PDA

View Full Version : BAe 146s

chevvron
22nd Jan 2022, 17:56
Can't find my previous thread but as I predicted, all 4 BAe 146s belonging to 32 (Royal) Sqdn are to be disposed of with the 2 CCMk 2s going to museums at Duxrord and St Athan and the Mk 3s being sold off.
I'm aware that there is a leased A321 assigned to 'royal/government' use based at Stansted, but that would be a bit 'marginal' for Northolt's shortish runway so what is 32 Sqdn going to use; my earlier suggestion of a pair of A220s?

Lordflasheart
22nd Jan 2022, 20:56
Thanks for reminding us of that, Chevvy. One of the flyers would make a good RAFAT transport for their Circus, because of the continued, known, unmitigated risk to life for all Hawk back seat passengers, without front seat command ejection.

LFH

chevvron
22nd Jan 2022, 21:59
Thanks for reminding us of that, Chevvy. One of the flyers would make a good RAFAT transport for their Circus, because of the continued, known, unmitigated risk to life for all Hawk back seat passengers, without front seat command ejection.

LFH
Now you come to mention it, RAFAT often use a Hercules to transport bits 'n pieces to displays. When they are withdrawn what will they use, an Atlas?

Davef68
24th Jan 2022, 10:56
Interesting choice of Museums - not RAFM

Nantucket Sleighride
24th Jan 2022, 11:00
with regards to replacements, there was a tender out a while ago for a hybrid mil/civil solution that seemed to point towards something akin to a Global Express or two

hunty
24th Jan 2022, 12:25
Its been reported that ZE701 was delivered to Duxford today.

Nightstop
24th Jan 2022, 12:51
Video by Planes TV of the arrival available to view on YouTube.

Martin the Martian
24th Jan 2022, 13:23
Interesting choice of Museums - not RAFM

Probably 'not relevant', if the reasoning behind some of the airframes on their disposal list is anything to go by.

tubby linton
24th Jan 2022, 15:12
The museum’s Handley Page Herald is being evicted to make room for it apparently.

Nightstop
24th Jan 2022, 16:09
The museum’s Handley Page Herald is being evicted to make room for it apparently.

Oh really, to where? The Air UK Reunion folks meet up elsewhere (DH Museum) annually nowadays, is that the reason? Expelled!

tubby linton
24th Jan 2022, 19:02
The rumour mill says that it is going to Sunderland. Duxford is a large airfield so the Herald and the 146 could have been accommodated but the powers that be deemed that the Herald had to go.The less I say about some of the people at Sunderland is for the better.

chevvron
24th Jan 2022, 21:04
The rumour mill says that it is going to Sunderland. Duxford is a large airfield so the Herald and the 146 could have been accommodated but the powers that be deemed that the Herald had to go.The less I say about some of the people at Sunderland is for the better.
Apparently it was at the direction of the IWM; they didn't want too many civil aircraft there.

BEagle
24th Jan 2022, 23:47
[...]the continued, known, unmitigated risk to life for all Hawk back seat passengers, without front seat command ejection.

Only if briefings are inadequate and flight profiles are inappropriate. Passengers in the back on a straight medium level transit are safe enough - as they were in the Gnat. Far safer than in the Meteor 7 when they didn't even have a bang seat. Or Chipmunk or Tiger Moth, come to think of it.....

NutLoose
25th Jan 2022, 01:28

That was the aircraft the RAF should have got instead of that abortion of an aircraft the Andover.

Thunderbird167
25th Jan 2022, 09:20

Well I hope any issue you have with the people of Sunderland does not include myself and the volunteers at the North East Land, Sea and Air Museum.

For the record those that drive the rumour mill are completely wrong. I know where it is going and it is not NELSAM. I also know it is for DAS and the recipient museum to make the announcement. I also know that the new home, unlike NELSAM, is very relevant to telling the story of the Herald. It will bring the Herald to new audiences rather than having all three complete examples within 90 miles of each other.

I am yet to see any reasoned argument for the Herald to stay at Duxford beyond the "it should not move because we the Herald enthusiasts do not want to travel anywhere else to see it and there is plenty of space at Duxford for it". This is a great opportunity to preserve a special example of the last British designed and assembled airliner and to make the Herald accessible to new audiences.

Thunderbird167
25th Jan 2022, 09:44
Please do not believe the rumours spouted by a few Herald enthusiasts. There is no eviction it is going on loan to another museum and will still be owned by DAS. DAS have had the opportunity to add a BAe146 in the last few years and said no. The opportunity for this aircraft with its Royal use allows DAS to have an example of the last designed and built British Airliner. The DAS collection is the British Airliner Collection and not the British Civil Airliner Collection so a Royal Flight BAe146 is equally relevant.

Until the announcement of the gifting of the BAe146 there were only two of the family on display in the UK out of a production run of 380. By comparison there are 3 Heralds out of a total of 50. The statement that the Herald is more historic and rarer simply does not bear scrutiny.

Thunderbird167
25th Jan 2022, 09:48
Probably 'not relevant', if the reasoning behind some of the airframes on their disposal list is anything to go by.

Possibly because there is a desire to see well maintained ex RAF aircraft in some of the regional collections rather than just the National Collections.

Thunderbird167
25th Jan 2022, 09:49
Oh really, to where? The Air UK Reunion folks meet up elsewhere (DH Museum) annually nowadays, is that the reason? Expelled!

I would have thought Norwich Aircraft Museum with its ex Air UK Herald and F27 would be a good place for a reunion

Nightstop
26th Jan 2022, 17:34
The Duxford Herald is off to the Morayvia museum, Kinloss apparently. We won’t be going there, too cold and wet for us old folk.

N707ZS
26th Jan 2022, 22:49
Hope it fares better than the Elvington Herald.

Lima Juliet
27th Jan 2022, 11:08
The Duxford Herald is off to the Morayvia museum, Kinloss apparently. We won’t be going there, too cold and wet for us old folk.

Morayshire is lovely in the spring/summer/autumn and you can fly from Luton to Inverness with Sleazyjet for about 30 quid each way! :ok:

Fatjoff
27th Jan 2022, 11:35
The less I say about some of the people at Sunderland is for the better.

That's a rather scathing remark. Care to elaborate?

chevvron
27th Jan 2022, 11:57
That's a rather scathing remark. Care to elaborate?
Went to Sunderland once for a footy match against Fulham; locals all very pleasant; they had a burger van with sliced pork baps (ie not pulled pork) and they were very tasty.

Cat Techie
29th Jan 2022, 03:21
Can't find my previous thread but as I predicted, all 4 BAe 146s belonging to 32 (Royal) Sqdn are to be disposed of with the 2 CCMk 2s going to museums at Duxrord and St Athan and the Mk 3s being sold off.
I'm aware that there is a leased A321 assigned to 'royal/government' use based at Stansted, but that would be a bit 'marginal' for Northolt's shortish runway so what is 32 Sqdn going to use; my earlier suggestion of a pair of A220s?
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1080x1440/fb_img_1643429624727_88ac3b2fd704388e799fd2e6b010c17b1efe7dc 9.jpg
From a long time ago. With a military aircrew signature as well. My grandfather pointed him out and I knew whom he was then. Never asked him if he hated the nickname.

Cat Techie
29th Jan 2022, 03:32
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1080x1440/fb_img_1643429624727_88ac3b2fd704388e799fd2e6b010c17b1efe7dc 9.jpg
From a long time ago. With a military aircrew signature as well. My grandfather pointed him out and I knew whom he was then. Never asked him if he hated the nickname.

SWBKCB
29th Jan 2022, 07:53

Registered G-CMEU to AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE SERVICES LTD at an address in Lingfield on 27-01-2022. To allow servicable parts to be swopped off?

NutLoose
1st Feb 2022, 20:05
The other two 146’s has been acquired by Pionair Australia

https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/pionair-australia-to-acquire-two-surplus-royal-air-force-bae-146-transports/147334.article

Pionair Australia to acquire two surplus Royal Air Force BAe 146 transportsThe UK Royal Air Force (RAF) is poised to end operations with its British Aerospace BAe 146 transports, and has sold its two most recently acquired examples to a commercial operator in Australia.

NutLoose
22nd Feb 2022, 00:11
Reading in Flypast I think, the Aussies acquired all 4 but donated 2 to the museums, swopping out low houred engines for timex ones after delivery, so much for the RAF donating them, still think Cosford would have been better than Duxford.
article agrees with

Rigga
22nd Feb 2022, 14:32
I would have thought Norwich Aircraft Museum with its ex Air UK Herald and F27 would be a good place for a reunion

WOT!!! An Air UK reunion to go to Norwich???? yer 'arvin a LARF!!!

Herod
22nd Feb 2022, 15:29
The only reason to go to NWI was for a "hat on" interview. Avoid like the plague. In my time I was based at ABZ, HUY, LBA, STN, LBA (again) and STN (again). That'll do.