PDA

View Full Version : Elroy Air: autonomous VTOL cargo aircraft

skridlov
26th Jan 2022, 15:55
https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/26/22902351/elroy-air-chaparral-autonomous-vtol-electric-hybrid-cargo-plane
May be of interest to the aviation community.
And before someone else points it out, I too noticed that the only shots of it off the ground omit the cargo coffin.

OPENDOOR
27th Jan 2022, 10:58
Not sure about its ultimate practicality or end use but at least the gas turbine/electric hybrid power plant is a serious method of powering an eVTOL aircraft rather than the fantasy battery powered things like the Lilium. Also 220kg over 300 miles looks like an achievable target.

widgeon
27th Jan 2022, 11:58
What is the real radius of action ?. I am sure 300 miles is max range at economical cruise. Each vertical take off or landing will lessen the range I would have thought. How many remote locations will be able to refuel the aircraft ?.

procede
27th Jan 2022, 12:17
I am more concerned about fuel needed for reserve, holding and alternate.

OPENDOOR
27th Jan 2022, 12:22
What is the real radius of action ?. I am sure 300 miles is max range at economical cruise. Each vertical take off or landing will lessen the range I would have thought. How many remote locations will be able to refuel the aircraft ?.
It uses Jet A1 which is generally available globally.

OPENDOOR
27th Jan 2022, 12:29
I am more concerned about fuel needed for reserve, holding and alternate.
I think the entire point of an autonomous VTOL drone is that it doesn't need to hold or divert to an alternate. So long as it is coming into land at a defined safe touchdown point it can do so in zero visibility providing surface winds are within its ability to land.

Less Hair
27th Jan 2022, 12:33
If it flies within the system it should stick to the rules. Otherwise we will create chaos say If somebody else is doing an emergency landing everybody will be put on hold, excluding approaching drones. I see the systems coordination and safety aspect to become the main issue for drones. How do they talk to each other and to the rest of us?

widgeon
27th Jan 2022, 16:46
It uses Jet A1 which is generally available globally.
If they can truck in fuel why would they need an aircraft to bring in small loads ?

nevillestyke
27th Jan 2022, 23:34
https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/26/22902351/elroy-air-chaparral-autonomous-vtol-electric-hybrid-cargo-plane
May be of interest to the aviation community.
And before someone else points it out, I too noticed that the only shots of it off the ground omit the cargo coffin.
Also, the only shots of it off the ground are in nil wind CAVOK conditions.

pilot9250
28th Jan 2022, 02:04
If they can truck in fuel why would they need an aircraft to bring in small loads ?

300lbs London to Manchester, super time critical but with a very small number of drops?

Fuel available either end.

Seems too small to be trunk and too expensive to be local.

Interesting concept, sure it will develop.

calypso
28th Jan 2022, 07:16
I can't wait to have lots of noisy drones buzzing over my head. It is going to make life so much more peaceful and enjoyable.If we are lucky maybe one will crash on the garden lawn from time to time.

procede
28th Jan 2022, 08:04
If you are really lucky one might land on your head. That should really solve all your problems.