PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Niugini Aviation crash in PNG today - PAC 750XL at Tekin - 26 Jan 2022

Kagamuga
26th Jan 2022, 06:53
Niugini Aviation have crashed a second PAC 750, P2-BWC, at Tekin today, 26 Jan 2022.

The 2nd PAC is almost parked along side the 1st crash. The damage is even worse. Pictures from the site suggest total write off damage.

Mumbai Merlin
26th Jan 2022, 07:03
One would hope that CASA PNG will ground the operation in the interests of safety.

The airstrip was closed by NOTAM,. If the company was going to inspect the first accident last week, a Helicopter would have been more a better decision.

I guess one of the Hevilift Mil-8's has a task ahead of them to lift the two aircraft back to base?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1200x1920/second_pac_crash_at_tekin_568f2e9165cc43c159d6d67ab5c5a757f0 ce29d8.jpg

Pinky the pilot
26th Jan 2022, 08:36
Surprised that the first wreck still appears to be intact.:ooh:

Thought the locals would have stripped it by now.:rolleyes:

geeup
27th Jan 2022, 00:40
Novel way to fly in spare parts

Ascend Charlie
27th Jan 2022, 01:10
The CAA Inspector wanted to be shown how it happened.

tail wheel
27th Jan 2022, 05:41
Looks like their web site www.niuginiaviation.com (http://www.niuginiaviation.com) has disappeared?

With PAC750XL P2-RNB at Golgubip in July 2014, that makes three PAC750 prangs.

An interesting article......... https://www.pngfacts.com/corruption-news/k55-million-kina-paid-to-niugini-aviationservices-ltd-for-aviation-services-to-westernprovince

Mumbai Merlin
27th Jan 2022, 06:44
In actual fact 'Tails' we must get all the ducks lined up....

Niugini Aviation bought out Mt Hagen based Central Air a year or so ago. (P2-BWC, P2-BWE, P2-BWF)

You are correct about about P2-RNB in year 2014, and yesterday's bull**** was a second for the aircraft (P2-BWC) after being damaged at Simbai in 2016.

They have a habit of not looking after aircraft. The company had a very nice Piper Cheyenne I, P2-OMH, which is now derelict at Cairns and used as a training aid.

The big question is; will they score at Trifecta with Port Moresby based PAC-750 P2-RNA ?

Was the pilot of the 2nd accident the same person as the 1st accident ?
​​​​​​​

Pinky the pilot
27th Jan 2022, 09:33
An interesting article......... https://www.pngfacts.com/corruption-...esternprovince (https://www.pngfacts.com/corruption-news/k55-million-kina-paid-to-niugini-aviationservices-ltd-for-aviation-services-to-westernprovince)

Why doesn't all of that surprise me?:rolleyes::ugh::{

And the bottom line is that whilst someone makes off with the dough,:mad:it's the poor old Villager/'Bush Kanaka' who no longer gets a regular air service such as many a young (and not so young) Pilot 'cut his teeth on'!

Struth.... but those days of the 'Dawn Patrol' into Kagi, Efogi, Dorobisoro, Bodinumu, Iaura, Kokoda, Manari, Manumu, Naoro, etc etc etbloodycetera.....:hmm:

Further comment escapes me...

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
27th Jan 2022, 12:33
I guess it saves flying engineers and spares to two sites. Good to see someone's thinking of the big picture!

tail wheel
27th Jan 2022, 19:21
Mumbai Merlin. Type endorsements, Route endorsements, Training and Checking could have been better during my 20 plus years in the country last century, but I understand now it is near non existent in PNG GA and even at airline level, may be corrupted and leaves something to be desired. How else does a B737 end up in the sea?

I am not familiar with Golgubip strip, but flying single engine, unpressurised aircraft in the Star Mountains area north of Kiunga is certainly not for the ill trained and uninitiated. Whilst there is no doubt one PT6 is far more reliable than a piston engine, that reliability is quickly negated if the manufacturer's maintenance schedule is not carried out to the letter! Tekin is also not a place for the ill trained and uninitiated; I suspect all three accidents were avoidable with better training and pilot judgment.

lucille
27th Jan 2022, 22:23
I’m surprised that you’re surprised.

Kagamuga
28th Jan 2022, 07:27
I'm thinking that CASA airworthiness might need to check and see if Pacific Aerospace mods had been complied with.

AD is: DCA/750XL/33A undercarriage bolts. Both accidents appear to have similar issues with U/C legs torn out.

Duck Pilot
28th Jan 2022, 10:00
I'm thinking that CASA airworthiness might need to check and see if Pacific Aerospace mods had been complied with.

AD is: DCA/750XL/33A undercarriage bolts. Both accidents appear to have similar issues with U/C legs torn out.

How dare you make the assumption that the regulator has overlooked the AD 😀😀😀

They know everything with regards to aviation in PNG apart from what’s going on outside of the six mile office!! Heard recently that WW left CASA PNG, immense amount of experience gone🤬🤬🤬🤬

Now that PAC have gone out of business, a PAC-750 will become a dinosaur - very sadly.

NZFlyingKiwi
28th Jan 2022, 17:19
How dare you make the assumption that the regulator has overlooked the AD 😀😀😀

They know everything with regards to aviation in PNG apart from what’s going on outside of the six mile office!! Heard recently that WW left CASA PNG, immense amount of experience gone🤬🤬🤬🤬

Now that PAC have gone out of business, a PAC-750 will become a dinosaur - very sadly.

PAC has actually been sold to new NZ based owners recently with the intent of continuing production; whether that actually happens remains to be seen of course.

Mumbai Merlin
4th Feb 2022, 21:04
Media release for 2nd accident

Duck Pilot
5th Feb 2022, 10:32
Are both the PACs flying again yet?

I flew my bent Twin Otter (P2-MCE) out of Gulgupib the day after I bent it😀

Thanks to a few engineers who knew how to do a makeshift repair! Flew it back to Moresby and it spent a few months in the hangar due to my mis-adventure pushing the limits in sh!t weather into a marginal airstrip at the best of times.

upacreek
5th Feb 2022, 16:16
Sounds like a good tale, more on that story please Duck pilot.

Kagamuga
20th Feb 2022, 23:59
Preliminary report - 1st accident - Jan 18th

Investigation | AIC (https://www.aic.gov.pg/investigation/779)

Duck Pilot
22nd Feb 2022, 02:04
Not sure if it’s a typo in the report, however the pilot’s command time is very low considering his/her total time.

I actually believe it could be correct as it’s not uncommon for some guys in PNG to stay in the right seat for most of their careers. Some of it also reflects on the operators, past and present where they don’t actively encourage or mentor junior pilots to gain the necessary attributes to move across to the left seat. More convenient to have them there as seat warmers to appease the regulator while old mate in the left seat does the single pilot thing when sh!t piles up! Not a good long term investment in training.

Kagamuga
22nd Feb 2022, 08:45
It would be closer to the truth to suggest there were a lot of National pilots whom in the early days, partied, clowned around, did not study, showed up late etc. I could name half a dozen who have nearly 10,000 hrs and precious little command time.
They simply did not want to put the time into furthering their career in a time honoured way. Work hard, study, stand out as a pilot deserving of a command.
I did my SCP/ATPL with Doug Driver at RQAC; there were 6 nationals in the class, flying islanders, C206, Baron. Not one passed even one subject. But the city bright lights and disco's took their money!
The 737 splash would be a good example! Take on board the total lack of understanding about the FMS ...........

The Preliminary for the 2nd prang is due on Friday 25th. If it is the same pilot; identity based upon age, and flight experience; then we have a dude and a company where Risk Analysis; Common sense and sheer stupidity ruled the day.
Now pass the "yellow pages" and lets look for a phone number of a Helicopter company nearby....

Twin Otter accident at crash at Wobagen? read the report; control lost on the departure roll ??? By the way, is the Otter still there?

Pinky the pilot
22nd Feb 2022, 09:08
but flying single engine, unpressurised aircraft in the Star Mountains area north of Kiunga is certainly not for the ill trained and uninitiated.

Agreed, Taily; But would you not agree that the same could/would/should apply to areas such as the Goilala?:hmm:
Wanna try Kamulai on a windy morning?:eek: Scared the brown stuff outa me on more than one occasion!:ooh:

Or any Mountainous region of the 'Land of the Unexpected', for that matter. Kaintiba, north of that blessed Malarial swamp called Kerema could be quite 'interesting' at times.:E

Kagamuga
25th Feb 2022, 09:04
Preliminary report - 2nd accident - Jan 26th

Investigation | AIC (https://www.aic.gov.pg/investigation/783)

Duck Pilot
25th Feb 2022, 09:40
The wrecks have obviously been removed from the flight strip as there are other operators flying back into Tekin now

Petropavlovsk
4th Jun 2022, 21:32
Has any of the two damaged PAC 750's been recovered and taken away for repair or are they being scrapped and abandoned?

PA18A150
5th Jun 2022, 10:22
Both aircraft were recovered back to Mt Hagen last week