PDA

View Full Version : Commercial training

Number Cruncher
24th Aug 2002, 01:16
OK guys. Sure you've heard it all before! However, i'm in the accountancy profession. I got my latest exam results yesterday and lets just say they weren't quite exactly what i had hoped for! In a way its a blessing in disguise as it has really given me the kick up the backside to get into what i really want to do...........fly planes!!

I'm no major academic and realise that the only way I'm going to get into this business is through self sponsorship. Come March 2003 i will hopefully have available to me the necessary funds required to take up commercial training, however, naturally as with anyone about to part with loads-a-dosh, i have some nagging questions in my mind, mainly being:

At the end of the course is there a possibility that i could just end up failing and have just blew away 50k down the drain?!

And, if i do get through, what is the likelihood that i will be able to gain employment with an airline/company?

And.......what would you all advise me to do? Bear in mind flying is something i've wanted to do since i was a wee nipper and all i can say to other wannabes is go for it as life is far to short to be doing the things that make us unhappy!

Your comments are much appreciated guys.

FRIDAY
24th Aug 2002, 02:06
Hey Number Cruncher, You and I and most other wannabes are in the same sitution, To invest that amount of money is quiet a commitment but one we all must do or forever be sorry.
You will read and hear various different routes to training and opininions on the market, but there simply is no defined way which will land you that job. People from all different types of training and FTO's have landed jobs so sit down and take a long think about whats best for you. Then its a case of your determination, market situation at the time and the right place at the right time scenario.
If you are dedicated enough you should not fail the course and then after that you do what you can to get that job. There have been plenty of pilots that have faced and are facing recruitment slow downs, the market changes for pilots from time to time but ever since I wanted to be a pilot at a young age I have known the path to career pilot was a difficult one.
You never mentioned what your doing modular or intergrated or where your going to train, but it really does'nt matter, you will soon find out there is sucessful and unfortunate students from every single FTO. This should tell you its all up to you and your personal abilities. Get started and don't look back, put your head down and work your nuts off and no doubt you and many others will get there eventually.