PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of: New Zealand/Australia CPL to EASA ATPL +Please help!+

mercedesmicro
12th Feb 2022, 08:11
Hi All,
I am struggling to find information that will help me with my conversion.
I have New Zealand and Australia CPL with 750 hours multi crew hours as first officer on Dash 8 and a A320 rating which i did two years ago with expiry date april 2022.
1. Do i need to do an approved ATO atpl ground course, I have been told to use flyteam in Szeged, Hungary as I am basing myself in Romania.
2. The A320 rating was completed just before COVID lockdowns and I have never used it, will I be able to convert to EASA?
3. Do I need to do the GA flying, or can I do my ATPL check in a Simulator?
Any links to the EASA rules around what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

ersa
12th Feb 2022, 10:30
1. Because you have not got a AUS/NZ ATPL, you will NOT be exempt the ground school, so find an approved school , study and pass the 14 ATPL EXAMS.
2.If you have 500 hours on the A320, you could convert it , you have not.
3. You will need to pass a GA commercial licence (12 exams to pass) , gain the hours 1500 then sit the ATPL test in a sim.

mercedesmicro
12th Feb 2022, 13:45
Thank you for your reply, is the 12 GA exams on top of the 14 ATPL exams. I also have 750 hours on dash 8, is there any other options? thanks

ersa
13th Feb 2022, 06:02
There is nothing stopping you , enrolling for an approved ground school and sitting the 14 atpl exams , then sitting you're CPL, pass an IR/DASH8 sim check and get a job whilst building the hours for the ATPL.

Your issue is total hours. EASA are very strict on hours .

mercedesmicro
13th Feb 2022, 07:40
Thank you, What hours do I need? I have 2000 PIC and 3500 Total flight hours from being a flight instructor in NZ.

ersa
14th Feb 2022, 02:00
Thank you, What hours do I need? I have 2000 PIC and 3500 Total flight hours from being a flight instructor in NZ.

Then you will meet the requirement for a ATPL, so just the 14 exams from an approved ground school provider ,then a CPL skills test GA , then ATPL skills test / IR in the sim.

Alex Whittingham
14th Feb 2022, 16:50
Whether you get exemptions or not depends how picky the CAA are being. The requirement for exemption of approved training for the theory exams depends on the applicant actually holding a current and valid ATPL. If you actually held a CASA ATPL they might let you take that ATPL skills test at an EASA ATO on the A320, revalidating the rating at the same time. For a CPL holder even with your hours.....more tricky.

Airbuspants
18th Feb 2022, 01:37
Does anyone know the detailed profile of the ATPL skills test? Any ideas where best to convert an ICAO license to EASA?