PDA

View Full Version : AAC Helicopter Pilots - Minimum Rank Lowered To Private

RAFEngO74to09
1st Feb 2022, 15:39
https://twitter.com/ArmyAirCorps/status/1488495120358187012

https://www.forces.net/news/british-army-lowers-minimum-rank-become-helicopter-pilot

MPN11
1st Feb 2022, 16:20
That will confuse those complaining about Private Flying on Government business.

Herod
1st Feb 2022, 16:37
That will confuse those complaining about Private Flying on Government business.

Spot on!! :D

Doesn't the AAC have Sgt pilots anymore?

trim it out
1st Feb 2022, 16:52
Doesn't the AAC have Sgt pilots anymore?
Yes, it just means the pool of potential candidates has become more inclusive which is very good news in my book. The rank/age restrictions of old meant plenty of potential candidates were outside of the parameters.

MPN11
1st Feb 2022, 17:11
How do the pay scales work? I assume the usual Flying Pay, or whatever it's called now. But they must be among the cheapest Pilots going ... albeit with interesting career options after 8 years [or whatever].

Melchett01
1st Feb 2022, 17:12
I wonder if the AAC will now be able to chose Dir AAvn on 2050 on the basis of someone’s hand eye coordination when they were a 20 year old Private soldier?

Or will just the RAF persist in that as being a criteria for advancement to the most senior ranks?

MPN11
1st Feb 2022, 17:16
I wonder if the AAC will now be able to chose Dir AAvn on 2050 on the basis of someone’s hand eye coordination when they were a 20 year old Private soldier?

Or will just the RAF persist in that as being a criteria for advancement to the most senior ranks?
"Do you hunt?"

"Naah, mate, Well, only tottie. But I can fly at 5 feet with the best of 'em."

trim it out
1st Feb 2022, 17:32
How do the pay scales work? I assume the usual Flying Pay, or whatever it's called now. But they must be among the cheapest Pilots going ... albeit with interesting career options after 8 years [or whatever].
For an example:
Sgt pilot, year 1, supplement 4: £39,896 + RRP(F)
Capt pilot, year 1: £44,096 + RRP(F)

So a £4200pa cheaper option at a rough guess.

NutLoose
1st Feb 2022, 19:56
I’m assuming that is for the training side and they will be promoted to Sgt when qualified?

trim it out
1st Feb 2022, 20:15
I’m assuming that is for the training side and they will be promoted to Sgt when qualified?
They are local Sgt on course (unless already substantive) and become substantive on wings or CTT, I can't remember, probably CTT as that's when they transfer to AAC if an E3.

melmothtw
2nd Feb 2022, 11:43

The remainder of the AAC Twitter thread on the subject notes that there will be a recommendation to promotion to Lance Corporal, so whatever current Lance Corporal pilots are paid I'd imagine. Actually, if this is the case in truth there won't actually be any Private pilots.

trim it out
2nd Feb 2022, 13:24
The remainder of the AAC Twitter thread on the subject notes that there will be a recommendation to promotion to Lance Corporal, so whatever current Lance Corporal pilots are paid I'd imagine. Actually, if this is the case in truth there won't actually be any Private pilots.
They won't be LCpl pilots.

All that has changed is the rank requirements to apply for the pilot course. It used to be LCpl recommended Cpl. Now you can apply as Pte or equivalent recommended LCpl.

They will be granted local Sgt (paid at the rank/trade they were on application) on course and promoted to substantive Sgt on wings with supplement 4 and RRP(F) on completion of CTT

MPN11
2nd Feb 2022, 15:48
And now it makes sense! Thank you!

RAF ATC followed a similar route to Sgt ATC Controller, without the candidates having to wait for years to reach sgt and go on the course.

Two's in
2nd Feb 2022, 16:28
It does make sense to widen the selection pool to the spotty youth community, but the rank criteria (whatever NCO level it was) was previously predicated on pilot applicants having acquired a reasonable knowledge of how the Army works. AAC was always required to operate in All-Arms environment, so a knowledge of wider operations than those acquired from your original branch made sense. Does this mean DAAvn think that knowledge base is less critical, or that the (junior and less experienced) pilots will always be supervised by a grown up?

Having flown with newly qualified pilots from Corporal to Major, amazingly enough, rank was never an indicator of ability!

Haraka
2nd Feb 2022, 16:38
I remember Corporal F104G Starfighter pilots in the German Air Force..............

trim it out
2nd Feb 2022, 16:57
It does make sense to widen the selection pool to the spotty youth community, but the rank criteria (whatever NCO level it was) was previously predicated on pilot applicants having acquired a reasonable knowledge of how the Army works. AAC was always required to operate in All-Arms environment, so a knowledge of wider operations than those acquired from your original branch made sense. Does this mean DAAvn think that knowledge base is less critical, or that the (junior and less experienced) pilots will always be supervised by a grown up?

Having flown with newly qualified pilots from Corporal to Major, amazingly enough, rank was never an indicator of ability!
As you've said, the rank requirement was to make use of the experience gained as soldiers progressed towards Cpl. Why they had this rule for soldiers but a 2Lt with no experience outside of Sandhurst was a suitable candidate (when in times past they would do a detachment with a field Army unit before the pilot course) was never clarified. I think now common sense has prevailed and experience outside of aviation doesn't necessarily make a better Army Pilot.
Again, as you've also said, the junior pilot regardless of rank will always be supervised by a "grown up", who could also be any rank.

Squat switch
14th Feb 2022, 16:31
They said it was 'progress' when they introduced Cpl Pilots in the mid 80's. As usual just another ploy to increase the numbers applying and giving them hope of a career.
At the current rate of progression through the course, they'll be getting their wings and pension on the same day.

HEDP
14th Feb 2022, 17:10
The other way to view this is that with the size of the army shrinking, there isn't the breadth of applicants anymore at the appropriate rank with suitable experience. This doesn't overcome the experience issue but it does capture talent before they get disillusioned and bang out....

alfred_the_great
14th Feb 2022, 18:48
I’d also note that this is also open to OR1s in the RN and RAF. Convert to AAC on Wings.

MPN11
14th Feb 2022, 19:03
And surely a skip-load of RAF Officer pilots still get into the FT system with bugger-all experience of All-Arms warfare but with a 2-2 in Ancient Greek? At least, that was the view of my DE aircrew mates at Tengah about their Graduate Entry mates on the squadrons.

Ken Scott
15th Feb 2022, 07:29
With the grade inflation prevalent today they’d have at least a 2.1 in Ancient Greek...

Two's in
15th Feb 2022, 18:17
How can you use "Ancient Temple with Doric Columns" as an IP if you don't know what it looks like?

MPN11
15th Feb 2022, 18:22
How can you use "Ancient Temple with Doric Columns" as an IP if you don't know what it looks like?
Good call!

So … what about the Bushy Top Tree, much used by Inf?

Two's in
15th Feb 2022, 18:57
Good call!

So … what about the Bushy Top Tree, much used by Inf?

I always felt some sympathy for anyone who owned a "White gabled house on ridge line" anywhere near Brawdy during an FAC course.

MPN11
15th Feb 2022, 19:27
I always felt some sympathy for anyone who owned a "White gabled house on ridge line" anywhere near Brawdy during an FAC course.
haha … and 10 characters!

Thud_and_Blunder
16th Feb 2022, 12:15
"whale-backed ridge" was another "favourite" - along with "corner of bright yellow field" (around the time when every 6th field was covered in oilseed rape).