PDA

View Full Version : ASICs to now be issued by the feds

Roy Nolland
25th Jan 2022, 03:59
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and as many (read most) hate the ASIC system anyway this probably wont bother you. A communication has been sent to all ASIC issuing bodies (IBs) today advising that the government will be progressively closing all down and moving to the single government run system.
No more Veritas, AMS, Security ID or Aviation ID Australia. Not to mention all the major airports that also might have issued cards to local pilots and others requiring them.

The same is happening with MSICs as well.
I can't post a URL but just do a google search with "information for issuing bodies" look for the Home Affairs page. Don't know how long the information on this page has been up but basically the same as what the IBs received earlier.

If you think you had problems getting an ASIC before, wait until the public servants get there hands on the process.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about-us/our-portfolios/transport-security/identity/issuing-bodies

Clare Prop
25th Jan 2022, 09:48
Maybe back to the days when a bored security guard says for you to go and rummage around in some boxes and see if you can find your card, six months after you applied for it

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Jan 2022, 12:26
Or, like when being transferred from SY FSC to PH FSC, in '76, and I literally threw my then ID card into the bottom drawer of the Supervisor's filing cabinet, saying 'Sayonora.....Farewell....and Adieu'....

Little did I know that some 13 years later I was transferred back to SY FSC, temporarily, to assist, and on reporting to the 'Super' , he chastised me for not wearing my ID card......
Whereupon, I did the 'honourable' thing, opened the aforementioned bottom drawer, reached in,....and....VOILA!!

Put said ID card on, and......Even the 'Super' was impressed!!
What WAS it all about.....Alfie..??

Troo story.....

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
25th Jan 2022, 12:30
It does say "in partnership with industry". My understanding of the change was that Veritas had been chosen to be the sole issuing body, mostly because they are already issuing cards Australia wide and they have their partnership with Aus Post as facilitators. Brisbane Airport began the transition to having Veritas issue their ASICs a month or two ago. Maybe things have changed since AMS became CISC in the latest game of government scrabble. The Govt page is here (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about-us/our-portfolios/transport-security/identity/issuing-bodies) and is dated 25 Jan.

cameltruck
26th Jan 2022, 09:43
The question we all want to know is will the new issuer make the cost of a new ASIC cheaper for the life of it?

Late last year during lockdown, I suddenly remembered that my passport needed renewal and was expiring on the day. I went to the appropriate website and discovered the renewal procedures had changed and I needed to register into a new web portal which I did. I filled in the blanks and ticked all the requisite boxes after which the system sent me a form to take to the post office. I printed off the form, shaved off eight weeks of stubble then quickly rushed down to the post office. My photo was taken, the form was signed and money was exchanged. Three business days later my new passport arrived. Fortunately my red shaving rashes didn't show up in the passport photo.

Being impressed by all this is an understatement. The new system worked extremely efficiently. Hopefully the new ASIC issuing will be just as efficient, but hoping more that it's actually cheaper.

Later I found out that I actually had 14 days to renew my passport after printing out the form.

Ascend Charlie
27th Jan 2022, 04:29
For initial issue of the ASIC you need multiple papers, like passport, drivers' licence, Medicare card and note from your kindergarten teacher from 40 years ago.

Renewal should just be: take a new photo, confirm your address and lack of criminal charges, here it is.

But no, go through the whole show again, and the previous ASIC isn't even accepted.

Clare Prop
27th Jan 2022, 10:52
CASA "chose" an issuing body without putting it out to tender and making it look like that was the only option, I would hope that the feds wouldn't just "chose" Veritas without some kind of process.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
27th Jan 2022, 12:02
There was a process. Put one name in a hat, and get the work experience kid to draw it out. We have a winner!

Squawk7700
28th Jan 2022, 08:01
CASA "chose" an issuing body without putting it out to tender and making it look like that was the only option, I would hope that the feds wouldn't just "chose" Veritas without some kind of process.

The opening poster says it’s not Veritas and that it’s going internal. Is there another article on this somewhere?

Clare Prop
28th Jan 2022, 08:46
The opening poster says it’s not Veritas and that it’s going internal. Is there another article on this somewhere?
See post #4.

Roy Nolland
29th Jan 2022, 00:44
No other info so far. It does appear though that all issuing bodies are affected the same regardless of their place in the market. Be interesting to see how the likes of VA and QF react as they both do ASICs for all their employees and contractors.

There are genuine concerns how ASICs will continue to be made available in remote regions for those that need them. A centralised office run by public servants will make a dogs breakfast of this. A monopoly also usually results in higher prices.

triadic
29th Jan 2022, 04:34
The unintended consequences of the ASIC have never been addressed by the Government. Until they are, the requirement to have one at rural airports will continue to destroy GA.

SHVC
29th Jan 2022, 06:49
The thing that amuses me is at license aerodrome you must have a ASIC at these same aerodromes you don’t have to have security screening for pax. REX classic example Wagga, Griffith

Roy Nolland
29th Jan 2022, 23:25
Triadic,
unfortunately the Department has never given any consideration whatsoever to the impact of ASICs and other security measures on GA.

The thing that amuses me is at license aerodrome you must have a ASIC at these same aerodromes you don’t have to have security screening for pax. REX classic example Wagga, Griffith
At last count, there were 57 airports who were also in this category. Many of them because Rex flexed their muscle as they could have gone fully de-regulated.

The triggers for screening and ASIC display have always been different with ASICs required across the board at an airport that is security controlled.

On the bright side, a lot of small airports that were security controlled are now off the list i.e. Bankstown, Archerfield, Moorabbin, not that ASICs were ever required there but there were other onerous compliance requirements placed upon the operators. Plus a good number of remote airports that had one or two low capacity RPT services per week.

But we digress from the original thread here. I'll give some examples of how the current model works as opposed to what will likely happen.

An airport operator had to cease issuing a visitor card to a contractor as the 28 day rule had been exceeded meaning contractor couldn't get airside and critical maintenance couldn't be done. Airport contacted the issuing body, on a Saturday, and asked if the application for an ASIC could be submitted. In an hour, the paperwork was lodged, application for background check submitted and evidence provided therefore negating the 28 day rule and work could continue. or

Pilot loses their ASIC and needs another one ASAP. Upon receipt of a stat dec, a new card can be printed on the spot and re-issued.

All the issuing bodies I know of will work late, come in early or on weekends to clear back logs. Do a special one off print for replacement cards and make individual special trips to the post office for urgent requests etc.

Do you really think the feds will give a toss about any inconvenience to industry or have any motivation for providing a level of service? How will they facilitate a pilot based at Fitzroy Crossing, Walgett or Borroloola in getting their ASIC.

triadic
30th Jan 2022, 00:28
unfortunately the Department has never given any consideration whatsoever to the impact of ASICs and other security measures on GA.

Well, it is about time they did. This is not a security issue, but a political one.
The sad part is the number of votes in GA is small when compared with other "issues" and it is votes that give some push for the polies to do something. None of the representative organisations (eg AOPA RaAUS etc) that I am aware of have got together and lobbied on this subject, if they did it might make some difference.

Does CASA now require an ASIC in order to have a "digital licence"?? Depends who you talk with as to what the answer is. You certainly don't have to have an ASIC to hold a licence.

Clare Prop
30th Jan 2022, 14:12
Does CASA now require an ASIC in order to have a "digital licence"?? Depends who you talk with as to what the answer is. You certainly don't have to have an ASIC to hold a licence.

The only time CASA are involved is when a licence is applied for. They have no authority to ask to see if you have an ASIC as the requirement for a pilot licence holder to have a security check comes under the Aviation Transport Security Regulations.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
31st Jan 2022, 07:14
All the issuing bodies I know of will work late, come in early or on weekends to clear back logs. Do a special one off print for replacement cards and make individual special trips to the post office for urgent requests etc.
Wow! My local is business hours only (as long as your business closes at 1500 :bored:), Mon-Fri excl Public Holidays, and closed Xmas to NY break, and wouldn't get out of their chair if the place was on fire. Surliness is provided free of charge however!

BO0M
31st Jan 2022, 22:54
Honestly I can't see what everyone is complaining about. I did mine privately through Veritas in 2020 and it was very easy compared to the nonsense I went through at previous airlines.

triadic
1st Feb 2022, 02:48
Honestly I can't see what everyone is complaining about. I did mine privately through Veritas in 2020 and it was very easy compared to the nonsense I went through at previous airlines.

The issue is it is too expensive and does not last long enough - there is no equivalent for GA ops in the USA where all this started.

Maybe you can afford it, but there is many that can't. Many are leaving GA for many reasons but mainly the cost and the BS.

cameltruck
1st Feb 2022, 10:06
Maybe you can afford it, but there is many that can't.

I can't justify the cost of it for the relatively small amount of hours I fly per year at aerodromes where it's required. It just adds a sour taste to the overall experience.

Roy Nolland
1st Feb 2022, 11:23
The Department had a "Town Hall" meeting today to brief industry in what is occurring. The change is a fait accompli although it will likely take a couple of years for them to get systems in place. There was no representation from GA and they clearly didn't have a clue on how the change will affect the sector. I'd go so far as to say they don't really care.

Traffic,
My understanding of the change was that Veritas had been chosen to be the sole issuing body, mostly because they are already issuing cards Australia wide and they have their partnership with Aus Post as facilitators.
Nope they are out too. This also includes MSICs so there are potentially a lot of people going to be out of a job.

triadic
2nd Feb 2022, 01:39
The Department had a "Town Hall" meeting today to brief industry in what is occurring. The change is a fait accompli although it will likely take a couple of years for them to get systems in place. There was no representation from GA and they clearly didn't have a clue on how the change will affect the sector. I'd go so far as to say they don't really care.

Was there any mention of price/cost or validity period? Both likely to get worse if only one organisation doing it.....??

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
2nd Feb 2022, 21:41
MSIC....I would have thought calling it a CSIC would have been more apt.

Lead Balloon
3rd Feb 2022, 01:23
I vote for AMSICOFIT.