PDA

View Full Version : Good DAME in Darwin ?

Duck Pilot
21st Jan 2022, 03:52
Can anyone in Darwin recommend a good DAME ?

I’ve just heard that my previous DAME who I’ve used for years in Nightcliff has retired. I believe most of the Darwin pilot cohort went to him and it will be sad to see him retire.

CFD
21st Jan 2022, 04:09
Absolutely.... I have done 3 class ones with Dr Dimitri Andropov.... he was instrumental in me regaining a class one medical after it had been cancelled by CASA due to an injury.
He is very easy to talk too, very supportive and a long time local... I also believe he is the Qantas port doctor. He works at Territory medical group

Phone: (08) 8948 4333

Hope this helps

Capt Fathom
21st Jan 2022, 09:57
Could someone define what a ‘good DAME’ means? It comes up so often. :confused:

grizzled
21st Jan 2022, 17:11
Could someone define what a ‘good DAME’ means? It comes up so often. :confused:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. For me (back in the days when I needed my medical) it meant a doctor who took his / her role as an aviation medical examiner seriously. There were many who didn't, and treated the exam as a bureaucratic box-ticking exercise, including a well-known DAME who was the choice of those who didn't want to be closely examined. He was so lax that he regularly missed obvious issues and, in the case of a close friend and colleague, that incompetence resulted in a nasty cancer diagnosis being missed for too long.

Duck Pilot
21st Jan 2022, 17:44
The above post has pretty much summed up what a “good” DAME should be in my opinion, some commentators here may have different views…..

I had a condition picked up a few years ago during a Class 1 medical, that probably would not have been identified as being potentially serious if I had not being doing Class 1 medicals. The issue was reported to CASA and still is monitored regularly without any problems. It’s probably saved me problems in later life as I’m on regular medication to address the issue as a preventative measure.

Thanks to the person who answered my question in the second post.

lucille
21st Jan 2022, 20:54
You’re mistaking a medical examination for specific purpose with one which is a complete health check. Go see your GP for the latter.

A good DAME is one with plenty of practical experience. Lord knows it’s stressful enough to put your livelihood on the line every 12 months (6 in the old days). I doubt you’ll find a “bad” DAME anywhere these days.

In all my years, I have only come across two duds. Both of whom had zero experience in the business. One had the nickname of Dr. Death among the pilot community and was to be avoided at all costs.

But for a “thorough” medical examination , you can’t go past the 3 day CAAC initial medical examination for foreign pilots. Suffice to say, no orifice is left unexplored.

CFD
22nd Jan 2022, 11:43
The above post has pretty much summed up what a “good” DAME should be in my opinion, some commentators here may have different views…..

I had a condition picked up a few years ago during a Class 1 medical, that probably would not have been identified as being potentially serious if I had not being doing Class 1 medicals. The issue was reported to CASA and still is monitored regularly without any problems. It’s probably saved me problems in later life as I’m on regular medication to address the issue as a preventative measure.

Thanks to the person who answered my question in the second post.

You are most welcome.... I was a bit taken aback by by some replies..... I am not suggesting the DAME i recommended is a box ticker...... he has spent a lot of extra time working with me to help get my medical back.... also working with CASA or at least explaining what info I would need to provide..... my reinstatement of medical was thoroughly reviewed by CASA and had to go through a board of doctors and took several months to jump through the hoops that CASA required (not to mention the expense) .... but Dr Andropov helped me navigate through the process. I was grateful as CASA had suspended my medical 10 years previously and it was not easy to get it back.... but I have now had 3 renewals with no restrictions. For me a good DAME will work with you, explain any issues and also coordinate with CASA where required..... nothing complicated, also what I would generally call a good Doctor.