PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Happened To The Biennial Flight Review?

poteroo
23rd Aug 2002, 22:20
IT BECAME THE AEROPLANE FLIGHT REVIEW!

Busy in my office copying off all the paperwork for these things, and wondering what bright spark in CASA decided that the BFR had to become the AFR?

I'm unable to see any logic in it at all. What's the point in defining it as an 'aeroplane' when that's what most of us fly. Yes, it could be a 'helicopter', but most instructors and pilots have a fair idea of what it is they are going out to fly.

The term 'biennial' correctly names just what this flight review actually is. The term 'aeroplane' does not, but isn't it such a quaint old bit of terminology? I - fly - an - aeroplane - from - an - aerodrome..... give it a break, this stuff has all but disappeared into flying history along with goggles and gloves. Guess it fits the 'old service' mould and mindset that exists in the depths of CASA?

What do you think? And do you, as PPL's and juniour CPL's, actually get any benefit out of your BFR/AFR?

cheers,

trashie
24th Aug 2002, 13:16
RV6-VNE,
I share your concerns about the BFR/AFR, or what ever.

Is it a quick 15 minutes of flapless. glide and normal circiuts or does it really assess a pilot's proficiency (not currency)
over an hour or so of flying.

What pilot's ratings or endorsements are really tested.
Does a NVFR pilot really get tested on instrument flying and remote airfield approaches and night illusions, etc.

Pilots who fly minimum annual hours should, in my view, should be tested annually.

There again, how many pilots actually want to develop their skills and knowlewdge after graduating.

Cheers,
;) :) :cool: :D

flipside
24th Aug 2002, 20:50
Any check at that level is a good and necessary check (who cares what you call it)

flyforfun
28th Aug 2002, 11:52
I have just completed my A.F.R and really enjoyed the experience.
In 1.2 hours we conducted a CTAF entry, CTA work (into Essendon from 3,500') and a couple of circuits back at home base.
Flying with an Instructor (in this case the CFI) with alot more experience than me I find rewarding in that I will always learn something. It is not so important what it is called, as what is learnt from the experience. As a PPL who flies 50-70 hours a year I consider myself reasonably current (in PPL terms anyway) but always look forward to flying with someone who has more experience than me.

Icarus2001
28th Aug 2002, 23:36
Fly for fun I believe most PPL holders believe the same as you. I have thousands of hours and learn something new every-day if not every flight.

The problem is the usual story, a minority of PPL holders see the AFR as a hurdle to be jumped in minmum time rather than as a learning experience.

It is also a good way to catch up on new rules/procedures. I fly five days a week and still find it hard to keep up. I know how hard it is if you only do 50 hours a year, to keep up with the myriad of changes.

I still occasionally see an orange VFG pulled out of the nav bag and dusted off.:eek: