PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro/ISP password problem

Navy_Adversary
24th Aug 2002, 08:55
For a few months now I have been running XP Pro/IE6/OE with BT and Virgin as ISPs.
Intermittently whilst trying to log on to my ISP various error messages show, but once I re-type my password I gain access.
This is a pain because I never know when it's going to happen, I am not brilliant on computers but any tips most welcome.
I have run a search through the forum and other forums but have not managed to come up with anything.
TIA

Tinker
24th Aug 2002, 11:50
I use BT and get a similar problem. There have been stories floating around that BT are preventing 'anytime' users from accessing the internet 'anytime' if they feel you are using it too often and I put the problem down to that. Can't say for sure though.

Navy_Adversary
24th Aug 2002, 16:14
Tinker, Thanks for that info, I didn't know if it was more a XP problem, but I'll try and find out more.

Capt Claret
26th Aug 2002, 08:07
N-A

I've had similar problems since switching to XP-Pro/IE6/MS Outlook (and initially Outlook Express) some 3 months ago.

If I remember correctly, the fix was to log onto Microsoft's Windows update page. Somewhere there, you should find a link that will allow MS to look at your machine and then download various patches to fix known problems.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, however I've gone from receiving the messages each and every log on, to only once in a while.

Good luck.

baggie
26th Aug 2002, 21:34
I use BT anytime and what a pain. Even though you pay for anytime access I have received several e-mails from BT saying that I am in breach of my contract because I have been on line for more than 12 hours in one stint, even though BT throws you out after 2 hours. I know you can get round the 2 hour cut of but what a pain isn't that what we are paying for free access. They also had the cheek to put the prices up.

Anybody else have the same problem with BT or any other ISP

Navy_Adversary
26th Aug 2002, 23:13
CC
Cheers,thanks very much, i'll try it out.

Baggie,
I'm quite pleased with BT, I originally started with Virgin who were reasonably OK, then BT came out with Anytime so I switched. BT are now £15.99 and Virgin now do anytime at £13.49 but I have been pretty happy with BT so I'll keep them for the time being.