PDA

View Full Version : Enstrom Helicopters 2022

chopper2004
19th Jan 2022, 21:43
I saw this posted on Enstrom Helicopters FB group page and not sure what to make of it if it’s even true.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/719x844/3df90718_389c_457e_bbcd_10446848ff94_06342b39bac951bd42cc32c 7e636a242fea20865.jpeg

I hope it is not going to happen.

cheers

FH1100 Pilot
20th Jan 2022, 00:19
As Madeline Kahn said (in "Blazing Saddles") it's twoo, it's twoo!
Menominee’s Enstrom Helicopter closing, filing for bankruptcy (uppermichiganssource.com) (https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/2022/01/19/enstrom-helicopter-corporation-filing-bankruptcy/?fbclid=IwAR3VKbfhmY1_8CUvW_oQdJqibG_6Dss5sZy-597rlB07yVOo1LihDeVt8UI)

Agile
20th Jan 2022, 00:50
Its Never happy to see that, a good safe product, some good jobs, and probably good value for many customers.

It makes you wonder what has lead to that, lack of capital, lack of inovation, or lack of new products?

Agile
20th Jan 2022, 01:04
if you have an Enstron parts machine, its time to raise your price.

Bell_ringer
20th Jan 2022, 07:31
Surprised they lasted this long. There couldn’t be a less “cool” aircraft to own, Robbie killed their market and it was a standing joke that they spent more time in maintenance than the air.
Next one hanging on by its fingernails is MD.

FLY 7
21st Jan 2022, 11:50
That's a shame. My experience of Enstrom products has been very good - the current EN480B is an excellent entry-level turbine and trainer, with lots of qualities that I would rate above the R66 and B505.
The problem is that, in today's world, it has been run as a small company - almost a cottage industry - and the product was worthy of much better and more dynamic management progression.
Hopefully, 'Chapter 7' makes it more attractive for potential purchasers to acquire the business, and any new parentage takes Rudi Enstrom's clever innovation onwards and upwards.

Gustosomerset
21st Jan 2022, 16:02
Surprised they lasted this long. There couldn’t be a less “cool” aircraft to own, Robbie killed their market and it was a standing joke that they spent more time in maintenance than the air.
Next one hanging on by its fingernails is MD.
Do you mean both piston and turbine engined Enstroms? Have to agree with FLY7 that, in my limited experience, the 480B is both pretty cool and very safe - unlike some others that (as discussed ad nauseam) tend to kill more pilots than markets.

aa777888
21st Jan 2022, 17:26
Pilots kill helicopters. Helicopters don't kill pilots (except in very rare instances).

Enstrom has produced 1,300 helicopters in it's entire history. Robinson over 12,000. Say what you want about Robinson, but they must be doing something right. While I would like nothing more than to be flying around in an AS350B3, or a 407GXi, I am extraordinarily pleased with the performance, comfort and economics of the R44. There is an Enstrom 28F that is kept in the same hangar as my R44. The Enstrom is always in maintenance, rarely flies, and obtaining MX is an ordeal compared to the plethora of Robinson MX shops. Putting three in it is another kind of ordeal, four is, of course, not possible.

While there is much to like about the Enstrom rotorhead and control system, that is probably the only good thing about it. Swinging those three blades around is asking a lot for a small Lycoming. Even with the complexity of turbocharging, performance suffers dramatically at max. gross weight compared to the R22. We see some of that same issue in the Cabri G2, but of course the Cabri employs much more modern technology and is only a little less powerful than the R22. In either case, how can the Enstrom design compete?

Poor design and management also kill helicopters. The company was always a hobby time affair, passing through the hands of so many owners, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enstrom_Helicopter_Corporation) none of whom were ever successful in motivating a marketable design. Dean Kamen came close with the 480, but a cabin perfect for low cost training became a bizarre aberration in an attempt to sell it commercially when the military didn't want it. Perhaps he was too distracted by his other failure, the Segway, which was occurring at the same time, to really take the 480 where it needed to be. Again, market share tells a story. 250 480's total since 2000. 1000 R66 since 2007. And 505 production is banging right along at 200+ since 2015, perhaps it will ultimately overtake the R66. I don't have the data, but it is easy to suspect that 480B production fell into the low single digits per year when the R66 was released. With both the R66 and 505 available the 480 was and is as doomed as the 28 and 280.

Perhaps the company will change hands again and the new owners will be more visionary. But the new vision would have to be very compelling in some way given Robinson and Bell's lock on the low end market.

Robbiee
21st Jan 2022, 18:03
All I know is that when I flew a 280 a couple years ago, the collective felt like trying to lift a 50 lbs dumbell.

As with the Cabri and Schweizer though,... Why would I pay more money to fly what is is essentially just another two-seat piston, when I can simply fly an R22 instead?

Bell_ringer
21st Jan 2022, 18:11
All I know is that when I flew a 280 a couple years ago, the collective felt like trying to lift a 50 lbs dumbell.

Not bad considering it was trying to lift a 200lbs dumbell :E

Robbiee
21st Jan 2022, 18:14
Not bad considering it was trying to lift a 200lbs dumbell :E

Ok I'll give you that one. :ok:

nomorehelosforme
21st Jan 2022, 19:21
I wonder what a certain Dennis Kenyon would have to say about this?

Gustosomerset
21st Jan 2022, 22:43

As with the Cabri and Schweizer though,... Why would I pay more money to fly what is is essentially just another two-seat piston, when I can simply fly an R22 instead?
Each to his own, of course but would you apply the same logic to, for example, choosing a car? I’m not sure that cheapness and market share are generally the way we judge ‘best to drive/fly/own’.

Arnie Madsen
22nd Jan 2022, 02:41
I wonder what a certain Dennis Kenyon would have to say about this?

I was thinking the same thing ... (probably doing loops in the grave)

Hopefully a young ... (Dennis Kenyon type person) ... can take over Enstrom support ... similar to Scotts-Bell-47 .... but on a smaller scale.

Agile
22nd Jan 2022, 03:51
Perhaps the company will change hands again and the new owners will be more visionary. But the new vision would have to be very compelling in some way given Robinson and Bell's lock on the low end market.
Intresting points you mentioned in your post, it ilustrates the reason this is such a distressed asset.
I would assume that the Enstom PISTON F-28F & 280FX and the TURBINE 480B are not part of that vision you are calling for.
1st: because indeed more modern tech is needed; (aka: composite, modern avionics as part of the design, and yes engine modernization). I am not talking all the way to Hills helicopters but more like a Cabri.
2nd: because they tried to design sucessfull off-child so many times in the course the ownership transitions, 280 Shark, 280L Hawk ... its not working.
3rd: look at the people who acquired the schweizer type certificate "Schweizer RSG" well it does not feel like a blockbuster operation.
Assume that you had the few millions to acquire the Enstrom organization, I would have to sit and think quite a bit to figure out the new business course.

FLY 7
22nd Jan 2022, 09:21
I was thinking the same thing ... (probably doing loops in the grave)
Hopefully a young ... (Dennis Kenyon type person) ... can take over Enstrom support ... similar to Scotts-Bell-47 .... but on a smaller scale.

You're right. Dennis was a motivated advocate of the Enstrom products, and his enthusiasm lead to a lot of sales in the '70s, '80s, '90s....

Latterly, whilst I'm sure Enstrom employed some well meaning, dedicated personnel, it appeared more like a small family business than a forward pressing brand. Still think that the 480B is the 'diamond in the rough,' with the most potential, as a safe, easy, turbine trainer (for which it was designed), or private owner use.

Dennis Kenyon

meleagertoo
22nd Jan 2022, 10:53
Reading that letter I'm horrified at the treatment of their staff. Has the FBI been told a mass murder is planned?

aa777888
22nd Jan 2022, 14:21
Intresting points you mentioned in your post, it ilustrates the reason this is such a distressed asset.
I would assume that the Enstom PISTON F-28F & 280FX and the TURBINE 480B are not part of that vision you are calling for.
1st: because indeed more modern tech is needed; (aka: composite, modern avionics as part of the design, and yes engine modernization). I am not talking all the way to Hills helicopters but more like a Cabri.
Assume that you had the few millions to acquire the Enstrom organization, I would have to sit and think quite a bit to figure out the new business course.
Enstrom has already embraced modern tech inside the cockpit. The put the G1000 avionics suite into the 480B (https://enstromhelicopter.com/2014/10/celebrating-delivery-of-the-first-model-480b-g/) back in 2014, effectively before Bell did it with the 505. And while I've never personally sat in a late model Enstrom, I've read that the quality of the interior fit and finish is quite high, nothing like the older machines.

Nevertheless, it would take a clean sheet of paper to make them competitive. Dump the pistons, concentrate on a successor to the 480B. Lose the grease gun and nitrogen bottle, add some real luggage space and 4 conventional seating positions, and add hydraulics. Keep the rotorhead and blade system, obviously, since that's the crown jewel of their engineering portfolio. Add a pilot operable blade fold kit so it can fit in the same space as the competition. Keep the flat floor of the 505, the high level of standard interior finish of the R66, and the superior full fuel payload and range of the R66. Avoid anything inelegant like the 505 tail weights.

Hot and Hi
22nd Jan 2022, 17:38
Would such a helicopter require a new type certification?

aa777888
22nd Jan 2022, 17:54
Would such a helicopter require a new type certification?
Can't see how it would not. It would be a pretty big change from the existing 480B.

Agile
23rd Jan 2022, 04:54
Nevertheless, it would take a clean sheet of paper to make them competitive. Dump the pistons, concentrate on a successor to the 480B. Lose the grease gun and nitrogen bottle, add some real luggage space and 4 conventional seating positions, and add hydraulics. Keep the rotorhead and blade system, obviously, since that's the crown jewel of their engineering portfolio. Add a pilot operable blade fold kit so it can fit in the same space as the competition. Keep the flat floor of the 505, the high level of standard interior finish of the R66, and the superior full fuel payload and range of the R66. Avoid anything inelegant like the 505 tail weights.

Yes on all counts, now I am getting excited.

jimjim1
23rd Jan 2022, 05:40
Dean Kamen .. Perhaps he was too distracted by his other failure, the Segway

Or maybe one of his other "over 1,000 patents".

Or his infusion pump business or his iBot wheelchair business, or his dialysis work or ...

Dean Kamen has had more successes and failures than I have had hot dinners.

Bell_ringer
23rd Jan 2022, 07:41
it would take a clean sheet of paper to make them competitive. Dump the pistons, concentrate on a successor to the 480B. Lose the grease gun and nitrogen bottle, add some real luggage space and 4 conventional seating positions, and add hydraulics. Keep the rotorhead and blade system, obviously, since that's the crown jewel of their engineering portfolio. Add a pilot operable blade fold kit so it can fit in the same space as the competition. Keep the flat floor of the 505, the high level of standard interior finish of the R66, and the superior full fuel payload and range of the R66. Avoid anything inelegant like the 505 tail weights.

While easy to say, the reality of a clean-sheet, certified helicopter is much more complicated.
The time, effort and money required is immense, that's before you consider re-tooling, re-certifying people etc.
Without volume or defense funding, it is beyond the grasp of a small business.
Even Robinson won't clean-sheet an aircraft, it's cheaper and more practical to live with the flaws and evolve it - they at least have a market.
In engineering you can't polish a turd, you can only cover it with glitter.

Enstrom were stuck in a narrowing niche, in a struggling industry, with neither the funds nor vision to change.
There will be further contraction in the rotary market, it is unavoidable.

Hot and Hi
23rd Jan 2022, 08:56
Can't see how it would not. It would be a pretty big change from the existing 480B.
Agree. So it’s a non starter, as other have pointed out here earlier.

Let’s rather think what an investor can do with the remaining assets and goodwill (that is, in particular the Type Certificate for the 480).

aa777888
23rd Jan 2022, 11:41
Agree. So it’s a non starter, as other have pointed out here earlier.

Let’s rather think what an investor can do with the remaining assets and goodwill (that is, in particular the Type Certificate for the 480).
Yes, exactly, just as you say and BR alludes to.

Can't think of how they can save the 480 or evolve it into anything that would be successful in the marketplace, unfortunately.

aa777888
23rd Jan 2022, 11:59
Or maybe one of his other "over 1,000 patents".

Or his infusion pump business or his iBot wheelchair business, or his dialysis work or ...

Dean Kamen has had more successes and failures than I have had hot dinners.
That would not appear to be the case. Patents are merely pieces of paper framed on the wall. Most are useless unless economically exploitable. He's had exactly three successes: the first infusion pump, the dialysis patents, and the insulin pump. Those three things were indeed great successes, changed many peoples lives, and made him very wealthy. That wealth allowed him to continue to dabble in areas of engineering that have not proven profitable regardless of their public appeal. He's clearly an outstanding salesman, but since the original three medical device windfalls he has not actually achieved any commercial success. I've met some ex-DEKA employees. All told me he hired only the young and romantic and paid them peanuts. His FIRST science program is a huge scam when I was peripherally involved one year. When I was involved it was an "everybody gets a trophy" program, and the winning teams generally have most of the work done for them by adults and the infusion of cubic dollars, i.e. only wealthy school communities win. And the entire thing made a fortune for the owners of the original Small Parts, Inc. (not to be confused by another company of the same name). I think the old company closed their doors after their fortune was made.

Robbiee
23rd Jan 2022, 23:22
Each to his own, of course but would you apply the same logic to, for example, choosing a car? I’m not sure that cheapness and market share are generally the way we judge ‘best to drive/fly/own’.

​​​​​​The car in which I learn how to drive,...yes. The car I rent while on vacation,...yes.

The car I own (like the helicopter I would buy if I were rich) I'd base on looks and how fun it is to operate. That's why I own a Trans Am and would love to own an R22.

Rockhound
25th Jan 2022, 13:53
It's sad to see Enstrom closing its doors for good. I'm a geologist and in 1982 we used a 280C (from Les Hélicoptères Verreault, now defunct, I believe) for geological survey work between Baker Lake and Chantrey Inlet on the northern Canadian mainland. It worked fine and as I remember was well-liked by the pilots. As to the Robinson, one pilot I knew from another year recounted how he'd been invited to test fly a Robinson (model?), did so, and was so frightened swore he would never set foot in one again. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Rockhound

cameltruck
26th Jan 2022, 08:02
​​​​​​That's why I own a Trans Am and would love to own an R22.

Robbiee must be David Hasselhoff, or at least when the sun glasses are on. :ok:

RMK
26th Jan 2022, 09:41
It's sad to see Enstrom closing its doors for good. I'm a geologist and in 1982 we used a 280C (from Les Hélicoptères Verreault, now defunct, I believe) for geological survey work between Baker Lake and Chantrey Inlet on the northern Canadian mainland. It worked fine and as I remember was well-liked by the pilots. As to the Robinson, one pilot I knew from another year recounted how he'd been invited to test fly a Robinson (model?), did so, and was so frightened swore he would never set foot in one again. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Rockhound

This is the most vapid post I've seen on here. "I flew in one 40 years ago and the pilot said it was good" followed by a "I knew a guy that said" statement. WTF?

Ascend Charlie
26th Jan 2022, 19:10
Well, how about this:

I flew an Enstrom for about 10 hours 33 years ago. It was the worst of the 22 aircraft types I have flown, and the ONLY type that I would never want to be in again. Rattly, flimsy, engine wouldn't re-start until it had cooled right down, couldn't even maintain height if the turbo failed.

Dennis at Enstrom
4th Feb 2022, 17:53
Its Never happy to see that, a good safe product, some good jobs, and probably good value for many customers.

It makes you wonder what has lead to that, lack of capital, lack of inovation, or lack of new products?

Lack of capital led to a lack of new products and a lack of marketing. This in turn led to a lack of capital, which led...you get the idea. It's a classic death spiral. We warned our ownership this was going to happen, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears in China. They refused to invest in the company and instead funded it with debt. The result was they lost their company, we lost our jobs, and the aircraft owners are left holding the bag.

I've got pictures of the new glass cockpits we were designing. I've flown the F28/280 throttle governor (makes an easy helicopter to fly stupid easy to fly). I've got emails with companies ready to kick off new aircon systems and discussing autopilot STC's. I've got a full social media and marketing plan.We had millions of dollars in parts sales, and were working on multiple new aircraft contracts. The will was there, just not the way.

The good news is that there's a number of groups competing to buy the assets out of bankruptcy and restart the company. If they do even 1/4 of what they are promising, it's going to be great for Enstrom owners and fans. Keep the faith.

Dennis Martin
(they guy who signed the letter in the original post)

Agile
5th Feb 2022, 02:37
Lack of capital led to a lack of new products and a lack of marketing. This in turn led to a lack of capital, which led...you get the idea. It's a classic death spiral. We warned our ownership this was going to happen, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears in China. They refused to invest in the company and instead funded it with debt. The result was they lost their company, we lost our jobs, and the aircraft owners are left holding the bag. .... The good news is that there's a number of groups competing to buy the assets out of bankruptcy and restart the company. If they do even 1/4 of what they are promising, it's going to be great for Enstrom owners and fans. Keep the faith.

Thanks for closing the loop for us, Sincerely hoping for a transition that leads to better things for all of you.

MLH
5th Feb 2022, 06:57
I hope it works out, I love my 280C.

discap
19th Feb 2022, 14:19
I own a 480 B and use it as a private owner. I looked at all of the usual suspects before buying it. I always assumed that I would buy a MD 500. What I found in my research was interesting. My main goal was cross country travel.

1. There is no comparison in comfort. The Enstrom has real seats. All of the others you sit on a box with a cushion. I’m a big guy and found the MD horribly uncomfortable. He 206 is legendary with chiropractors. The R44 isn’t any better.

2. There is no comparison in operating costs. Robinson was probably the most expensive, considering how the ship was to be used. 100 hrs/hr. The Enstrom has 3 calendar items, the TT straps. There are less than a dozen Hobbs limited items on the airframe. Most items are “on condition “ including the blades. I just finished my third annual, I had a loose belt and a loose cable. Last annual was similar.

3. When properly set up it will fly hands off as long as most airplanes. You can’t take your hands off a Robbie stick. Yes the cyclic is heavy. It’s also heavy n a MD600. The thing is you don’t fly it by tugging on he stick, you use the trim. If you use the trim you don’t feel the weight, same on the MD. It’s not for mustering cattle it’s for comfortable traveling. Also no hydraulic system to break and maintain.

4. It’s smooth. Again I’m traveling in it. The Robbie and 206 are not. Too much 2 per. MD is nice. The 3 per is damped by dampers on the controls and tail.

5. Although unorthodox, the seating configurations are great. There is way more leg room for the “rear seat” passengers than the Robbie and certainly the MD. The straight 206 is close. If you don’t need the seat, then fold them up out of the way. Believe me it only looks weird.

6. It’s not good for shooting hogs out of. Only one door/gunner at a time.

7. My wife and I carry our golf clubs in it, in he baggage compartment not the cabin. Try that in anything else.

8. They are heavy. My useful load is 1100 lbs. With 3.5 hours of fuel that’s only 500 lbs in cabin. Not sure how this compares.

9. Although not IFR they are a great instrument platform. Vey stable and easy to fly.

10. Much slower than Robbie. I plan on 110 kts at 185 lbs/hr @ 2000 agl. I have a G500H that displays true airspeed.

11. You don’t have to slow down in turbulence. (Yes,I know I’m already going slow.😕)

12.. No exposed pitch connecting rods. This, believe it or not is a biggie for me. I fly around a lot of big birds, geese and buzzards. They scare me in a 206. History has shown that it’s not a significant factor. I don’t want to find out. Also probably not as effective as wire cutters, but there are plenty of Enstrom pilots who have hit wires then backed off of them.

okay I’ll get off my soapbox now. The 480B is a great helicopter for traveling. It is also has the lowest cost of maintenance for the private owner (no comment on training).

Bill

Robbiee
19th Feb 2022, 18:35
I own a 480 B and use it as a private owner. I looked at all of the usual suspects before buying it. I always assumed that I would buy a MD 500. What I found in my research was interesting. My main goal was cross country travel.

1. There is no comparison in comfort. The Enstrom has real seats. All of the others you sit on a box with a cushion. I’m a big guy and found the MD horribly uncomfortable. He 206 is legendary with chiropractors. The R44 isn’t any better.

2. There is no comparison in operating costs. Robinson was probably the most expensive, considering how the ship was to be used. 100 hrs/hr. The Enstrom has 3 calendar items, the TT straps. There are less than a dozen Hobbs limited items on the airframe. Most items are “on condition “ including the blades. I just finished my third annual, I had a loose belt and a loose cable. Last annual was similar.

3. When properly set up it will fly hands off as long as most airplanes. You can’t take your hands off a Robbie stick. Yes the cyclic is heavy. It’s also heavy n a MD600. The thing is you don’t fly it by tugging on he stick, you use the trim. If you use the trim you don’t feel the weight, same on the MD. It’s not for mustering cattle it’s for comfortable traveling. Also no hydraulic system to break and maintain.

4. It’s smooth. Again I’m traveling in it. The Robbie and 206 are not. Too much 2 per. MD is nice. The 3 per is damped by dampers on the controls and tail.

5. Although unorthodox, the seating configurations are great. There is way more leg room for the “rear seat” passengers than the Robbie and certainly the MD. The straight 206 is close. If you don’t need the seat, then fold them up out of the way. Believe me it only looks weird.

6. It’s not good for shooting hogs out of. Only one door/gunner at a time.

7. My wife and I carry our golf clubs in it, in he baggage compartment not the cabin. Try that in anything else.

8. They are heavy. My useful load is 1100 lbs. With 3.5 hours of fuel that’s only 500 lbs in cabin. Not sure how this compares.

9. Although not IFR they are a great instrument platform. Vey stable and easy to fly.

10. Much slower than Robbie. I plan on 110 kts at 185 lbs/hr @ 2000 agl. I have a G500H that displays true airspeed.

11. You don’t have to slow down in turbulence. (Yes,I know I’m already going slow.😕)

12.. No exposed pitch connecting rods. This, believe it or not is a biggie for me. I fly around a lot of big birds, geese and buzzards. They scare me in a 206. History has shown that it’s not a significant factor. I don’t want to find out. Also probably not as effective as wire cutters, but there are plenty of Enstrom pilots who have hit wires then backed off of them.

okay I’ll get off my soapbox now. The 480B is a great helicopter for traveling. It is also has the lowest cost of maintenance for the private owner (no comment on training).

Bill

Makes you wonder why the R44 is the best selling civilian helicopter while Enstrom went belly up?

discap
19th Feb 2022, 19:30
Forgot to mention, Enstrom will be back up and running soon, with American owners.

md 600 driver
19th Feb 2022, 20:28
Forgot to mention, Enstrom will be back up and running soon, with American owners.
that is great news

Hot and Hi
20th Feb 2022, 05:53
It is so refreshing to hear Discap's private owner perspective! The 480B is indeed a very viable machine. It goes to show that to a large degree smoothness and reliability of a helicopter depend on having a good mechanic to look after your machine.

That of course applies to other helicopter types too. I can assure you that a well-balanced Robbie can fly as smooth and without annoying or tiresome vibrations as any 3-bladed helicopter that I have been in (H269, EN28, EH48, Cabri G2, AS341). I agree though that the rotor head, and the overall weight, make the 480B less susceptible to turbulence than it's two-bladed hangar companions.

How does 3.5 HRS of fuel and 500 lbs in the cabin compare? Well, out of all the machines you mentioned, only the R66 can carry 3.5 HRS of fuel at all.

While you correctly say that the 480B is not your typically cattle mustering machine, Dennis Kenyon has shown us that it is nonetheless highly manoeuvrable:

https://youtu.be/yGn-0xtM8Jg
https://youtu.be/n5XT_XdVAeA

KiwiNedNZ
20th Feb 2022, 18:21
When Steve Daniels was the VP of Marketing there I did a couple of air to air shoots with them and used the 480B as the camera ship and have to say it was one of the smoothest helos I have shot from.

Hughes500
21st Feb 2022, 17:37
Hot and Hi

God darn I will have to check one of my 500's it carries with its Chadwick add tank just over 100 gallons of fuel with a burn of 25 gallons an hour at around 125 kts so that is a bit more than 3.5 hours !

MLH
14th Mar 2022, 16:45
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/enstrom-finds-new-owner/?MailingID=848&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=New+Owners+For+Enstrom%2C+Joby+Crash+Update&utm_campaign=New+Owners+For+Enstrom%2C+Joby+Crash+Update-Monday%2C+March+14%2C+2022

Agile
15th Mar 2022, 05:12
Press conference from the new owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXG_FZDKLAg

Hot and Hi
16th May 2022, 14:12
Not quite!

https://verticalmag.com/press-releases/enstrom-helicopter-under-new-and-stable-ownership/

Matt Francour, president & CEO of Enstrom, said, “Earlier this year, it looked as if MidTex Aviation would step in and buy Enstrom, but when they had unexpected problems securing the funding, Chuck was able to step in and save the company, which ended a lot of sleepless nights here for us in Michigan!”

RotorKraft
17th May 2022, 09:37
I saw this posted on Enstrom Helicopters FB group page and not sure what to make of it if it’s even true.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/719x844/3df90718_389c_457e_bbcd_10446848ff94_06342b39bac951bd42cc32c 7e636a242fea20865.jpeg

I hope it is not going to happen.

cheers

Any good news on the Enstrom front?

Cheers

Hot and Hi
17th May 2022, 13:24
Yes, see the post directly above yours.

Tango and Cash
17th May 2022, 16:32
Change of plans: Surack Buys Enstrom Helicopter | Business Aviation News: Aviation International News (ainonline.com) (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-05-15/surack-buys-enstrom-helicopter)

"Indiana-based Surack Enterprises announced on Friday that it acquired Enstrom Helicopter, which filed for Chapter 7 liquidation bankruptcy and shuttered operations (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-01-20/enstrom-helicopters-shutters-files-bankruptcy) in January. Menominee, Michigan-based Enstrom was in near-continuous operation for 64 years, manufacturing more than 1,300 light turbine and piston-powered helicopters for police, military, commercial, and private missions.
A previously-announced deal to sell the company’s assets to Midlothian, Texas-based (https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-01-20/enstrom-helicopters-shutters-files-bankruptcy)MidTex Aviation (http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2022-03-10/new-owner-reopen-enstrom-helicopter) in March collapsed. "

Hot and Hi
20th May 2022, 18:44
Hot and Hi

God darn I will have to check one of my 500's it carries with its Chadwick add tank just over 100 gallons of fuel with a burn of 25 gallons an hour at around 125 kts so that is a bit more than 3.5 hours !
Hughes500, is that US gallon, or Imperial gallon? In other words, what is the fuel burn in liters?