PDA

View Full Version : Argentina criticises UK Falklands flights staging through Brazil

CAEBr
10th Feb 2022, 11:20
Full text here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/02/10/brazil-defends-falkland-islands-stopovers-royal-air-force-argentina/) ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Argentina's ambassador to Brazil last week complained about an increase in British military flights landing in the country Brazil has defended allowing British military planes to stop at its airports on the way to and from the Falkland Islands after Argentina complained. While Brazil said it backed Argentina's claims to sovereignty over the islands, it said that did not affect its "important partnership" with the UK. Daniel Scioli, Argentina's ambassador to Brazil, last week complained about an increase in British military flights stopping in Brazil. He said there had been seven RAF flights in January that had landed at Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre, causing "surprise and concern" in Argentina.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

ORAC
10th Feb 2022, 11:34
It’s like the complaints in the UN mentioned here a short time back - the complain to Brazil every couple of years and Brazil sends the same reply.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/780291/falklands-argentina-raf-flights-brazil-britain-islands-susana-malcorra

Video Mixdown
10th Feb 2022, 12:14
I don’t understand what the Argentine government hopes to achieve with this belligerent attitude. For decades now they could have adopted a friendlier posture, developing valuable trade and tourism links etc. If they did that who knows what future generations of Islanders might want, but this unremitting hostility just ensures they will get nowhere. There is no military option, and neighbouring South American states might pay lip service to supporting their claims, but they will take no action to enforce them.

Asturias56
10th Feb 2022, 13:18
well just before Covid they were due to start commercial flights from Brazil, via Argentina, to add to the LAN Chile flights every Saturday

Internal Argentinean politics again - they're in deep with the IMF again and it's "blame the foreigners" time.

It really is quite depressing how a country with so much in human and physical resources screws up decade after decade.

Marcantilan
10th Feb 2022, 15:04
Argentina is a wonderful country, unfortunately full of Argentine politicians.

Faced with the islanders, Argentina opted both for a friendly approach (giving Winnie the Pooh books at Christmas, for example), and other ways related to making the British presence in the islands more uncomfortable (for example, complaining about the flights).

These ups and downs changed with the governments, even of the same party (Peronists).

Beyond the fact that I doubt that the islanders will ever love the Argentines, I guess we have confused them enough all these years with so many changes of attitude.

1771 DELETE
10th Feb 2022, 21:16
Maybe its about time we got the Ascension runway fixed, bit surprised the USA is not complaining about it or have they deserted the island?

Kabobble
11th Feb 2022, 08:39
Maybe its about time we got the Ascension runway fixed, bit surprised the USA is not complaining about it or have they deserted the island?
Supposedly to be fixed by April 2023.

Ken Scott
11th Feb 2022, 10:00
Supposedly to be fixed by April 2023.

How long will that have taken, 5 years? Are the contractors the same ones as those doing the M6 ‘smart’ motorway work?

ORAC
11th Feb 2022, 10:25
Ask Washington - it’s their runway and it’s their contract to repair it.

https://en.mercopress.com/2020/02/14/ascension-island-airport-to-reopen-to-wide-body-traffic-by-2022

Imagegear
11th Feb 2022, 11:15
I had noticed several of these flights on FR24 staging through Brazil in the last month, I also noted one from Falklands direct San Paulo and return to Falklands and thought this, will raise a few eyebrows.

Possibly a medivac or an emergency repatriation, but it was a quick turnaround.

IG

Asturias56
11th Feb 2022, 13:31
I think the commercial flights were to be operated Sau Paulo, somewhere in N Argentina then to MPA and return

Similar to the Punta Arenas - Rio Gallegos - MPA operated by LAN Chile

Marcantilan
11th Feb 2022, 13:56
Argentina offered (during 2020 / 2021) regular flights (by Aerolineas Argentinas) Argentina / the islands and back.

Also, Argentina offered two humanitarian flights on Dec 2021, to move some people (mostly Chileans) stuck in the islands due to the Covid crisis (having in mind the limited flights are very expensive)

According to Arg govt, the islander govt refused the flights.