th Feb 2022, 16:25
I always thought that the definition of a gentleman was he always took the weight on his elbows .... & the definition of a lady was that she always said thank you afterwards 😜

teeteringhead
16th Feb 2022, 16:39
always thought that the definition of a gentleman was he always took the weight on his elbows .....and always gets out of the bath to pee.

Herod
16th Feb 2022, 16:48
and always gets out of the bath to pee. Nah, it keeps the water warm :ok:

ShyTorque
16th Feb 2022, 18:08
Perhaps your neighbour requires a visit from some crewmen………

Better not arrive by car, turn around in my driveway, wet the road or make any noise though. I’d hate to upset the silly old fools! :cool:

langleybaston
16th Feb 2022, 19:23
Nah, it keeps the water warm :ok:

Understood, but what about breaking wind?

1,2,3,4 ............ a definition of a puff adder.

Dunhovrin
16th Feb 2022, 19:51
I always thought that the definition of a gentleman was he always took the weight on his elbows .... & the definition of a lady was that she always said thank you afterwards 😜
Since we've mentioned PJ O'Rourke already:

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life"

Thud and Blunder I taught AT and another just-left-NI pilot on the same Chinook course and they couldn't have been more different. AT always fully-prep'd, on time and ready to go; flew beautifully, worked with the crew to get the best out of the aircraft - exemplary. Not surprised he went far, fast.

I think we must have overlapped at 240, I taught him when he later came back to the Puma for a short while and it was obvious then that he was well aware of his destiny.

ex82watcher
16th Feb 2022, 20:05
[QUOTE=langleybaston;11185276]Understood, but what about breaking wind?

I always wondered what inspired the inventor of the jacuzzi !

ratpackgreenslug
16th Feb 2022, 20:13
.....They’re all at it, sigh, so much for Officer and gentlemen.....

I'm sure you'd know Nutty, although stones and glass houses comes to mind.

If he had only (instead of ceremonially parading minus kit) carved naughty bits from soap and presented his execrable artworks to female coworkers for giggles, grins and high-jinks Xmas frolics. Oh how everyone would have laughed. Or perhaps not.

Old-Duffer
17th Feb 2022, 05:42
"The Barren Rocks of Aden" is my favourite tune on the pipes.

I bought a copy of the "Green Leader" tape, which is the cockpit voice recorder of a Rhodesian Canberra attacking the Westlands Farm terrorist camp in Zambia. The attack leader (Chris Dixon) gets to the point where the bombs have come off and his exclamation is: 'Look at the F*&^%$rs run'. I was playing this whilst washing my car and at - what I might call (in another setting) 'the moment critique' a rather old fashioned spinster lady passed my front gate. She never did speak to me again!
Old Duffer

NutLoose
17th Feb 2022, 11:46
.....They’re all at it, sigh, so much for Officer and gentlemen.....

I'm sure you'd know Nutty, although stones and glass houses comes to mind.

If he had only (instead of ceremonially parading minus kit) carved naughty bits from soap and presented his execrable artworks to female coworkers for giggles, grins and high-jinks Xmas frolics. Oh how everyone would have laughed. Or perhaps not.

If you cannot see the difference between that and posting naked film of some young lady having sex without permission on the web for all to see including possibly her parents one must feel sorry for you.

Union Jack
17th Feb 2022, 15:12
"The Barren Rocks of Aden" is my favourite tune on the pipes.

I bought a copy of the "Green Leader" tape, which is the cockpit voice recorder of a Rhodesian Canberra attacking the Westlands Farm terrorist camp in Zambia. The attack leader (Chris Dixon) gets to the point where the bombs have come off and his exclamation is: 'Look at the F*&^%$rs run'. I was playing this whilst washing my car and at - what I might call (in another setting) 'the moment critique' a rather old fashioned spinster lady passed my front gate. She never did speak to me again!
Old Duffer

In which case, and noting the cheeky increase in thread drift, I trust that neither of these links will cause any offence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUx8ntCzo-w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1NRLFso6Q

Jack

Herod
17th Feb 2022, 21:05
My contribution "Entry into Crater" by the Argyle and Sutherland. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=entry+into+crater&docid=608005908623807073&mid=7951264094766F29E4FE7951264094766F29E4FE&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

langleybaston
18th Feb 2022, 10:31
Argyll please, unlike the football team.

brakedwell
18th Feb 2022, 13:48
My contribution "Entry into Crater" by the Argyle and Sutherland. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=entry+into+crater&docid=608005908623807073&mid=7951264094766F29E4FE7951264094766F29E4FE&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
There used to be a very good book shop in Crater, until it was too dangerous to visit it!

Herod
18th Feb 2022, 15:24
Sorry, Langley; you are of course right. Careless of me.

NutLoose
18th Feb 2022, 16:27
Understood, but what about breaking wind?

1,2,3,4 ............ a definition of a puff adder.

Poor mans Jacuzzi

Corporal Clott
17th Mar 2022, 07:19
I see that he has resigned. Now the big question is, who will replace him?

llamaman
17th Mar 2022, 08:30
Where was that announced?

SimonK
17th Mar 2022, 08:41

That's a shame if true. Best of luck to you AT for the future - can't keep a good man down and all that,

Finningley Boy
17th Mar 2022, 15:04
This reminds me of Sir Peter Harding's resignation in 1994.

FB

alfred_the_great
17th Mar 2022, 16:09
Where was that announced?
a brief (2 sentence) notification on the front page of the defence intranet.

The B Word
17th Mar 2022, 18:51
Originally Posted by Corporal Clott images/buttons/viewpost.gif (military-aviation/645164-naked-3-star-5.html#post11201183)

With the Chief Wokemeister General in charge then I hear that a lateral entry is on the cards… :}

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x2000/image_715598d0d9a7ba77f22bbbf3f2baad15d2c03c31.jpeg

Nil_Drift
18th Mar 2022, 11:57
I heard that the current stand-in is a Dentist! Just what you need when the military is on a war-footing!

I suppose they would be useful in the Marathon Man scenario with Dustin Hoffman. "Is it safe?" Forget the "only the Big 5" when someone is wielding a drill with no anaesthetic!

NutLoose
18th Mar 2022, 12:06
I heard that the current stand-in is a Dentist! Just what you need when the military is on a war-footing!

It will give them something to get your teeth into.. Was the out going on gardening leave while all this was going on?

Doors Off
18th Mar 2022, 13:30
No doubt the Dentist gave themselves dentures, all the the better to Hoover one’s way to the cream jobs.

Old-Duffer
18th Mar 2022, 13:57
Ladies and Gentlemen,
The officer to whom you refer in the posts just above is indeed a dentist but is an exceptionally gifted officer and reached her current position on merit.
The RAF and others are well seized of the selection of the most able for the top jobs.
I had thought we were above the thoughts that one cannot advance to the top of the greasy pole, unless one is of the winged master race!
The previous incumbent was suspended and resigned - a great pity IMHO but there 'tis.
Old Duffer

langleybaston
18th Mar 2022, 18:07
No doubt the next door neighbour is jubilant. Of course we are not to know the fine print, but both the complaint and the outcome seem regrettable
A nasty story and, from what I have read, the RAF is the loser..

Lima Juliet
18th Mar 2022, 19:12
Ladies and Gentlemen,
The officer to whom you refer in the posts just above is indeed a dentist but is an exceptionally gifted officer and reached her current position on merit.
The RAF and others are well seized of the selection of the most able for the top jobs.
I had thought we were above the thoughts that one cannot advance to the top of the greasy pole, unless one is of the winged master race!
The previous incumbent was suspended and resigned - a great pity IMHO but there 'tis.
Old Duffer

Maybe so, but I haven’t seen much HR transformation success under her watch! It took me 4 weeks to get an HM Forces Railcard which previously was a face-to-face pick up that took 10 minutes in what is now an empty Personal Services Flight. It is now a faceless centralised HR Centre at a few locations across the UK. Maybe if we had someone who was an HR EXPERT (ie. someone who has been doing HR as a Flt Lt to Air Cdre) in charge then we would not all be suffering from the new “HR Operating Model”… :ugh::ugh::ugh:

trim it out
18th Mar 2022, 19:35
Maybe so, but I haven’t seen much HR transformation success under her watch! It took me 4 weeks to get an HM Forces Railcard which previously was a face-to-face pick up that took 10 minutes in what is now an empty Personal Services Flight. It is now a faceless centralised HR Centre at a few locations across the UK. Maybe if we had someone who was an HR EXPERT (ie. someone who has been doing HR as a Flt Lt to Air Cdre) in charge then we would not all be suffering from the new “HR Operating Model”… :ugh::ugh::ugh:
I'm not RAF but I have heard grumblings from friends about the changes to PSF which has reduced the level of service? Have they removed all the clerks from SHQs now?

One of the best bits about working on an RAF station was how good PSF were compared to some green equivalents and civilianised admin departments (not all).

4 weeks to get a rail card is ridiculous. I had to return to the UK last year pronto and got issued a new rail card the first day back after a quick visit to the admin office to do the form.

Easy Street
18th Mar 2022, 19:59
Off topic, but to address the comments about the new HR model, station PSFs have effectively been replaced by a handful of regional HR centres. Interaction is through web apps or email, and telephone consultations can be booked. I was highly sceptical but have been pleasantly surprised so far. Although all emails go into a single multi-user address, I always seem to get a reply from the same SAC who is familiar with my case so there must be someone or something sorting the incoming messages (of which there must be thousands). As for railcards, I found a page in the HR intranet site which shows most stations are administering these through station cashiers or P1/discipline offices, which have not been centralised. I went to the cashier at my station and got a card on the spot without even having to apply through the web app beforehand.

trim it out
18th Mar 2022, 20:04
Off topic, but to address the comments about the new HR model, station PSFs have effectively been replaced by a handful of regional HR centres. Interaction is through web apps or email, and telephone consultations can be booked. I was highly sceptical but have been pleasantly surprised so far. Although all emails go into a single multi-user address, I always seem to get a reply from the same SAC who is familiar with my case so there must be someone or something sorting the incoming messages (of which there must be thousands). As for railcards, I found a page in the HR intranet site which shows most stations are administering these through station cashiers or P1/discipline offices, which have not been centralised. I went to the cashier at my station and got a card on the spot without even having to apply through the web app beforehand.
Thanks for the explanation.

(Apologies for the thread drift)

alfred_the_great
18th Mar 2022, 20:18

good thing the bloke who was sacked wasn’t responsible for MFTS then…

Lima Juliet
18th Mar 2022, 20:23
Yes, that is where I got my Railcard from eventually! But it took them 4 weeks to figure it out. The poor Cpl Clerk was busy with P1 Discip issues when I knocked on their door and had to drop it to issue me a Railcard that a SAC/LAC would normally do. It was so obviously an after-thought ‘fix it’ as I had to wait a week for the physical cards to be delivered to the P1 clerk before they could issue me with one.

Plus don’t get me even started on the loss of staff administering competences, OJAR/SJAR corrections or F5000 admin! Normally an enquiry email comes back with an automatic “give us 10 working days to get back to you”. It’s hardly an advance. Having spoken to the poor TG17 clerks they hate it too, feeling like battery hens hemmed in waiting for an email with minimal face-to-face contact.

The only bit of good news I’ve heard is that the real HR gurus have pleaded to get the cluster that is the new HR Operating Model back to something in-between - that small numbers of clerks are being returned to SHQs, OCU and Trg Units. It should never have happened in the first place and why (even though it pains me to say it) that Scribblies are worth their weight in gold for some things that a call-centre just won’t deliver.

My experience, and those I’ve talked to on other stations is obviously different to yours. Even the some of the so-called “Apps” (which are really glorified web pages) don’t work and it’s always a lottery whether they work on Edge, IE or Chrome!

Finningley Boy
18th Mar 2022, 20:52
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Old Duffer
Does it follow then, that back in the day, Dowding and Harris could just as seamlessly have been replaced by someone in uniform who actually was a Medical Officer? Or an accountant by trade? A theatrical agent? Or would that have been different though!

FB

London Eye
18th Mar 2022, 21:37
I suppose that depends on whether you can see any difference between being CinC Fighter and Bomber Command during the most significant war in history and being head of RAF HR today… 🙄

Finningley Boy
19th Mar 2022, 00:39
I suppose that depends on whether you can see any difference between being CinC Fighter and Bomber Command during the most significant war in history and being head of RAF HR today… 🙄

I imagine being Head of HR is something that doesn't require a more erudite discipline, other than office manager. However, the ultimate head of HR I suppose would be Wigston himself? I thought from Nil-Drift's post that to appoint someone to any command level in the RAF, who wasn't produced from within the raison detre, wasn't a good idea, especially under the present circumstances? But, again, if it is a simple matter of dealing with paperwork, why should it matter what the profession of the RAF's senior officers is.

FB

Asturias56
19th Mar 2022, 09:02
"I imagine being Head of HR is something that doesn't require a more erudite discipline"

It's an awful job - I know 3 clever, intelligent, caring people who went into HR with all the right attitudes and quit 3-7 years in. They found their faith in the goodness of people was so misplaced that it was affecting every facet of their life. They reckon you have few choices - you turn into a box ticker and remove any human attitudes or consideration, you become a total cynic and refuse to believe anything anyone tells you, or you become a manic dictator, feared by all.

I have had senior HR directors who filled every one of those options...............................

xenolith
19th Mar 2022, 17:28
Seems like a lot of fuss for just offering a neighbour a place to park his bike

Union Jack
19th Mar 2022, 18:27
Surely it rather depends on whether it has slim smooth road bike tyres or rough thick and muddy mountain bike tyres.....:eek:

Jack

cynicalint
19th Mar 2022, 19:33
Surely it rather depends on whether it has slim smooth road bike tyres or rough thick and muddy mountain bike tyres.....:eek:

Jack
OOerr Missus! that would surely divide Ppruners into one of two camps! - Rough or smooth?
Puts a different perspective on going to the Bike Store to get your leaving chit signed...

Gordon Brown
19th Mar 2022, 23:55
Perhaps a counter narrative might be that in her new position as DCom Cap AM Byford might listen to the SME that work for her, rather than take the view that a 3 Star aircrew mate automatically knows better than the people who are employed to deliver capability?

As long as she doesn’t sip the MBDA Kool Aid?🙊

Finningley Boy
20th Mar 2022, 21:51
:ooh: Really Sir!

FB

Lima Juliet
20th Mar 2022, 22:20
Perhaps a counter narrative might be that in her new position as DCom Cap AM Byford might listen to the SME that work for her, rather than take the view that a 3 Star aircrew mate automatically knows better than the people who are employed to deliver capability?

As long as she doesn’t sip the MBDA Kool Aid?🙊

Still a 2-star AVM. She is only covering the AMP side of business and COS Cap the capability stuff. We’re still waiting to hear who will be the 3-star DCOM Cap & AMP :ok:

teeteringhead
21st Mar 2022, 17:11
To be fair to the “fang farrier” she has done a bit more in her career than just root fillings you know. She was a Deskie at Innsworth (albeit for the professionally qualified, but a Deskie is a Deskie) and struck me as a good hand - had the odd drink with her when I was there.

That said, AT is/was a great loss, and seems as much as anything a victim of a difficulty with decision making at the top …….. (how very dare I…….!!)

minigundiplomat
21st Mar 2022, 20:30
To be fair to the “fang farrier” she has done a bit more in her career than just root fillings you know. She was a Deskie at Innsworth (albeit for the professionally qualified, but a Deskie is a Deskie) and struck me as a good hand - had the odd drink with her when I was there.

That said, AT is/was a great loss, and seems as much as anything a victim of a difficulty with decision making at the top …….. (how very dare I…….!!)

For his flaws, and we all have them, AT was a natural leader and warfighter, and we can’t have those in a military branch these days.

I’m afraid Wiggy the Woke, pronouns and 256 flavours of gender are now the new manifestation of leadership.

AT is best off out.

Old-Duffer
22nd Mar 2022, 07:11
Given the current situation, I would thought Ben Wallace should have refused to accept the resignation and reinstated AT pro tem.

My understanding is that the event took place last summer, top brass informed, apologies made etc. It only came to the 'public gaze', because neighbour wanted more and went to the press - there is a name for people like that but my dictionary does not seem to have it - I must look in the cesspit where I might be reminded what the word is.

One might consider the RN officer who left some papers, which were retrieved by the press. There was also the VSO who admitted to being a little naughty but seems to have faced no sanction whatsoever. The services bang on about having to mirror the general population in its selections etc and then throws a load tacks in the road, when someone does just that (not this case).

O D

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2022, 09:44
It’s a great shame that such a talented chap lost his career to something relatively trivial.

brakedwell
22nd Mar 2022, 10:02
It’s a great shame that such a talented chap lost his career to something relatively trivial.

I wouldn't call it trivial as he was a very senior officer who should have known better. If I had done a similar thing when I was in the RAF a sharp bollocking would all that would have been necessary!

MPN11
22nd Mar 2022, 13:14
I still wonder whether Sir was under the affluence of inkahol? It was extraordinarily strange behaviour.

langleybaston
22nd Mar 2022, 20:22
I wouldn't call it trivial as he was a very senior officer who should have known better. If I had done a similar thing when I was in the RAF a sharp bollocking would all that would have been necessary!

bollocking for arsing about without shreddies ..... paints a picture ................

sycamore
22nd Mar 2022, 22:51
Are they still neighbours...? Will it feature on `Neighbours from hell..`TV...?

langleybaston
23rd Mar 2022, 15:49
Fortunately we have a good neighbour pair each side.

I am reminded of the ancient wisdom for old blokes: have a garden small enough that your cries for help can be heard next door, but large enough for a little secluded corner on being caught short with very muddy boots on.
Mine is behind the shed, and formalised by a little sign.

treadigraph
24th Mar 2022, 00:24
Houses either side of me were empty for a few months a decade or so back. Got used to arriving home at midnight or so on a Friday, several sheets flapping in the breeze, blunder down to the end of the garden, keen to water the new compost heap as I gathered urine was quite a useful constituent. One night something made me pause for thought as I reached the half way mark. I like to think it was some primeval second sight instinct but in reality I probably espied a glowing ciggy butt across the fence out of a corner of an eye and thus I met my new neighbour Amelia, to this day my considerate and delightful person next door. She'd probably laugh if she knew my intended purpose when we first met and applaud it as she is very much oriented to "the Good Life". We chatted for fifteen or twenty minutes on that first occasion before I retreated inside, bent double with the need to excise the last pint or two... and I haven't pissed on the compost heap since.