PDA

View Full Version : Blue Islands

lakerairways
27th Jan 2022, 16:58
Does anyone in the know have any info on what's happening at Blue Islands? Have heard rumours that things aren't well internally. Are they still looking for a buyer?

wanna
30th Jan 2022, 11:21
Does anyone in the know have any info on what's happening at Blue Islands? Have heard rumours that things aren't well internally. Are they still looking for a buyer?

On the contrary, its been posted that Flybe Mk2 was offered to them for purchase

ollie135
30th Jan 2022, 13:33
@wanna a baselsss rumour I think.

Albert Hall
30th Jan 2022, 14:46
It was on the front page of the Daily Telegraph business section a few weeks ago, so if it was a baseless rumour, then it got quite a long way!

KindaUnstuck
30th Jan 2022, 22:00
Not heard anything specifically about them either way for a while other than the normal "typical Blue Islands" comments with their customer services.

They picked up some ex-Flybe people during Covid so don't know if they are still around, locally they have been advertising for cabin crew (rumours a few weeks back that they had a crew shortage, however equally that could of been a crew shortage due to staff having Covid possibly).

The ceasefire with Aurigny on GCI - SOU should help them as capacity is pretty much half of what it was summer 2019 but 2022 looks like it will be a large number of routes (+ x2 weekly Dutch and x1 weekend Swiss charter) with only 5 aircraft still - it feels like they are spreading themselves very thinly

N123JB
31st Jan 2022, 01:45
with only 5 aircraft still - it feels like they are spreading themselves very thinly
Rumour from Jersey is that ISLH (their last ATR 42 and the only aircraft they don't lease) has been sold to try and generate some cash, so their fleet could be as low as 4. I note that their S22 schedule seems to have been massively cut back, especially from JER, and now only needs 4 aircraft (not including a back-up aircraft). All flights appear to be showing as operated by an ATR 72.

KindaUnstuck
1st Feb 2022, 17:11
Rumour from Jersey is that ISLH (their last ATR 42 and the only aircraft they don't lease) has been sold to try and generate some cash, so their fleet could be as low as 4. I note that their S22 schedule seems to have been massively cut back, especially from JER, and now only needs 4 aircraft (not including a back-up aircraft). All flights appear to be showing as operated by an ATR 72.

Looking on Flight Radar she hasn't moved for 24 days now but if that is the case, then if there is no replacement this summer things are going to go spectacularly wrong the second they have any tech issues as presumably they will have 1 aircraft based in Southampton, 2 in Jersey and 1 in Guernsey which unless it gets used as backup will sit on the ground every day until 1:30pmish doing nothing I presume?

Brother and family were on the evening SOU - GCI booked through Aurigny. on 29/12 which returned to Southampton due to fog. Long story cut short - Blue Islands (their ground agents in Southampton) told all the passengers they had to rebook themselves online via the Blue Islands website (regardless of which airline the original booking was done through) for a flight the following day (but didn't give them the code which would of allowed them to rebook without being charged). Aurigny meanwhile had someone log in and rebook all their own passengers onto the same plane so brother effectively ended up with x2 booking for all 4 of them - the original Aurigny booking which included x2 free tickets his partner won in a competition and then the Blue Islands one that cost £300 on the same plane.

Blue Islands are not refunding the passengers as they say it wasn't their fault their ground agents gave the wrong info out. Every time my brother phones Blue Islands the call centre staff are saying the refunds haven't been authorised by the management yet.

Aero Mad
2nd Feb 2022, 09:19
Blue Islands are not refunding the passengers as they say it wasn't their fault their ground agents gave the wrong info out. Every time my brother phones Blue Islands the call centre staff are saying the refunds haven't been authorised by the management yet.

When your brother booked his flight, his contract was with Blue Islands Ltd, not with any other company. Whether Blue Islands chooses to sub-contract aspects of its operation to another firm (i.e. a handling company) in order to fulfil its contractual obligations to passengers is immaterial. This argument would be very speedily dismissed in a court.

SWBKCB
3rd Feb 2022, 08:32
Blue Islands are not refunding the passengers as they say it wasn't their fault their ground agents gave the wrong info out.

Aero Mad is right - the key word here is agent - "a person who acts for or represents another". The contract is with Blue Island, the agent is acting for Blue Island and if there is a problem it's for Blue Island to sort it out with the agent.

KindaUnstuck
3rd Feb 2022, 09:35
Aero Mad is right - the key word here is agent - "a person who acts for or represents another". The contract is with Blue Island, the agent is acting for Blue Island and if there is a problem it's for Blue Island to sort it out with the agent.

Thanks both - that is what I told him. To be fair when he phoned Aurigny they said they couldn't refund but to let them know if he got nowhere as it needed to be flagged up

According to Blue Islands yesterday afternoon the payments have been authorised and went out on 26th January - but no money has arrived in my brother's account.

In other news I see they are offering Jersey - Majorca flights over Easter, £250 each way I believe

wanna
3rd Feb 2022, 09:59

Sold to raise cash or sold because its an ancient, according to google just over 32 years old 42-320. Cant imagine that selling it (if theres a buyer) would generate much money and the scrap value wouldn't be huge. Logic prevailing would show now a common fleet of 72-500 so much easier for crew training both on the flight deck and cabin and a single parts pool / engineering requirement. The 320 is a variant so does have some differences and on top of that the 42 has differences to the 72.

Yes that leaves them with only 4 aircraft but I wouldn't imagine its hard to find a ready to go 72-500, im sure leasing companies would bite their hands off to place an aircraft... or more.

adfly
9th Feb 2022, 07:37
It would appear that Blue Islands have now also dropped their plans to serve Dublin and Manchester from Southampton. Source: SeanM1997 on a certain social media site...

KindaUnstuck
9th Feb 2022, 19:13
It would appear that Blue Islands have now also dropped their plans to serve Dublin and Manchester from Southampton. Source: SeanM1997 on a certain social media site...

I didn't look in depth but presume that pretty much frees up an entire aircraft and does away having an aircraft sat overnight in Southampton.

ICEHOUSES
26th Feb 2022, 07:28
Not sure what the long term plan is for Blue islands by its owners, but it was mentioned in Guernsey press yesterday that Healthspan (flagship part of the organisation) have been sold off to another company by the Derek Coates estate, and last year they disposed of all the hotel properties they owned, or maybe they are planning more investment in the airline long term.

Jerbourg
26th Feb 2022, 07:40
I doubt anyone would buy the airline tbh, the routes operated aren't exactly the 'hottest tickets in town'.
Should Blue just vanish then Aurigny, Eastern, Flybe (if, when, ever) could easily mop up the few Channel Island routes the currently operate.

N123JB
3rd Mar 2022, 20:03
I doubt anyone would buy the airline tbh, the routes operated aren't exactly the 'hottest tickets in town'.
Should Blue just vanish then Aurigny, Eastern, Flybe (if, when, ever) could easily mop up the few Channel Island routes the currently operate.
To be fair, some of their routes are pretty valuable, BI just seems to almost sour any market it touches.

Jerbourg
27th Mar 2022, 12:03
Blue Islands have been stopped operating direct JER-DUB due apparently to issues caused by Brexit, however Aurigny are operating GCI-DUB without an issue so seems a bit odd to me, any ideas out there what the licensing issue could be?

Blue Islands unable to fly direct Jersey to Dublin route | ITV News Channel (https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2022-03-27/blue-islands-unable-to-fly-direct-jersey-to-dublin-route)

KindaUnstuck
27th Mar 2022, 15:50
Blue Islands have been stopped operating direct JER-DUB due apparently to issues caused by Brexit, however Aurigny are operating GCI-DUB without an issue so seems a bit odd to me, any ideas out there what the licensing issue could be?

Blue Islands unable to fly direct Jersey to Dublin route | ITV News Channel (https://www.itv.com/news/channel/2022-03-27/blue-islands-unable-to-fly-direct-jersey-to-dublin-route)

According to SeanM on Twitter it's some sort of UK/EU agreement paperwork.

EDIT - Just had an email from Aurigny that my flight on 14th April may also be affected. Aurigny have a temporary permit that ends on 10 April, and after this date the authorities will only allow them into DUB if they her a permanent permit, they will not issue another temporary one.

wanna
29th Mar 2022, 08:12
Both Aurigny and Blue Islands seem to (from local media / social media posts) have issues with their new routes to/from Dublin from the channel islands. Apparently to do with Brexit issues / operating licences. GR have a temporary licence until first week of April according to facebook posts, whilst Blue Islands weren't granted a temporary. Both flights appear to be operating / will operate into Belfast.

From social media posts Blue Islands seem to have handled the situation very well providing onward transport to Dublin from Belfast, and inbound to Belfast from Dublin.

KindaUnstuck
1st May 2022, 14:36
Issues at Blue Islands again it seems...

G-ISLL has been parked up for 8 days now, I had noticed that Aurigny had been covering the evening GCI-SOU again recently.

Today GR are covering the early afternoon GC- SOU flight and an Air Alsie ATR 72 has operated RTM - GCI - JER before doing JER - EXT and JER - SOU this afternoon (returns back to Denmark tomorrow).

Even if G-ISLL had been operational it looks like they wouldn't have had enough aircraft with x3 Aircraft required for European charters (RTM, GRQ and FMM/NUE) plus one for GCI - Sou and one for JER- BHD.

Jerbourg
1st May 2022, 16:14
G-ISLL is apparently awaiting an engine change.
G-ISLO a 'new' frame for the airline is currently at EMA undergoing painting into Blue colours.

I would guess Alsie are covering for the tech LL so no real issues here really..

Rivet Joint
1st May 2022, 19:10
G-ISLL is apparently awaiting an engine change.
G-ISLO a 'new' frame for the airline is currently at EMA undergoing painting into Blue colours.

I would guess Alsie are covering for the tech LL so no real issues here really..

Any news on G-ISLH? Assume it’s being scrapped?

MARKEYD
1st May 2022, 21:47
It’s been on stand 5 for the last week or so having been moved from a remote stand by the cargo area where it was sat for ages
It was having engine runs last week but nothing much since

Jerbourg
2nd May 2022, 06:34
I overheard a conversation that it was maybe being prepared for a ferry flight to the 'scrapyard'.

P330
2nd May 2022, 11:29
I believe the aircraft in question was due to fly to Teesside for scrapping last month. Not sure if that is still the intention (my guess is it didn’t happen for technical reasons).

The scrapper was slated to be Willis Aviation.

N707ZS
2nd May 2022, 22:46
G-ISLH, it arrived at Teesside today.
http://www.dtvmovements.co.uk/images/2022MME/GISLH_RB.jpg

N123JB
15th May 2022, 14:49
I believe the aircraft in question was due to fly to Teesside for scrapping last month. Not sure if that is still the intention (my guess is it didn’t happen for technical reasons)
Have heard some people in the know saying the same thing. Went tech a few days before it was due to leave hence the delay.

In other news, BI have finally gotten their licensing sorted out so DUB can fly from 19th April. Twice-weekly summer route to RNS also launching from the end of the month (not really a 'new route', believe they already operate a very similar schedule on a charter basis to bring French builders into the island, so looks like they've just opened it up for paying passengers). Might be a good shout considering the mess the CI-France ferries are in at the moment.

Garstag
30th May 2022, 17:15
Does anyone know when G ISLO is joining the fleet - ive seen pictures of it in Blue Islands livery

pamann
6th Oct 2022, 19:58
Just received this in my inbox…

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1160x2000/4b8a9d66_86cd_493f_84e2_52aeff7232fc_3039e09225795d60551c15a 12bb15a5c1aff8152.jpeg

Are the Canary Islands even possible non-stop from Jersey/Guernsey on an ATR? I’m guessing they must be for them to be asking the question. But what kind of flight times would we be talking? It must be pushing the limits of the ATR? Not sure I’d fancy it tbh.

KindaUnstuck
6th Oct 2022, 20:11
According to some quick Googling, JER-ACE is 2450km, the range of an ATR 72-500 is around 1300km, based on a cruising speed of 500km/h and a stop roughly on the direct route (Lisbon?) you would be looking at 6 hours (ish) each way... Think this is probably to get people excited and then offer them somewhere like Malaga instead at the end of it.

​​​​​​

kcockayne
6th Oct 2022, 20:41
Maybe they are thinking of getting a jet !

AirportPlanner1
6th Oct 2022, 21:13
6 hours via Lisbon or wherever on an ATR is laughable for most of us, but I guess when you’re on an island and want some winter sun it’s a lot more convenient than a trip to London or wherever then a connection, possibly an overnight stay.

KindaUnstuck
6th Oct 2022, 21:23
Maybe they are thinking of getting a jet !

Seems the most logical explanation, or chartering one in from across the water maybe if G-NSEY is staying around as Aurigny said if she stayed she would be put out to charter more?

22/04
7th Oct 2022, 08:36
It won't be an ATR of course. There are lots of possibilities. Leasing in from a third party for example.

SKOJB
7th Oct 2022, 09:18
Eastern’s E190 if returned from TAP?

N123JB
27th Oct 2022, 18:54
BI are studying a return to IOM with direct flights from JER. Let's see if this goes anywhere this time unlike LUX.

https://www.blueislands.com/news/posts/2022-1/october/blue-islands-exploring-interest-in-isle-of-man-service/

jethro15
27th Oct 2022, 19:17
Eastern’s E190 if returned from TAP?
Returns 31 Oct - Early!

Letsflycwl
27th Oct 2022, 19:40
I’m surprised that Blue Islands have not looked at the possibility of JER-CWL-JER flights for S23. Would be an ideal fit for them.

Albert Hall
27th Oct 2022, 19:46
Perhaps they have looked at it and decided against it? Quite possible.

AirLCY
27th Oct 2022, 19:48
Returns 31 Oct - Early!

why early ?

Letsflycwl
27th Oct 2022, 19:56
Perhaps they have looked at it and decided against it? Quite possible.

Possibly yes but JER always had high passenger figures ex CWL with BA, JE, WW & BE and guarantee they be crying out for a new operator restoring this link.

Albert Hall
27th Oct 2022, 20:02
I'm sure they will be, but with the traditional Jersey tourism market in long-term decline due to reducing amounts of accommodation there, a lot of things which used to happen in Jersey won't. That's partly why you've seen Jet2 cut back their Jersey programme too. The island used to have schedules to Bournemouth too, and weekend charters to Gloucester, Oxford, Manston, Blackpool, Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness and probably several others that I can't remember but none are still flying today. As they say in the small print on your pension, past performance is not indicative of future results!

jethro15
27th Oct 2022, 20:22
why early ?
That's for someone else to say on an open forum.

N123JB
29th Oct 2022, 01:50
I’m surprised that Blue Islands have not looked at the possibility of JER-CWL-JER flights for S23. Would be an ideal fit for them.
Because they've got a lot of vested interest in Bristol and as far as I'm aware passenger loads on JER-BRS aren't where they should be, last thing they'll want to do is lure people away.

jmdavies86
29th Oct 2022, 16:42
BI are studying a return to IOM with direct flights from JER.

I can't see there being sufficient demand for direct JER-IOM-JER flights; SI currently has a partnership in place with LM that allows for customers to buy a single through-ticket that offers 'seamless connections', so surely developing a strong network of one-stop journey options via a mainland destination would be a better proposition for both carriers.

For example, SI could consider operating JER-LPL (as LM offers LPL-IOM) or perhaps LM could operate IOM-SOU (as SI offers SOU-JER).

Albert Hall
29th Oct 2022, 17:09
The only issue with that is for many potential customers on that route, they’re limited on the number of days they can be in the UK even for a flight connection. A non-stop service avoids the issue.

kcockayne
29th Oct 2022, 17:29
Jersey - IoM has been tried quite often over the last 15-20 years; & has never proved to be a "goer". I am surprised that Blue Island are resurrecting it - again.
There is , perhaps an unquantifiable, demand from the finance industry in both islands, but I don't think that there is much of a demand elsewhere in either island. Overall, I can't see it lasting this time, either.

virginblue
29th Oct 2022, 21:38
IOM - JER has been a 19 seater route in the past served with Jetstream and Dorniers, if memory serves (and in the case of Manx2. their Dornier made a stop at GLO en route). .Not sure how they can reasonably expcet to make it work with a 70 seater in times of video conferencing, WFH etc.

N123JB
13th Nov 2022, 22:07
Jersey - IoM has been tried quite often over the last 15-20 years; & has never proved to be a "goer". I am surprised that Blue Island are resurrecting it - again.
There is , perhaps an unquantifiable, demand from the finance industry in both islands, but I don't think that there is much of a demand elsewhere in either island. Overall, I can't see it lasting this time, either.

BI's argument is that now BA/Flybe don't serve IOM there's no one-booking connecting option, and the only alternative is a really long layover at LGW on EZY or Loganair who seem to be stupidly expensive. When BI originally served IOM it was successful, I remember it being up to twice daily at one point, however was scrapped as frequencies would've had to have been cut pretty dramatically if the route was to move to the ATR, which would hence make BA/Flybe a more attractive option, plus I also remember BI heavily pushing the ability to self connect through LCY when they first launched the latter. I'd say their argument isn't totally hopeless, however I can't see how they can make it work with 70 seats per flight. You're either going to have such limited frequency again or end up flooding the market.

fjencl
1st Feb 2023, 15:18
Does Blue Islands currently have any other bases than Jersey and Guernsey. Do they nightstop there aircraft or do they return to Jersey and Guernsey every night.

I know there was talk about a base at Exeter or Southampton.

Did that ever happen

Jerbourg
1st Feb 2023, 18:02
They only night stop at GCI & JER. The proposed UK bases never got off the ground I think I'm correct in saying..

fjencl
1st Feb 2023, 18:29
They only night stop at GCI & JER. The proposed UK bases never got off the ground I think I'm correct in saying..
Okay , cheers for that info......

darn
10th Apr 2023, 10:45
Having noticed that they are recruiting for Captains at the minute, I wonder how they manage to find any?

Given that the only bases are the Channel Islands and the cost of renting/buying anywhere there seems to be extortionate. Wouldn't imagine a commuting contract is feasible.

Out of interest, anyone know what the starting salary is?

fjencl
10th Apr 2023, 11:11
I know it's a shame that they have not got a base on the mainland UK.

At least it would be cheaper for people to seek accommodation, rather than the high prices of the channel islands.

Maybe time will tell, who knows.

TCAS FAN
10th Apr 2023, 14:50
[QUOTE............Given that the only bases are the Channel Islands and the cost of renting/buying anywhere there seems to be extortionate.,,,,,,[/QUOTE]

Not unless you can gain access to Local Market housing. Anyone know if Aurigny has facilitated this for their crew members? If they have then Blue Islands should have a good case to secure the same for theirs.

Jerbourg
10th Apr 2023, 19:41
I've always been surprised that neither Blue or Aurigny overnight an aircraft in the UK, there is I'm sure a market for an early departure to the island from either LGW or SOU, CityFlyer used to do an 0730 from LGW to GCI on weekdays with healthy loads I recall, I know times are very different now but I'm sure it could still prove worthwhile.

MARKEYD
10th Apr 2023, 21:36
The cost of night stopping a crew and aircraft is huge much more than you can imagine with the logistics involved
Flybe never did it for all those years when they operated the lucrative route from SOU

Easy Jet have finally based an aircraft over night here in Jersey with surprisingly good loads so far for the summer so who knows

Brexoff
11th Apr 2023, 15:08
Having noticed that they are recruiting for Captains at the minute, I wonder how they manage to find any?

Given that the only bases are the Channel Islands and the cost of renting/buying anywhere there seems to be extortionate. Wouldn't imagine a commuting contract is feasible.

Out of interest, anyone know what the starting salary is?

Its about £45k for captains and £25k for FO’s I believe which is only really appealing to locals who don’t want to move away and or people who already have wealth.

Not sure how anyone can survive on those wages over there without someone or something supplementing their income.

An FO I know who left a few years back only managed to put up with is because his parents sent him £500pm to top up his wages before he found something better.

OltonPete
19th Jul 2023, 15:36
Has this route become part-time?

Just operate when they can find an aircraft, as the amount of cancellations in the last week have been unbelievable especially when one the major loco's is going to enter on the route next year. I

would have thought you would want to look after your customers not inconvenience them or drive them away.

I assume it is all due to an ATR which has been out of service since 6 July and the lack of being able to source an alternative carrier to operate on their behalf?

I trust they have spread the cancellations around but nothing from BHX after last Thursday until Sunday last week, nothing yesterday, both flights cancelled today :confused:

Pete

KindaUnstuck
19th Jul 2023, 17:50
Guernsey - Southampton has had disruption on some days as they have been moving the aircraft over to Jersey - at various points I have seen the Aurigny ATR operating the afternoon flights, some flights totally cancelled and Aurigny laying on their own flights, including with a Dornier at some points for the customers who had booked direct with Aurigny.

I think there was one night also where they used one ATR to operate SOU-GCI-SOU in the middle of the evening JER-SOU-JER rotation, and I have also seen what would be the Guernsey-based aircraft flown out after its evening Southampton run when it has operated so that it is in Jersey to operate a red-eye the following day.

The 5-6pm inter-island rotation also operated after 10pm on at least 2 days last week... the aircraft that is currently out of action was also sat broken down when I went through Birmingham on 30 June

Quadhop
6th Nov 2023, 14:08
Its about £45k for captains and £25k for FO’s I believe which is only really appealing to locals who don’t want to move away and or people who already have wealth.

Not sure how anyone can survive on those wages over there without someone or something supplementing their income.

An FO I know who left a few years back only managed to put up with is because his parents sent him £500pm to top up his wages before he found something better.

It was more like 50K for skippers last year I think

SealinkBF
19th Mar 2024, 12:37
Luxembourg trial and Isle of Man returns

Isle of Man to Channel Islands direct flights return after trial - BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp04qpm2r62o)

Channel Island flights to Luxembourg to be trialled - BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-68586775)

AerArann62W
4th Apr 2024, 21:07
Is G-ISLK out of service also now with G-ISLO?

jethro15
4th Apr 2024, 21:59
Is G-ISLK out of service also now with G-ISLO?
Another victim of the current worldwide ATR maintenance problems?

AerArann62W
7th Apr 2024, 11:30
Another victim of the current worldwide ATR maintenance problems?

G-ISLK re-entered service this morning it seems after 5 weeks or so.