PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Flies Unmanned

ORAC
9th Feb 2022, 05:25
https://www.defensenews.com/land/2022/02/08/black-hawk-helicopter-flies-unmanned-for-the-first-time/

For the first time, Black Hawk helicopter flies without anyone aboard

WASHINGTON — A UH-60 Alpha-model Black Hawk helicopter flew for the first time entirely unmanned as part of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s Aircrew Labor In-Cockpit Automation System (ALIAS) (https://www.defensenews.com/land/2018/10/30/us-army-pilots-take-sikorsky-optionally-manned-helicopter-for-spin-for-the-first-time/) program, Sikorsky announced Feb. 8.…..

The aircraft performed pre-flight checks, took off and ran through a simulated Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) system depicting the congested and complex New York City skyline. The 14,000-lb aircraft responded autonomously to the simulated skyscrapers, weaving through Manhattan, according to Cherepinsky. Then the aircraft landed by itself.….

Young and Cherepinsky said DARPA will transition the capability to the Army so it can kit out its current and future fleets with tailorable autonomous capability…..

Next month, the program will conduct the first flight of a fly-by-wire Mike-model Black Hawk, the most modern version of the Army’s utility helicopter fleet, at Fort Eustis, Virginia, the statement noted.

jolihokistix
9th Feb 2022, 07:13
In a Blackhawk down scenario, it will have to able to comprehensively blow itself up too.

57mm
9th Feb 2022, 13:49
Sorry folks, unmanned is not PC; has to be "uninhabited"

langleybaston
9th Feb 2022, 17:56
I prefer unpersoned, because "inhabited" and its converse could mean any life form. Such as a flea.

[I maliciously suggested the sidesmen [both genders] at church should become "sidespersons". The suggestion was hailed as exemplary.

treadigraph
9th Feb 2022, 18:26
At first glance I read it as Biggles Flies Undone...

MPN11
9th Feb 2022, 18:49
I wonder if anyone dares stencil “Hoskins” near the cockpit.

langleybaston
9th Feb 2022, 20:59
How do I Met. brief the flight?

[with difficulty, and a crap forecast, yes, but .....]

The elements that might affect pilotless include:
wind shear
icing
turbulence
lightning

tartare
10th Feb 2022, 00:07

Fk me.
Really...?

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
10th Feb 2022, 12:51
The aircraft performed pre-flight checks
I'm sure it didn't perform all of them.
Sikorsky UH-60A Blackhawk Optionally Piloted Vehicle takes its first uninhabited flight on Saturday, Feb. 5, 2022. (Lockheed Martin)
Yep.

Bksmithca
10th Feb 2022, 14:40
Wondering how the troops in the back are going to feel with no one up front. Expendable

Ninthace
10th Feb 2022, 15:39
Uncrewed? Gender neutral and accurate.

PICKS135
10th Feb 2022, 16:13
Surely this should be titled 'HAL flies Blackhawk' ?? :rolleyes:

tdracer
10th Feb 2022, 19:06
Wondering how the troops in the back are going to feel with no one up front. Expendable
Yea, I was thinking an unmanned attack helo (e.g. Apache) would be a better candidate...

Lima Juliet
10th Feb 2022, 21:34

Already exposed that in Aliens when the drop ship piles in :}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY